Why become a member? ×

Brown Sugar..yes I know..but read on.

oldbass

Mid-'70s, the variety band I was drumming with had a 'Stones' segue, one part of which was 'Satisfaction'. At our first rehearsals, I play 'my' version, with accent splashes and dynamics. The band leader calls it to a halt, and asks me to play 'like the record' (but in French, of course. Do try to keep up... :mellow: ). I query this, but the fellow insists. 'OK, you're the Boss' (In French, of course...). We go through it again, and I play what's on the record. I don't know if you've listened to it recently..? Mr Watts does a constant 'One-One-One-One' on bass drum, hats pedal and snare drum, all the way through, relentlessly, with no variation at all. The tiny 'lift' in there is only provided by the tambourine doing the 'chink-chink-chink' at the end of each phrase. It's dreadful; absolutely dreadful; boring as hell to play, and even more boring to listen to..! The band leader objected; I get him to listen to the 'real' track (not his memory of it...), and we all happily agree to keep [i]my [/i]interpretation, with its dynamics and accents an' all..! Playing like 'the original hit record' does not [i]always [/i]translate to a 'live' band.