Why become a member? ×

Cheap Hi Beams.

Cato

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1505112122' post='3369458']
These are great strings. They feel much less stiff than D'Addario but still have that 'zing'. I've not tried them in anger yet, but at this price it might be worth stocking up.
[/quote]

Yeah, they are definitely lower tension than the "usual suspect" strings of the same gauge. That's probably because of the round, rather than hex core.
Another thing, not that I've tried that many sets of SS, (I normally choose nickels), they are noticeably smoother on the fingers than other sets of SS I've tried.
I'm still trying to get my head around the tone.... Seems to be slightly "scooped" in the mids.... Not necessarily a bad thing.

Hmm. Not sure about these! I cranked the rig up last night and played a load of our current set, bass only. I don't think I'd describe the sound as scooped exactly, it's more that the top end is so extreme that it masks even the bass. IOW the bottom end also seems light and when playing harmonics there's a bit of a lack of punch - they really pop when you strike the string and ring for ever, but the harmonics sound thin, as if the highest overtones are dominating. I'm hoping that a bit of sweat will tame them a bit and a more rounded character will emerge. I don't think I've ever said that about a string before - usually I like them fresh as a daisy straight from the pack. The low tension has required me to adapt my technique a bit too since they offer much less resistance when digging in. What I do like about them is that despite being 105 on the bottom, they feel more like 100 and are very smooth to the touch. I've actually taken my action down since fitting them. Definitely not like other strings. I'm tempted to stick some on my fretless Jazz and see what I get. I suspect that on a Stingray, they are just a bit of a treble overload.

I've used DR Hi-Beams for over a decade now on all my basses. I love them. I'd tried the Dunlop Super Brights last year when loads of players were raving about them. For me, the Dunlop strings had vertblittle bass fundamental compared to the DR strings.

Thanks for providing the link to the deal on the Hi-Beams. I'm now awaiting my own delivery.

[quote name='Srwu' timestamp='1505247556' post='3370550']
Thanks, I wasn't sure as Amazon described them as 'medium'. I've placed my order!
[/quote]

I think they meant medium gauge. Definitely long scale.

They are still incredibly bright sounding after a good couple of hours of playing last night. Not sure they are the best choice for a Stingray and aluminium speaker cones!

My strings took a couple of weeks to arrive from the States. As for some comments regarding, are they the real thing?", I can confirm that they're genuine DR Strings. I had a couple of other sets here at home. The new cheapo ones are exactly the same - materials, packaging, etc. Mega deal!!!