Why become a member? ×

Amplug - what a pile of junk

markdavid

I don't usually post on forums to trash an item but i am done with Amplug, 2nd one broken in 6 months,snapped in the same place(by the input) and i am not at all rough with my equipment,the build quality on these is appaling, rant over, just needed to get that off my chest

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1504047979' post='3362391']
Yup. I owned one when they first came out and before long it ended up in a drawer, never to be used again. Then I got myself a Phil Jones Bighead and never looked back!

Edit: Danny beat me to it.
[/quote]

Trouble is, with the Amplug and Amphones you can basically plug your headphones into your bass - no patch cables, no unit dangling about... if they made a bighead with built in effects and drum machine that plugged right into the bass that would be great but as it is, I think it's something and nothing.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1504084863' post='3362506']

Trouble is, with the Amplug and Amphones you can basically plug your headphones into your bass - no patch cables, no unit dangling about... if they made a bighead with built in effects and drum machine that plugged right into the bass that would be great but as it is, I think it's something and nothing.
[/quote] they are a great idea the Amplug but very poorly executed, i have no doubt i am not the first person whos Amplug has snapped.
That being said i guess they have no incentive to improve the product after all if it breaks then a new one will be required which means more money for Amplug

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1504084863' post='3362506']

[/quote]

I agree, the ability to plug straight in is excellent. I do wish someone else would make something with the form factor of the Amplug but more durable. PJB would nail it. I'm sure it's something that Chris at Smooth Hound could probably whip up quite easily too.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1504114007' post='3362805']
In an opposite fashion, you could use a pedal coupler to have the PJB Bighead dangling out of your jack socket with no patch cables if that's your thing too!
[/quote]

Reckon it's a bit heavy for that really. Currently I have a 'Noels Bass Mycro' 9v headphone amp that I dangle from the socket and it's not very neat (plus the thing produces a bit of hiss and doesn't have an Aux input)

I'm another one who ended up having two break on me in under a year. First one the headphone socket came away from the board inside then the next one the jack broke off.
I decided to get something sturdier so the PJB Big Head was what I went for and so far it's been a great purchase. Now if I could find a small hard or padded case that could hold the charging and aux cables that would be great.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1504115369' post='3362814']
Reckon it's a bit heavy for that really. Currently I have a 'Noels Bass Mycro' 9v headphone amp that I dangle from the socket and it's not very neat (plus the thing produces a bit of hiss and doesn't have an Aux input)
[/quote]

I wasn't being serious :crazy:

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1504135796' post='3362976']
I wasn't being serious :crazy:
[/quote]

Ah lol well you had me looking at the device online and thinking 'hmm I wonder' - but yeah it's probably a bit heavy then.

As for the belt clip idea - that's what I've got now on my Nobels thing but it's still a bit of a faff compared to simply plugging into the jack, really. I don't always take a strap if I'm traveling and/or noodling in front of the TV. Even when I do, it adds weight to the strap and feels a bit cumbersome.

Come on people give us what we want!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1504151088' post='3362990']
I'd look for camera pouches, bound to be one out there with a belt clip/loop.

I just keep mine on the desk though and don't have a need to attach it to me.
[/quote]

As a home practice setup it could be quite neat, sitting on a desk etc, no problem, but I'd only want it for when I'm NOT at my desk, where I already have a Roland headphone setup with Bassboard etc.

I think this is where the problem lies; most manufacturers believe that at home we all play our rigs and only use headphones when at a desk when everyone is asleep, and that it's second best to the former.

I MUCH prefer playing through headphones with the vibrating platform under my chair - I can get the perfect sound and feel without causing any outside noise, so no worries about annoying anyone and a much cleaner sound than using speakers plus all the ins and outs I could want, for recording, playing along with music, Youtube etc... I'm totally cut off from the outside world, as my wife will agree much to her annoyance. Normally when something needs doing at home.

Of course with an active bass you can plug straight into the output on your bass and hey presto you have sound.

Sometimes i use 2 sets of headphones. In ears out of the phone/mp3 player whatever to get the tune, over ears into the bass to hear myself and i can play along happily, no extra expense.

Less portable but more useable is a xenys 502 mixer - bass straight in, aux in, drum machine in, other instruments in etc and you aux out into a little recorder like a Zoom H2N - all good