Why become a member? ×

Brown Sugar..yes I know..but read on.

oldbass

On off functions band I dep with now and again sent round an updated list couple of weeks back with one new additon, "Brown Sugar"....for the love of G not again I thinks. (have played it on and off for decades and it never once sounded right)

Get to the practise room and I see another bod standing there with yep a saxophone in hand, hes a friend of the bands..ok great.

Cathedral organist had that honky piano tone dialled into perfection and he aint afraid to pound the keys plus everyone else nailed their tones timing etc...

It really was amazing, best version I'd ever played, in fact rarely do I get choked but it sounded so darn good I couldnt beleive it.

A Stones epifany?...not quite but bloody close and amazing that its taken 40 odd years.

Anyone else have a similiar experience with other tunes etc.

A few years ago I played in a Dire Straits tribute band. I wasn't massively keen having endured years of hearing them on the radio.

As rehearsals got under way it became clear what brilliant songs MK wrote and just how beautiful his guitar playing is. A whole new appreciation started which has continued.

Nice one mate, I love it when that happens.

Had the same feeling with "Superstition" last year. I have played it on both drums and bass over the years and although I like the song It never felt quite right. Anyway, a start up band last year, third or fourth rehearsal, and I am waiting for the vocalist to sort something out and I simply start playing a steady 4 beat, slapping the string. One note. The guitarist picks up on it and begins to add a few "Chucka chucka's with the Wah pedal, and then he improvises with the riff from "Nobody's fault but mine". Suddenly the keys player comes in with the riff from "Superstition" the guitarist joins in, and myself and the drummer jump on it. It was magic, even the vocalist nailed it, sometimes all the stars just line up.

Edited by mikel

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1503654621' post='3359948']
Our female singer didn't like the lyrics to BS so it got binned before it started!
[/quote]

Yep heard that before...never really listened closely to the lyrics but no doubt none of it will be acceptable in the crazy PC world we now all in habit...

I think you can get a thing where not everyone in the band shares the the same empathy with a tune and it never settles or sounds right.
Then you may get an instance when due to maybe just one or two of the players, for what ever reason, suddenly "get it" or perhaps you get to play the same tune but with better players and it all comes together.

For me the frustrating thing can be when a tune that used to sound great with band A now sounds rubbish when played with band B but the members of band B tell you it cant be done and a list of why so.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1503654494' post='3359946']
A few years ago I played in a Dire Straits tribute band. I wasn't massively keen having endured years of hearing them on the radio.

As rehearsals got under way it became clear what brilliant songs MK wrote and just how beautiful his guitar playing is. A whole new appreciation started which has continued.
[/quote]

Agreed. His understated, laconic style often hides the wonderful melodies and clever lyrics he has come up with. As for his guitar playing, lyrical and fitting for every song would be my take.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1503654621' post='3359948']
Our female singer didn't like the lyrics to BS so it got binned before it started!
[/quote]

I don't like them either - it was suggested as an addition to our set for last NYE and was turned down flat by me. Thee are plenty of other better Stones songs.

What Brown Sugar gets from Keef, and no one else, is the riff played in an open tuning.

Everyone else is playing in standard tuning which doesn't make it wrong, but it still isn't [i]right[/i].

Like All Right Now. Most guitarists are close but don't play the correct riff. Then try playing a Who song in a different key (no capo), with a different chord inversion. Same song and OK. . . . just not [i]right[/i].

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1503657125' post='3359997']
I don't like them either - it was suggested as an addition to our set for last NYE and was turned down flat by me. Thee are plenty of other better Stones songs.
[/quote]

Not saying BS is the be all and end all of classic tunes but original R&R is edgy and difficult thats why its so brilliant. Everything today has to be safe, careful, and risk averse....

Edited by oldbass

[quote name='oldbass' timestamp='1503654976' post='3359956']

Yep heard that before...never really listened closely to the lyrics but no doubt none of it will be acceptable in the crazy PC world we now all in habit...
[/quote]

It's just not a very happy go lucky subject for a wedding, I'm inclined to agree with her.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1503655032' post='3359960']
What Brown Sugar so often lacks (apart from the sax) is acoustic guitar.
[/quote]

Absolutely. Along with -
Drummer not playing the toms in correct places , same for the crash cymbals.
Guitarists not getting the open tuning thing / overplaying.
Incorrect lyrics (I was guilty of this for years...) and not singing over the outro.
Proper ending !!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1503657213' post='3360001']
What Brown Sugar gets from Keef, and no one else, is the riff played in an open tuning.

Everyone else is playing in standard tuning which doesn't make it wrong, but it still isn't [i]right[/i].

[b]Like All Right Now.[/b] Most guitarists are close but don't play the correct riff. Then try playing a Who song in a different key (no capo), with a different chord inversion. Same song and OK. . . . just not [i]right[/i].
[/quote]

Yep. To play it with one guitar you need to nail the live versions, as the recording is two guitars.

Oh god. Another thread of getting the cover exactly like the original. :facepalm:

Just play the bloody tunes guys!

The two tunes that spring to mind for me as being difficult to arrange for a band are Get Back by the Beatles and I'm a Believer by the Monkees.

Both have strange intertwining rhythms and you have to work with the other musicians to decide who is going to cover what parts as they don't always just fall into place. I've had to abandon both songs in cover bands when people have been trying too hard, but nailed them both at jams. Never worked that out.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1503691377' post='3360402']
Oh god. Another thread of getting the cover exactly like the original. :facepalm:
[/quote]

Trying to play it exact is just as valid as trying to recreate something , when are we going to understand there is nothing wrong with this ?

The only thing that counts is that it's the choice of the player / band to set out to achieve what they want , and not what others say is right or wrong

This means no criticism of those that do try to recreate and none to those that play it different.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1503691377' post='3360402']
Oh god. Another thread of getting the cover exactly like the original.
Just play the bloody tunes guys![/quote]

No not really, and yes, that's what we do but this is a discussion about some simple differences in playing that can enhance or detract from particular songs. I see you have experience of 2 numbers yourself.

Comfortably Numb with a guitarist playing it note perfect through a Hiwatt stack blaring out over a field while soundchecking. Drummer ran in and started playing and the keys player was having a field day by the end. Hell of a player that guy.

As an originals band it was quite sad that it was probably what the crowd wanted to hear! (We were playing at a Prog festival headlined by the Australian Pink Floyd).

One hates to generalise but I've never remotely liked the Stones... which is usually met with incredulity from other band members. BS is one of those songs that never seems to work... most bands play it like they're all playing a different song. I'd rather not play it all.

On the other hand I've always liked this take on Jumpin' Jack Flash (and have covered the cover)... [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URR5imwzhtw"]https://www.youtube....h?v=URR5imwzhtw[/url]

Edited by thepurpleblob

Seen very few bands over the years take on and nail Stones songs. For me a large part of the Stones' (unique) sound is Keef's groove and Charlie's feel and not many bands I've seen over the years can replicate it.

Similar with cover/bar bands taking on AC/DC. Guitarists can generally nail the Angus parts but never seen anyone who can nail Malcolm's rhythm playing which, allied with the great Rudd/Williams rhythm section, give the band its unique sound.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1503728374' post='3360530']

No not really, and yes, that's what we do but this is a discussion about some simple differences in playing that can enhance or detract from particular songs. I see you have experience of 2 numbers yourself.
[/quote]

Yes. What I have experience of is people trying (and failing badly) to recreate the exact original. And getting very frustrated in the process. It's something I really try to avoid now, I am not Bill Wyman or Paul McCartney.

I've never heard any band recreate a track exactly as per the record and think there's a lot of people spending time on something that doesn't produce the results they think it does.

As I say I've had better results when everyone just relaxes and plays something than when everyone gets fixed on how the original sounded.

Edited by TimR