Why become a member? ×

Upgrading an Aria STB Series bass

Rocker

I have the option of selling my Aria but am considering keeping it with a plan to upgrade the electrics. My Aria, which is an entry level bass, is modelled on a J bass but it has active circuitry.

I read lots of positive comments about Entwistle replacement pickups. If a replacement J control plate is the same size as fitted on the Aria, the upgrade process would be straightforward. And allow me to retain the existing electrics. Why I don't know but I understand that different value pots are needed for passive pickups.

Do you think it is worthwhile upgrading my Aria or should I sell it as it is? And buy a Squier J bass sometime in the future? Thanks.

Depends how much you like the Aria really!

If it plays like an absolute dream and you're attached to it enough that -current pickups aside- you could keep it as your main bass for a few years then it's worth upgrading for sure. If not though you're better off putting the money towards a Squier, as new pickups won't add anything to the value of an Aria bass, and a new Squier would potentially be a much better bass overall.

If it is active doesn't that make it the deluxe version? If so, a Squier isn't going to be a big step up.

If you want to go passive, the Entwistles are great for the money and then talk to Kiogon on here for one of his wiring kits.

That should keep you happy until you want to found up to the £700+ price bracket (IMHO of course)!

Edited by Mykesbass

Just a quick tip with Entwistles P bass pups - they're VERY deep and you'll possibly find they ground the bottom of the cavity and won't adjust enough height-wise. I had some and (sorry Mr Entwistle) actually wasn't blown away by the way they didn't sound like a Precision should. I put in a set of Wilkinsons and thought I had a Fender in my hands. Just sayin'......