Why become a member? ×

New Head and Cabs

shafty2.3

Been playing bass on and off for close to 50 years. Played double bass for a few years and recently returned to electric after reforming my 1977 band and now looking to upgrade my current rig. Over the years Ive tried many different combinations, good and bad, but my knowledge of current gear needs updating. I want a powerful head that can handle large venues, with 2 or 3 cabs that can be split for smaller venues and more easily transported. Mostly play a Ricky 4001 but also a vintage Fender Jazz and a dobro. Been chekcing out the obvious suspects, Ampeg, Ashdown, MarkBass and Mesa Boogie. I'd appreciate advice and suggestions, no cost restrictions....Im treating myself! Thanks.

Your requirement is exactly the same as mine. After a lot of trial and error, I've ended up with a Genzler Magellan 800 and 3 Barefaced cab's (a Super Compact Gen 3 and a couple of One10s).

The amp: compact class D with a nice, neutral core sound; 2 switchable channels (clean and driven that can be set at different volume levels); 2 shaping options (modern & vintage) controlled by a contour pot; delivers full power at 4ohms or 2.7ohms for 2 or 3 x 8ohm cabs; and is much more reasonably priced than the other American alternatives.

The cab's: compact/light-weight; highly efficient; 10" drivers have a slightly warmer 'classic' sound than the 12".

I've added a mini board with 2 foot-switches (one switches between the 2 basses I use and the other changes channels on the amp), a tuner and a volume pedal. It's taken me over 50 years to get here but I'm really chuffed with this set-up!

I'm using a Gallien Krueger MB800 Fusion into a single Barefaced Big Baby 2 & couldn't be happier.
The only thing I'd like to add is another BB2 some time.
This combination is the best rig I have ever played through & I certainly don't want for power in my black sabbath tribute band.

This obviously runs the risk of everyone just listing their set up, which I guess is okay
insomuch as that's what we currently use / recommend. So......

I've used GK amps and cabs for a long time now with no problems whatsoever. At the moment
am running a Gk1001RB head into a GK Neo410 cab, and it's great, lots of power and tone options.
My smaller rig is a GK MB800 head into a Barefaced Compact 1x15 cab. The head is amazing, weighing
next to nowt but again tons of power and variety of tonal options. You need to check out Barefaced cabs
whatever head you decide on - they really are fantastic.

Of the makes listed, both Ashdown and Markbass will fit the bill nicely for all requirements, power and modular. The Ashdown Rootmaster range is very nice, and light/portable. As are most of the Markbass range. Ampeg tends to be weightier, and I`ve no knowledge of Mesa.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1503491510' post='3358656']
When you say large venues, I wonder what size you mean and do you also mean without PA support?
[/quote] Can be any size really. Last big one we did was about 2000. I never DI the bass with our own (small PA) but with venue PAs they always want to DI everything, especially bass. Most of the time the idiots at the desk make a mess of it, too deep and booming and I like to know exactly what the audience are hearing....so if I can avoid DI I will. Having a rig that has enough on-stage volume and only using the PA for tweeking and drummer foldback is ideal. My guitarist has the same problem with sound men, he likes to use feedback whereas they often want as little on-stage volume as possible. Hope that makes sense. Thanks

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1503494963' post='3358694']
A good friend of mine does Amp repairs & He said that he would avoid MB stuff , He said they don't have a lot built in protection & has just repaired 3 in a row for a local Hire company .
[/quote] Interesting!!!! Thanks.

A good friend of mine does Amp repairs & He said that he would avoid MB stuff , He said they don't have a lot built in protection & has just repaired 3 in a row for a local Hire company .
[/quote]

That's funny 'cos I've heard another amp guy saying Markbass stuff is solid but he wouldn't have an Ashdown if it was free!

If I was looking for a money no object rig I'd definately have Eich and Barefaced on my list to check out. Might be worth having a look at AER as well for a smaller venue solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_MiimcHKGQ&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8whYwmm6Y

[/quote] Is MB Mesa Boogie or Markbass?

This is what He said about the MB heads
"The power supply has no current limit protection and no fuses. If a pair of output transistors goes short circuit (a common failure mode), the power supply works harder and eventually shorts out its two power transistors before the main fuse blows."

I've just acquired a Mesa Boogie prodigy four:88 and would say it is a league ahead of anything else I have owned, which includes Ashdown, Mark bass, TC Electronic, Eden, GenzBenz, even my beloved old Trace Elliot. I've never had an all valve head before but now know what the fuss is about. Valve pre-amps don't come close, really. The beauty of this model is that it is compact and relatively lightweight at 14kg. Controls are straightforward, too.

Personally, I'd probably go for 3 of the Barefaced Two10 cabs. Maybe start with a couple and if you feel you need the third it's always an option.

As for amps, more a personal choice so I'd simply say try a few. IMO Ashdown ABM are great amps & my Mesa D800 has a lovely tone for a micro size. Best amp I ever had was the Mesa Carbine M6, that could fell a tree at 50 yards! Almost too powerful for the smaller gigs though.