Why become a member? ×

Most Obscure Bass Claim to Fame?

MrDaveTheBass

[quote name='MrDaveTheBass' timestamp='1503574585' post='3359284']

Did Sting nick your parking spot?
[/quote]

No, but he did ask me which one was the gents loo at a bash, having just seen a woman come out of the ones with urinals in. He was wearing Moroccan style fancy dress, complete with Fez at the time.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1503582018' post='3359368']

And I once bought an old Ampeg SVT cab that was reportedly ex-Wurzels.

[/quote]

I've gigged with the current Wurzels bass rig (Ashdown 4x10 combo). Didn't like it.

Half of my bands second album was recorded and mixed by Jim Barr, who played bass with Portishead.

I bought my first bass from the bassist of the band that went on to become The Divine Comedy.

Edited by TheRev

As I may have mentioned before on here ....... we had Lee Pomeroy, Donavan Hepburn and a couple
more guys from Jeff Lynne's ELO come to see our ELO tribute band last year. They came up to meet us as we
were packing down after the gig. Lee had a go on my Precision Lyte, and was a top fella.
Glad I hadn't seen him until the end of the gig or else would have freaked.

Not really obscure. But ... my TE GP12XV is ex MK's Summerhouse studio on the Isle of Wight: -

The only other thing I've got is.. John Diggins told me (years' ago) that The Shadows Bass player ~ Alan Jones ~ appeared on Pebble Mill from Birmingham in 1986 with a Jaydee ~ that I still own: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-CWWQMgtCk&feature=youtu.be

Edited by SimonEdward

I bought my Cort Rithimic Jeff Berlin signature bass from Neil Murray, of Whitesnake and Black Sabbath fame. In a twist of fate, I later learned that Neil had played in Bill Bruford's band covering Jeff Berlin's parts! I've also since talked to Jeff about the Rithimic bass since we are in agreement thay it's an incredible instrument.

30-something years ago when I was doing a spot of band promoting (don't recommend it), Chas Chandler came to see a band I had put on at some hall of residence at Newcastle University. Big fur coat - looked like a gangster but quite a nice bloke from what I remember. Dead now, I'm still just about struggling on.

I sold a Roland GR77B and floor controller to Phil Oakley from the human league, and I have away his letter and signature to someone on here.

Owned a Fender Jazz played by John Enwistle (have photo proof somewhere) for £750 from Barry Matthews about 15 years ago. I sold the 1965 neck for (wait for it) £150. Bass long gone too.

Have gigged with a lot of prog rock greats not all of whom have been nice people. Recorded a few albums with John Burns, prog genius and all round legend.

My favourite musical experience was driving Acker Bill to the CliftonSuspension Bridge where he pulled out his clarinet and gave us a tune live on radio. Lovely, lovely man and sadly missed in these parts of the West Country.

I once missed the chance to go out and get pissed with the Strokes to stay in and revise. Went on a pub crawl with the drummer from Kyla Shaker and once turned down a spliff from Norman Wattroy when I did a gig with Wilko Johnson.

I used to own an Overwater Original fretless 5-string bass that was (probably) the first ever 5-string basses made by Overwater, and potentially one of the oldest 5-string (low B) basses in existence. Having been made in 1983, although I know there are older 5-string basses, I've not come across anyone owns or has owned an older one, so there can't be that many.

Before me it was owned and used by Michael Féat who as well as being a member of Streetwalkers (featuring Roger Chapman ex-Family) was a prominent session bassist appearing on numerous well-known albums in the 80s and I was told that if there was any fretless bass on an album he played on there was a good chance it was played on that Overwater.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1503607801' post='3359703']
I used to own an Overwater Original fretless 5-string bass that was (probably) the first ever 5-string basses made by Overwater, and potentially one of the oldest 5-string (low B) basses in existence. Having been made in 1983, although I know there are older 5-string basses, I've not come across anyone owns or has owned an older one, so there can't be that many.

Before me it was owned and used by Michael Féat who as well as being a member of Streetwalkers (featuring Roger Chapman ex-Family) was a prominent session bassist appearing on numerous well-known albums in the 80s and I was told that if there was any fretless bass on an album he played on there was a good chance it was played on that Overwater.
[/quote]

Nice! I think the first ever production 5 was the Yamaha BB5000 in 1985? So yea I expect there weren't too many about!

I sold Glen Cornick of Tull fame a precision neck on Ebay. The fact that he lived in the states didnt bother him

He simply sent round Tull's old drummer Clive Bunker to my address to collect and pay for it, as he was flying out to L.A. to meet his old pal Glen

I only had ebay messaging with Glen, regarding the sale but had a good chinwag with Clive

Edited by fleabag

Pretty poor compared with some of the foregoing, but:
1. Previous owner of my Kramer 650B was Dave Swift (of Jools Holland's band)
2. Singer /songwriter / guitarist (and mate) in my main school band was Mark "Boo" Hewardine, later of "The Bible" and then respected singer / songwriter.
3. Backed Gary Pickford-Hopkins on bass a couple of times - vocalist with Rick Wakemans band and Wild Turkey, best known locally as one half of Gary and Taff. A real gent.
4. Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) was a former pupil at my school, and I once found a book with his name signed in! :) .....which I wish I'd kept... :(. As were most of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band.
5. Andy "Wal" Coughlan runs the studio local to me and has produced a couple of demos for my band, plays bass for Gary Numan (among others) - owns a very nice brace of Pro IIe Wals (which I've played...)

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1503599278' post='3359611']
As I may have mentioned before on here ....... we had Lee Pomeroy, Donavan Hepburn and a couple
more guys from Jeff Lynne's ELO come to see our ELO tribute band last year. They came up to meet us as we
were packing down after the gig. Lee had a go on my Precision Lyte, and was a top fella.
Glad I hadn't seen him until the end of the gig or else would have freaked.
[/quote]

My drum teacher some years back was Gregg Bissonette and one night we went to see a Van Halen tribute and he sat in for a couple (hot for teacher being one IIRC).

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1503584526' post='3359400']
I asked Scott Thunes to bless my marriage - he did and we're now divorced.
[/quote]

That's my favourite right there!

I used to work with the bass player from the Nite People (this is pretty obscure) from Bournemouth. He had loads of stories from the late 60s/early 70s and a photo of himself with Keith Moon.
He didn't have a bass at the time I worked with him so I lent him my Marlin Slammer. Put through an old 60s Vox and played by an old pro, it sounded quite good!
When I got it back (he gigged it loads) the knobs had been replaced with 'chicken head' knobs and it had been relic'd slightly. Didn't mind though, a Marlin is not a bass you want to keep pristine.