Why become a member? ×

SWR Super Redhead - tubes

Helderius

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1503895196' post='3361349']
Like for like unless you know what you're doing. Get expert advice.
[/quote]
Hi Dan, the amplifier is in Portugal, it has been very hot.
I wonder if that can not affect either.
I hope it's nothing serious

Swapping the valve is easy and pretty cheap, and there is only one - try that first. My experience is that preamp valves go on for many many years, and usually just stop working after getting banged about in transport.

I'd also check the speakers/tweeter. Its quite a lot of power into some not very great speakers (by current standards) so its easy to damage them by putting too much into them. The original version was something like 240w but the Super version upper that quite a bit..something like 350w into the internal 2x10" cab.

SWR's always get hot (by design), especially those without internal fans - if the valve makes no difference and the speakers seem ok then get it checked over for failing components.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1503934423' post='3361655']
Swapping the valve is easy and pretty cheap, and there is only one - try that first. My experience is that preamp valves go on for many many years, and usually just stop working after getting banged about in transport.

I'd also check the speakers/tweeter. Its quite a lot of power into some not very great speakers (by current standards) so its easy to damage them by putting too much into them. The original version was something like 240w but the Super version upper that quite a bit..something like 350w into the internal 2x10" cab.

SWR's always get hot (by design), especially those without internal fans - if the valve makes no difference and the speakers seem ok then get it checked over for failing components.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot, that was very helpfull. Could you ecommend any valve?

Edited by Helderius

Don't spend much, a modern Sovtek or Electro Harmonix 12AX7 would be fine.

The original was a Groove Tube..but they just re-branded modern valves, mainly Chinese production. They run some production now, but not back then. SWR and Groove Tubes were close to each other, hence SWR's generally shipped with them.