Why become a member? ×

Most Obscure Bass Claim to Fame?

MrDaveTheBass

I can't compete with any of the above posts but I do have the same birthday as Mark King- although I'm a few years his senior!

On a somewhat related matter; my wife and I were at the Montreux Jazz Festival some years ago and we were leaving a free concert when I bumped into a man carrying a guitar. I said sorry and moved aside. It turned out to be B.B. King!

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1506024295' post='3376017']
I was once in a band (playing bass of course!) where the lead singer was an ex girlfriend of the bass player in hot chocolate!

And, yes!, I *do* believe in miracles!
[/quote]

iirc he played a left handed John Birch Rick custom which must be about as obscure as you can get!

• 1 month later...

A punk band I was in a few years back rented a rehearsal room (off trade street in Cardiff) - Motorhead used to rent that room (and left, owing several months rent)

As a beginner, I had a couple of free lessons with Paul Gray - I played the Blue Rick he recorded most of his early basslines with, it was used on Eddie & The Hotrods "Do Anything You Wanna Do" appearance on TOTP
- Also played his bright yellow (re-sprayed) Rick that he played on many Damned songs, including appearances on the OGWT

I once owned a bass that Nicky Wire had used - he recorded 2 songs with it, and used it as backup - there's footage of it in the background onstage somewhere on youtube....

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1508866483' post='3395000']
On a more genuine bass thing, I recently found a tub of old bass strings, including some which Gordon Rowley (of Strife) gave me after a gig at Forest Town in Mansfield in the 70s.
[/quote]
So sweat and skin on them, matured in a tub for 40 years .., that must smell lovely

Just remembered another nice obscure one.

About 35 years ago when the bass player in NWOBHM band Raven left his day job to turn pro, I was brought in as his replacement.

Apparently he used to practice every lunchtime in the stationery cupboard. Maybe that's how he turned pro and I didn't - I was never that dedicated!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1506196342' post='3377048']
About 35 years ago my girlfriend, now wife, lived in a bedsit in Crouch End (London) and the bass player from Bad Manners was living in the same house. (I never met him and I wasn't even playing bass in those days).
[/quote]

Probably about 20 years ago I was drinking in a pub in Stoke Newington where there was a poster advertising Bad Manners as the headliners for the pubs' New Years Eve party. I didn't go.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1508866538' post='3395001']
Oh, and I played Greg Lake's 8-string bass a couple of times: once at Manchester uni and once in a bass shop in Romford.
[/quote]

I took my double-neck 4/8-string Shergold in to Chandlers in Kew for a service. While talking to one of the Chandlers, another interrupted, "sorry mate, we've got Greg Lake on the blower with an urgent question, mind if your man talks to him?" "Not at all. Ask him if he wants to buy a Shergold double-neck, yeah?"

(he didn't)

• 4 weeks later...

I was alerted to a *really* tenuous one yesterday evening:

Unsurprisingly, Coca-Cola have muscled in on the forthcoming release of the new Star Wars film with a branding tie-in. Basically, if you buy a bottle of coke in the next couple of months, it is likely to have a mugshot of one of the actors printed on the bottle.

The guy they commissioned to do the graphic design for these labels is also a singer-songwriter in his spare time. 

A few years ago, his PA called me out of the blue because he had an upcoming gig that his regular bassist couldn't make, so I filled in for that one.

So in short: I once played bass for the guy who went on to design the labels for the upcoming Coca-Cola branding tie-in to the new Star Wars flick.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Some years ago, (30ish) one of my friends was working as an engineer at The Gallery studio in Chertsey. This was at the time property of one Phil Manzerera of Roxy Music. In the office and on various parts of the building there were the gold and platinum discs for  record sales not just by Roxy Music but artists like Cliff Richard and the like. All had recorded those works here at the Gallery. Apart from the odd session I was given (its all about who you know) I was frequently hanging out there as we used a lot of the down time for free to construct our own masterpieces.

It dawned on us that at some time or other not only all of Roxy Music but also the Cliff had probably at one time or another used the bog for a dump. And now so had we. Does that count?

gallery.jpg

Edited by bassjim
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 00:30, Kevin Dean said:

When I was about 14 years old, Me " You sound just like the bass player from The Stranglers, He must have been a big influence on you ".....I said that to Chris Squire :) well I didn't know who they were, they were just my mates uncles band .

WINNER WINNER WINNER WINNER