Why become a member? ×

Stax Night at the Proms - BBC4 this Friday

obbm

A heads-up for Stax night at the Proms this Friday. 10:15pm on BBC4. Line-up includes Eddie Floyd, William Bell, Sam Moore, Booker T, Steve Cropper, Tom Jones, etc. As it's Jools Holland's tribute I presume his will be the house band. I hope Mr Swift is recovered for this one.

Also note that it's followed by "Hello Quo" at 11:45pm.

Couldn't they have found a better house band? I'm really cross about this: a collection of good musicians led by a gurning clown who's managed to turn the whole thing into a soup of mediocrity. Compare with the Metropole Orkestr doing the Mingus Prom last week.

IMHO, of course. Other indifferent bands are available.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1504103049' post='3362704']
Couldn't they have found a better house band? I'm really cross about this: a collection of good musicians led by a gurning clown who's managed to turn the whole thing into a soup of mediocrity. Compare with the Metropole Orkestr doing the Mingus Prom last week.

[/quote]I thought exactly the same. Jools effing Holland again. That'll be Stax in a boogie-woogie stylee then?

Edited by spectoremg

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1504103049' post='3362704']

[/quote]

Yeah, that guitarist with the pony-tale, some useless old has-been, he'll come a cropper....

Edited by yorks5stringer

Thought it was a bit of a mixed bag really, although enjoyed it overall.
Agreed about Sir Tom & Beverley Knight keeping it going in places, enjoyed William Bell and
James Morrison too. Some rather 'interesting' moments,particularly endings and the odd intro.
For me, the mix was a bit off - brass far too quiet, as well as Booker T's great Hammond and some
vocals, but Mr Swift was well up there thank goodness.
Also let's not forget all of the original Stax guys appearing are well into their 70's / 80's now, and
Sir Tom is still just amazing at 77.

I lasted 15 minutes before I switched off.

It sounded like a decent covers band, and very little like the originals.

Dave Swift's bass was indeed an Ibanez. He is a big fan and owns a number of those Musician basses.

Good to see that he had recovered in time for that gig.

I recorded it. The sound dropped out during the intro and I missed some of the names. It may or may not have been a local error.

I thought it was a good tribute in that some of the older participants were allowed to be involved when they were clearly in need of care.

There were nice reminders of the tunes but none of the renditions gave me an urge to get up from my seat other than to make tea during [i]Walking the Dog[/i]. That was only recognizable from the music. I don't know what was going on with it vocally. It made no sense to me at all. I felt it was more a self serving performance than a respectful tribute to Stax Records.

I wouldn't watch it again by choice. Compulsory viewing but only the once for me.

Having seen the Stax Roadshow in the mid 60's with Booker T, Duck Dunn, Steve the Colonel and the Bar Quays, Arthur Conley, Sam and Dave I was disappointed and agree with the consensus about Mr Chuckles, he's sh1te. Walking the Dog what's that all about?

In September '66 I was privelaged to be on the set of Ready Steady Go when Otis Redding headed up the Stax Band, there is no substitute for the original Artists, but Bev did a good job.

I watched some of the last half, I will watch it all before consigning it to room 1001.

Jools is not good at that sort of thing.All this "Are you ready to hear such-and-such.I said......"As if somebody is gonna shout "Naw,hold on a minute Jools.I cant find ma glasses". Old hat.Still,it was live,which cant be bad.Some sweet soul music getting done,but who were the 2 rappers or whatever they were,and why were they there?