Why become a member? ×

Barefaced One 10

giamma

Does anyone have experience with this cab and double bass?
I actualy play with an Aguilar Tone Hammer and a Gallien Krueger mbx 112 or an Epifani 12" and, to be honest, 90% of my gig are with the mbx cause is really unbeatable for its portability but I would like something come full range. Could the Barefaced be a good option for replace the GK?

My favourite rig for DB gigs is an Aguilar TH350 into a Barefaced OneTen. The whole thing, complete with cables etc., fits into a standard cajon bag which I can wear as a backpack while towing my DB behind me.

This rig does NOT sound as good as my Bass Tank doubling amp, or as some of the glorious amps & combos at the Double Bass Bash earlier this year, but it combines extreme portability (it's far lighter than most of my rigs) with being very sound-engineer-friendly where I'm going through the PA (excellent DI and very high-quality backline).

If the slight drop in quality of reproduction of "that DB sound" worries me, then I simply add a Fishman Plat Pro pedal to the rig.

Sorry no DB experience but my electro-acoustic sounds lovely through my One10. These cabs really are excellent and I'm just waiting for my second one to arrive so I'll have a mini-stack. In fact, I'll probably add a 3rd one as I now have an amp that switches down to 2.7ohms.

I certainly agree with HJ re convenience and portability. I get a good sound with my OneTen from my Kolstein Travel bass fitted with a magnetic pickup. And it has a strong sound with my 'outside' bass, a ply bass with an Underwood pickup. But with my Bryant and Gage Lifeline pickup it is too dark with not a lot of mid range articulation. And I guess this'll be the case with the Gage Realist. You can mitigate the darkness by standing the cab off the floor a bit.

The Barefaced Super Midget is a better proposition, not a lot heavier but significantly more expensive.

I had a OneTen and it didn't really work out for my needs playing double bass. There was just not enough clarity. It's great at other things but if you want a full detailed DB tone I'd look elsewhere. As mentioned, the Midget would probably be better suited or maybe the Fearless F110 built by Tricky Audio.

If you don´t mind mention it in Barefaced thread, try to check the 10.5 on [url="http://www.soundelirium.com"]www.soundelirium.com[/url] - Jan is a custom bass cabinet maker, well known member of Czech bass guitar forum (some of his work is here [url="http://baskytara.com/topic7873-soundelirium-thread-a-samodomo-contents.html"]http://baskytara.com...o-contents.html[/url] ). He is starting some serious bussiness now, offering his suprisingly light and perfectly constructed cabinets with custom sound characteristics... Edited by ljbass

Seems that the most of you agreed with the fact that the sound isn't full range. I've been playing with GK mbx since now and the portability is really unbeatable..I was looking for something of the same size/weight but with a more complex tone..seems I'm looking for something that simply doesn't exist :D

[quote name='giamma' timestamp='1503563629' post='3359116']
Could the Barefaced be a good option for replace the GK? . . . seems I'm looking for something that simply doesn't exist. . . [/quote]

There are always options.

Barefaced would certainly be a good choice and easily replace your GK. They have a 1 month trial period after which you can send the cab back. IMO if the One10 doesn't work then the SM will. There's also the Genzler Magellan series, AER Bass One combo and the smaller Aguilar cabs. All great products.

One thing that you really shouldn't expect is to replicate the sound of your old rig when you change parts of your signal chain. Change an amp or cab and you [u]will[/u] sound different. Upgrade to the right cab and that difference will be an improvement to your sound.

Edit to add a Bergantino 112 to the list

Edited by chris_b

I had two Barefaced One10 cabs, but wasn't fully satisfied. Sold them and now have a Gen3 Barefaced Super Midget. This is a fabulous cabinet. I also have a Greenboy 12/6 cab (like the Tricky ones) but the Super Midget has more detail in the sound, and is smaller and lighter . The One 10s are coloured, the SM is transparent. What you put in is what you get out. If you power with GK you get a coloured sound. If you power with Acoustic Image you get transparent sound. It depends on what you want to hear.

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1504086979' post='3362537']
It depends on what you want to hear.
[/quote]

You've hit the nail on the head there! I found my Gen 1 Midget T was a bit too transparent and light at the bottom end. From what I can gather, the latest Midget with the current 12" driver is still transparent but more substantial.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1503565793' post='3359153']
There are always options.

Barefaced would certainly be a good choice and easily replace your GK. They have a 1 month trial period after which you can send the cab back. IMO if the One10 doesn't work then the SM will.

[/quote]

Totally quote, if I might add I think this can be applied also the other way around... If the SM doesn't work for you then the One10 will!
I'm an absolute “transparent sound” nerd (always been using Euphonic Audio cabs and Acoustic Image heads), but when I switched to Barefaced I just fell in love with the 10 cabinets. I bought a SM and then sold it to my teacher. Looking to add a second One10 to my minirig of doom powered by the Quilter Bass Block!!! (amazing combo Quilter + One10)

[quote name='giamma' timestamp='1503563629' post='3359116']
Seems that the most of you agreed with the fact that the sound isn't full range. I've been playing with GK mbx since now and the portability is really unbeatable..I was looking for something of the same size/weight but with a more complex tone..seems I'm looking for something that simply doesn't exist :D
[/quote]

Reading this thread again. . . . Is the MBX a full range cab? It's a good cab but it's a 112 shoe horned into a box that's really only big enough for a much smaller speaker and way too small to let a 12 breath and develop a full sound. I used an MBX but only with an MB150S and playing with an acoustic guitarist. I'd put my One10 and TH500 up against that rig any day.

It seems there are DB players that love the One10 and those that love the slightly larger SM. As Alex says, the bigger cab will usually sound better but I would expect either of those cabs to be better than a lone MBX on a gig.