Why become a member? ×

Ex-bands - your presence in promo and merch

NewDad

How do you feel about ex-bands continuing to feature you in their audio/video/photo promotional material? (The only band "exploiting" me in this way continues to pay me to maintain their website, so it's forgiveable.)

What about CDs on which you've performed being sold at gigs? Would you expect to still receive a cut after you've left?

Edit: the CD situation doesn't apply to me, but the band leader sold ones made with my predecessor (presumably the cash went in the kitty).

Edited by NewDad

There's a band who sacked me where the main website contains nothing but photos and videos taken by Silvie (Bluejay) containing me playing the bass.

Doesn't worry me at all, I just think it's a bit sad.

There's no money involved to get excited about, which takes any possible heat out of the situation.

Used to play with this guy up in Ealing, a real talent, but an opinionated asshat. This was about 15 years ago. We wrote tons together, we used my studio to record. Project ended abruptly.

A few weeks back I punched his name into Spotify and ta-daa, he has three collections on there, of which I had a hand in about half the songs (he's also bits from different songs to compose new material). I would say while I was initially shocked but listening back I'm glad my name is off the material as it's all been rerecorded and is frankly awful. Horrible production, terrible hand coded electronic drums.

I get a cut on CDs sold. Both were recorded prior to me joining the band.

That is more than fair. But my band has always been really cool with band money issues.

I know there are some bands where you have questionable guys that will hold back on payment after a gig or have not been honest about what the band is being paid. Not cool.

I'm spoiled and will not tolerate anything funky when it comes to money. If a band ever tried anything questionable with me they might find themselves without a bass player for the next Friday or Saturday night until it's resolved.

Blue

Edited by blue

Our cds are registered so that ppl performance royalties go to each individual.We have an agreement that prs and physical sales of it go straight in the kitty for the next recording. If they started shifting or getting loads of airplah I'd like to think we'd split the proceeds between those who funded it

Nothing to do with money but it annoys me that my band still has photos of the previous bass player and rhythm guitarist prominent on Facebook and our site. I think we should push these to the back to keep things up to date and keep us recognisable. Nothing against either previous member of the band, just about keeping everything relevant

It could be very useful to have your presence on old publicity when looking to join a new band. A bit like a visual cv.

I've recently had to step down from a busy band because of medical reasons.
The band leader asked me if I wanted all the old photos and vids with me prominent left on line. I said I was fine with it, but if the replacement bass player had an issue I'd be cool if I was erased from view.

If behind the band name there was a limited company then they could start a new company trading from that date. The accountants would then divvy up the band's money and expenses based on the separate companies, who would have different personnel.

This would cost far more to operate than most semi pro bands make.

Keep it simple. At a local level you're in with a share of the band expenses and earnings. When you leave both of those end. If the band was a good one then you can turn your presence on the website, photos and recordings to your advantage when looking for the next band.

My concern when leaving an originals band would be to have some form of written contract regarding material I had a hand in writing.

All it takes is for someone to come along in 10 years time and nick a sample off whatever website you've used, and use it to make a recording that makes millions and you're left high and dry. It's a slim chance but could always happen.

Videos of the band are tricky, they're harder to re-shoot, but getting a photographer to the next gig the band does should be simple, and produce loads of promo material to replace the old stuff. Bands should be keeping websites updated with recent photos anyway so old gig pictures will slowly slide down and out.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1504084662' post='3362504']
My concern when leaving an originals band would be to have some form of written contract regarding material I had a hand in writing.

All it takes is for someone to come along in 10 years time and nick a sample off whatever website you've used, and use it to make a recording that makes millions and you're left high and dry. It's a slim chance but could always happen.
[/quote]

Which is why you should join the PRS and get all the songs you have had a hand in writing registered and your percentage contribution noted.

[quote name='NewDad' timestamp='1503998801' post='3361973']
How do you feel about ex-bands continuing to feature you in their audio/video/photo promotional material? (The only band "exploiting" me in this way continues to pay me to maintain their website, so it's forgiveable.)

What about CDs on which you've performed being sold at gigs? Would you expect to still receive a cut after you've left?

Edit: the CD situation doesn't apply to me, but the band leader sold ones made with my predecessor (presumably the cash went in the kitty).
[/quote]

This isn't exactly an instance of direct promotion but old clips on YT can cause misunderstandings as I found out a little while back.

A member here recommended a certain tribute band for its bassist on a BC topic. He didn't then have a link to an example of the current band's line-up. I went on YT to see what he was on about and found them.

The clip was a year or more old and featured a different bassist to the one the OP had been appreciating. I didn't know and made a critical comment because the chap in question played some very busy lines. The current bassist, also a member here, saw my comment and made a statement to clarify the situation which put me in the position of having to publicly apologise to him for putting him in a bad light.

This was unforeseeable to all concerned.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1504085645' post='3362511']
There's a local band who keep using a photo with one band member's head very obviously replaced using photoshop. It's on their posters and online promo, and looks daft. If there isn't time to take new photos, I think leaving the old member in would be preferable to that.
[/quote]

Be careful. I know people who look like they have photoshopped heads in real life!

I'd want the band to fix the stuff that's easy to fix - FB/social media/websites, etc can easily be redone, even if it's just a note to confirm that you've left and there's now someone new in the band. Actually I'd be less bothered about that, unless there was a huge bust up, but I'd expect them to do it for the sake of my replacement. But not hugely bothered either way (unless the band had subsequently done something I strongly disapprove of, like a Combat 88 fundraiser, or a country & western album).

the merch isn't an issue for me particularly at my level as it rarely pays for more than costs and a couple of pints, and CDs tend to be used for promotional purposes and given away freely rather than sold. Possibly it helps that I've largely been in bands with mates and things like writing credits have never been disputed as everybody knows who wrote what. Though it's never actually ever been tested, as nothing I've done has subsequently been used for any profit...in fact I've left most of my bands at the point that they break up. I'd like to think that my old band mates wouldn't try to screw me over if that happens, but I'd probably not worry too much, especially if it's just the odd CD sale that I'm missing out on.

I knew a guy who found out he had been replaced in that sort of way in reverse

He was told a gig had been cancelled. He happened to go to the pub for a drink and saw the posters were still up and discovered the gig was still on.

He then looked at their facebook page and noted the photos were the same, but they had been cropped to remove him. In one instance he was in the middle, so someone had used MS Paint to draw a pillar where he was!
I probably shouldn't have laughed!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1504110958' post='3362774']
Didn't "missing in action" JTUK's band basically split up and reform with everyone but him then wipe him from the Facebook pages?
[/quote]
Misplaced strides ended his gigging career.

I care not a jot. It's real world stuff. If you work without contracts, you can't get arsey when stuff like this is managed casually. These approaches are generally more about pragmatism than anything. As has been said, there is rarely any money involved, just egos. Hence, I care not a jot.

Context - two-bit cover band...

Both myself and the singer (we both left independently of each other on the same day) are in most of the 'live' phone-shot videos that are on the band FB page. I'm OK with that, apart from I don't think that the two replacements are as good. (Yes I know...ego can be a fragile thing!) I feel like the band is being sold under false pretense when the headline videos aren't the current line up.

Having said that, I loose exactly zero sleep over this.