Why become a member? ×

Most Obscure Bass Claim to Fame?

MrDaveTheBass

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1503661821' post='3360061']
Fender made a five WAAAAY before that. Also a six. Both in the 60s.
[/quote]

[i]Production[/i] bass with a low B as we know it today.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1503652336' post='3359915']
I was at school with Les Hurdle (early Donna Summer, Brighteyes and much more) and I shared a flat with Dave Wintour (Wurzles, Wakeman and more)

Oh, and I can confidently claim to be first in UK to have played fretless BG.
[/quote]
Didn't bill wyman make one in the 60s?

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1503685388' post='3360338']
I once played Pino's fretless Stingray and I also sat on the table next to Roscoe Beck at the Jazz Cafe whilst he ate his dinner.
[/quote]

Gotta be so careful with speed reading...I thought you said 'ate his drummer'!!!!!!!!

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1503685388' post='3360338']
I also sat on the table next to Roscoe Beck at the Jazz Cafe whilst he ate his dinner.
[/quote]

We did a couple of gigs as support for The Blue Line in the earely 90s. Roscoe Beck was very interested in my SKC Bogart 5-string Jazz bass and we had a couple of nice chats about it. Back then he had a 4er and a 6er but no 5er.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1503733231' post='3360555']
Gotta be so careful with speed reading...I thought you said 'ate his drummer'!!!!!!!!
[/quote] :lol: I misread posts all the time and come up with the whackiest things.

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1503733687' post='3360560']
We did a couple of gigs as support for The Blue Line in the earely 90s. Roscoe Beck was very interested in my SKC Bogart 5-string Jazz bass and we had a couple of nice chats about it. Back then he had a 4er and a 6er but no 5er.
[/quote]I'm extremely envious, Roscoe is one of my favourite players and biggest influences.

I've got a few.

My step mum was the manager of the Who's official fan club in the early seventies. She knew all of the band quite well (is Still in occasional contact with Pete and Roger) but out of them all was closest to John Entwistle.

When I was 16 my band had the chance to headline a multi band gig at the LCR venue at the University of East Anglia arranged as part of national youth week.
Our roadie had been to see Skunk Anansie there the week before so I got him to point out where on the stage Cass Lewis had stood and made sure to stand in the same position while I played.

I'm lead to believe that my Aguilar rig was previously owned by Paul Turner.

Probably the best one though is that none other than Dave Swift himself recently liked a comment I made on one of his facebook posts!

[quote name='Lightlyseared' timestamp='1503745294' post='3360652']
My G3 used to belong to Joe Fagan and was played on the Auf Wiedersehen Pet theme.
[/quote]I used to go and see Joe all the time at my local when I was nought but a lad. Top fella, bass player and singer.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1503666693' post='3360148']
Yes, I suppose it does but he was well known and I wasn't. My brother made a homemade bass guitar, used the coil from a headphone for the pickup but because he didn't have the skills to put frets in the fingerboard he left it fretless. As I was playing DB back then I found it quite easy to play. Deffo 1959 tho, I played it at my school dance.
[/quote]

[size=4]Wow...1959? What a great story.[/size]

[b] [b][size=4]Most Obscure Bass Claim to Fame?......[/size][/b][/b][size=4]The above from 'bassace' for me. Pure story, no name dropping .......[/size][b][b][size=4] :)[/size][/b][/b]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1503753730' post='3360730']

[size=4]Wow...1959? What a great story.[/size]

[b] [b][size=4]Most Obscure Bass Claim to Fame?......[/size][/b][/b][size=4]The above from 'bassace' for me. Pure story, no name dropping .......[/size][b][b][size=4] :)[/size][/b][/b]
[/quote]

Thanks for your kind comments, Lowdown. Just a small mea culpa: it was actually 1960, I've just rooted out my A Levels cert to check the actual year. Still a bit earlier than Bill tho' but does it matter?

Here's a tenuous gear related claim to fame.

I played in a band whose drummer used the kit in the photo, many years after that picture was taken.

Check out the bass player standing behind the kit.

Also, the bass player from the Steve Gibbons Band once bought me a pint. Nice bloke but I can't remember his name.

[attachment=252156:Ronnie kit.jpg]

My friend went to buy a DB from a guy in Bristol. I went with her. He mentioned that he was in a band. Again The Wurzles raise their heads in this thread.

I bought an Eden 410XLT ex demo from The Gallery. Meshell N'degeocello had used it on a gig. Obviously it made me supremely funky.

Edit - ohohoh! James Demeter quoted a post of mine on TB.

Edited by owen

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1503669964' post='3360190']
I live 20 minutes away from a lady bass player who played bass for Jet Harris whilst he played guitar.

Even more obscure is that Phil Collins once bought me a lager and lime and he wasn't a bass player.
[/quote]
He played it in the video for "you can't hurry love"

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1503661821' post='3360061']
Fender made a five WAAAAY before that. Also a six. Both in the 60s.
[/quote]

But not a low-B Five string.

Also the 60s Fender 5-string had the upper frets missing so it had exactly the same range as their 4-string basses.

Edited by BigRedX

I drive past Roger Waters' house on the river Test quite a bit but recently noticed the teepee (or is it wigwam?) has gone. I read a David Gilmour interview where it mentioned DG having a teepee, maybe he bought it off RW and secretly everything is alright between them.
Also Sting's country pad is local and very nice too.

Geezer Butler used to live a couple of doors down from one of my secondary school friends in Lapworth, a village/town a few miles from Birmingham.

I say 'lived', I'm not sure he spent much time there.

I never saw him, neither did my mate or his parents, but he definitely owned the house.

Edited by Cato

At my first ever gig I was told to turn the bass down by a bloke who I later found out was an ex-soundman for the Who.
We recorded an EP at Sawmills Studios near Fowey, where Muse and Oasis have recorded amongst many others, so I have almost certainly pissed in the same bog and eaten at the same table as Chris Wolstenholm/Matt Bellamy et al, and the Gallagher brothers.
A chap I used to work with was the drummer for Sutherland Brothers and Quiver ('Lying in the arms of Mary'), and he was part of the touring band for Pink Floyd with The Wall. Nick Mason is a mate of his.