Why become a member? ×

Most Obscure Bass Claim to Fame?

MrDaveTheBass

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1504015768' post='3362126']
I was in a pub in Stourbridge once when Neds Atomic Dustbin were in. They had two bass players!
Didn't talk to them.
[/quote]

My ex girlfriend used to go out with one of the bass players from Ned's Atomic Dustbin. No idea which one.

I missed meeting Lemmy by seconds when he was round at my mates with her dad. Turns out her dad was the drummer in saxon I think, who was taking over drumming duties in motorhead, Pete something. She was telling me about a strange bloke her dad fetched round who was a acting a bit spaced out. I wasn't very interested but then she mentioned a cowboy hat and warts. I asked what his name was and she said "lenny or summat like that". At that time he was my bass hero, we ran up the road to see him but he had just gone, never to show his face in sheffield again..😣

I just thought of another one.

The drummer in my band used to play in another band alongside legendary Guitar Interactive Magazine contributor and bass gear reviewer and also D'Addario, Barefaced, Dingwall and Shuker endorsing artist, the one and only Mr Dan Veall.

We've also both been known to post on the same well known online bass guitar forum ;)

The only remotely famous person I've ever appeared in a photo with is Mike Visceglia of Suzanne Vega's band, when a number of people spotted him in the car park after a gig at the NEC about 30 years ago. Very friendly guy, happily put a personalized autograph on a spare programme I'd bought for a friend. (I'd also met Ms Vega herself earlier on the tour, waited in the queue for ages and then totally lost my tongue when I reached the front, she must have thought I was a right spanner!)

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1504115566' post='3362817']
I missed meeting Lemmy by seconds when he was round at my mates with her dad. Turns out her dad was the drummer in saxon I think, who was taking over drumming duties in motorhead, Pete something. She was telling me about a strange bloke her dad fetched round who was a acting a bit spaced out. I wasn't very interested but then she mentioned a cowboy hat and warts. I asked what his name was and she said "lenny or summat like that". At that time he was my bass hero, we ran up the road to see him but he had just gone, never to show his face in sheffield again..
[/quote]I nearly pushed some birthday cake into Lemmys face ,It was at the Embassy Club in Bond st , I was chasing my drummer with a piece after he did the same to me .

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1504111552' post='3362782']
I met Nick Beggs in the queue to get into a Frank Zappa movie at the Prince Charles Cinema. His first sentence to me contained the word "willy"
[/quote]

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to reprimand the lovely Mr Beggs for his role in influencing me to play hamfisted, inept & inappropriate slap lines on numerous unsuspecting songs in the early/mid 80s. He seemed quite amused but disappointingly didn't mention willies.

As a much younger man I played in a band with John McCoy's son (Matt I think) who was a drummer. John came to see us play at Dingwalls and I'll never forget his gleaming bald head looming out of the darkness...! Lovely bloke.

I used to own a TE 4x10 from Mark King's touring rig, 1988 that would have been I think.

Once got into a lift at a trade show with a bloke holding double necked Wal, was so taken with the bass I didn't recognise Jonas Hellborg, who was on his way to do a showcase for Simmons drums, very good he was too.

The thread has already been won of course, but still:
I once bought a synth from Cesar Zuiderwijk of Golden Earring. Sadly he's not obscure enough, and also he's a drummer...

...but I sold it again, to bass player Alex Roelofs of The Nits, and since he used it for bass parts, I'm suddenly in the clear on all parameters, specially as Alex left this unknown band just as they gained some popularity - mostly in Holland.

[quote name='MrDaveTheBass' timestamp='1503574585' post='3359284']
I found out last night that the Ampeg 8x10 that I play through every week at my local rehearsal studio was used by none other than Jah Wobble at the excellent Simon Says festival in Leicester last month. (Great gig BTW).

I'm sure that he wouldn't have sounded so good had it not been for all of my hard work breaking in the cab for him. :-)

So what's your most obscure bass claim to fame?

Did Sting nick your parking spot?

Did Paul McCartney go to school with your dad?

Did you lend Lemmy your last plectrum?
[/quote]
Heather McCartney once asked me if I'd like to dance.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1504266915' post='3363779']
On a journey up the M1, the song 'Start' by The Jam came on the stereo, about which my wife commented how the bass line was an obvious rip off from The Beatles' 'Taxman'.

At the next services, I spotted Bruce Foxton, and told my wife to go and give him that feedback. She didn't.
[/quote]
She was right, though!

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1504210914' post='3363484']
The thread has already been won of course, but still:
I once bought a synth from Cesar Zuiderwijk of Golden Earring. Sadly he's not obscure enough, and also he's a drummer...

...but I sold it again, to bass player Alex Roelofs of The Nits, and since he used it for bass parts, I'm suddenly in the clear on all parameters, specially as Alex left this unknown band just as they gained some popularity - mostly in Holland.
[/quote]
I bought a synth which belonged to Roye Albrighton, of Nektar.
I have a Strat tone knob of Ritchie Blackmore's guitar from the Rainbow Rising tour.
I have some bass strings which Gordon Rowley, of Strife, gave me.
I met Jimmy Page and showed him a Ten Years After CD a couple of weeks before Alvin Lee passed away.
I've got a Ric which must've been in the factory alongside Macca's.

I went to a youth club with Cait O'Riordon's (bass in the Pogues, now ex-wife of Elvis Costello ) brother. Coincidentally my now brother in law used to deliver papers to Elvis Costello.

I was once held up getting into a practice room in Streatham by the drummer from Razorlight who was parked at the entrance to the car park while he packed up to go. Typical for a drummer to be in the way I suppose, although IME they're normally late coming in :).

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1504277973' post='3363870']
Here's an obscure one.

I used to live in a flat above a shop and the newsagent next door was owned by the sister of Welsh bassist Andy 'Wal' Coughlan, who played with among others Gary Numan,Shakin Stevens and Cerys Matthews.
[/quote]

Now there's some PROPER obscure 👏👏👏👏

My friend owns an antiques business... people phone him up to get valuations on stuff and he goes round to their houses and buys things, mostly militaria.

One time he was appraising some old stuff somewhere and noticed some gold records on the wall... turns out he was in the house of the mother of the bassist from EMF...

I know what you're thinking... that's unbelievable...

Except it's true.

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1504115566' post='3362817']
Turns out her dad was the drummer in saxon
[/quote]

Our drummer buys and sells to make money since his early retirement. He bought a 1983 Premier Projector kit on eBay for a bargain price. When he picked it up the seller said it was one half of custom kit that had to be recovered when resold so as not to break endorsement rules. The original white and red barbed wire design is still underneath the vinyl which our drummer has now removed. Turns out it's Saxons drum kit that was used on the 'Rock the Nations' tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gxWnZ0cO1Y

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1504356037' post='3364345']
Our drummer buys and sells to make money since his early retirement. He bought a 1983 Premier Projector kit on eBay for a bargain price. When he picked it up the seller said it was one half of custom kit that had to be recovered when resold so as not to break endorsement rules. The original white and red barbed wire design is still underneath the vinyl which our drummer has now removed. Turns out it's Saxons drum kit that was used on the 'Rock the Nations' tour.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gxWnZ0cO1Y[/media]
[/quote]

I used to gig with Nigel Glockler and I remember helping cart that entire kit up 3 flights of stairs to a gig in a nightclub in Eastbourne. I believe it was it first outing just after he got it.