[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1503443165' post='3358369']
Couldn't be more different :).

1- Michael Manring - the book of flame
2 - Steve Lawson - grace and gratitude
3 - Anthony Jackson - anything!
4 - John Patitucci - line by line
5 - Jonas Hellborg - silent life
[/quote]

Not a bad list. Hellborg and Manring are great, though I thought his music was better before it became all about altered tunings and millions of harmonics. Anthony Jackson, what more can I say? Pattituci also did some great work with Chick Corea.

I'd say:

1) Jeff Berlin - any of his records but Pump It! is a great place to start.

2) UZEB - Between the lines

3) Stuart Hamm - Show me what you can do

4) Rush - Hold your fire

5) Jaco Pastorius - Shadows and Light

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1503496496' post='3358706']
When I had an 11 year old he was listening to Pink Floyd and learning Comfortably Numb; but at 23 he's saying 'actually, Pink Floyd are often a bit sh*t'.
[/quote]

As someone who was getting seriously into music whilst Pink Floyd were producing some of their best known works I've always thought that they were mostly "A bit sh*t".

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1503609171' post='3359726']
As someone who was getting seriously into music whilst Pink Floyd were producing some of their best known works I've always thought that they were mostly "A bit sh*t".
[/quote]

Lucky, then, that Mr Venom came along to raise the bar, eh..? :lol: :P

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1503576539' post='3359306']
'Uncle, I want to play bass, who should I listen to?'

'Well, I could certainly make plenty of suggestions, but who have you been listening to that has made you want to play bass?'

'I like Drum 'n' Bass '

'Well, you'll want to learn to sample and to use a synth, as well as pickup bass guitar and/or double bass, but let's ask your cousin, who is a Drum 'n' Bass promoter as well as a musician ..... '

'..... apparently he's got a long list of stuff for you but he says Skream's Dutch Flowerz is all you need to know in four minutes.'

Or is Basschat just too rockist for this stuff?
[/quote]

I liked that - would have preferred something else to happen, but was like an updated dub.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1503570306' post='3359231']
If that's all ET jr. needs to know, then he may be asking the wrong questions ...

:lol:
[/quote]
Your avatar likes it Jack - I swear it was dancing in time :D

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1503592386' post='3359517']
I quite enjoyed that - the sort of thing you might listen to whilst going for a run or cycle. Got any more?
[/quote]
No offence meant, but given the general negative reaction to newer genres of music in this place, I feel uncertain whether you are serious or taking the piss.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1503666226' post='3360137']
Lots of influence from Dub in Drum 'n' Bass and related genres and sub-genres.

ETjr plays in a 'Gypsy Dub' band.
[/quote]

Sounds great - is he local to you, do they gig? Would an old fart like me get in to one of their gigs?!

If it was a selection of bass heavy albums to inform and inspire top two on the list would probably be two of the compilation CDs ni my collection:

- Motown Chartbusters Vol 3 and
- Atlantic Soul Classics

Between them they cover a huge range of soul standards.

Then I'd throw in a Thin Lizzy album for some tasteful but inventive rock bass, probably...

- Jailbreak

Then because the bass is so tuneful and funky on it I'd add...

- Tribes Vibes and Scribes by Incognito

And finally...

- Rush, Moving Pictures

Just because...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1503474392' post='3358443']
How bizarre is all this? I get the impression that a number of posters on this thread don't actually have children. :yarr:

The only answer that will actually get you anywhere is, "What/who do you like listening to? Fine, play along with that then."

If I'd asked my father what to listen to if I wanted to hear great basslines, I'd have spent the next 20 years listening exclusively to Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra.

Your kids don't want to listen to "your" music. That's part of being your kids. :lol:
[/quote]

your choice of music must suck then, get off your high horse, who said only people with kids can comment?

I've brought up a kid, he loved my music, he wanted to be like me, you must be doing something wrong lol

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1503663790' post='3360097']
No offence meant, but given the general negative reaction to newer genres of music in this place, I feel uncertain whether you are serious or taking the piss.
[/quote]
I wasn't taking the piss. Offence taken.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1503829493' post='3361059']
I wasn't taking the piss. Offence taken.
[/quote]

My apologies ...

My information is check out, for example ....

[media]http://youtu.be/RJF1eSUcJac[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/5xGlI11JwFE[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/v3OzptqCDvw[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/smWtcKlWFoo[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/Q5jZXE3bNPg[/media]

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1503672320' post='3360217']
Sounds great - is he local to you, do they gig? Would an old fart like me get in to one of their gigs?!
[/quote]

The band, called Euphony, haven't been gigging this year due to them all (that's now eleven of them if and when they can all make it) having other things to do in various parts of the country.

They haven't played London or Brighton since last summer. But old farts were allowed, although I've had to pay like anyone else.

If you're interested though, you can hear two EPs at Bandcamp, from 2013 as a six-piece group and 2014 as nine-piece group ...

[url="https://euphonybrighton.bandcamp.com/album/mistakes-ep"]Mistakes EP - 2013[/url]

[url="https://euphonybrighton.bandcamp.com/album/outside-in-ep"]Outside In EP - 2014[/url]

ETjr and his muso mates did steal from my vinyl and cd collections but the thing is they were also listening to a massive variety of world music and European classical music now so easily available on the internet which is an echoed of the earlier comment about listening to everything.

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1503484855' post='3358570']
Musical answer...
"everything"
Band situation...
"everyone else"
[/quote]

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1503484261' post='3358561']
They should familiarise themselves with:

Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass

Puretone - Addicted to Bass

Theme from "Seinfeld"

Because when they tell people they are a bass player, the first question nearly every faft ducker will ask is, "ooh, are you [i]all about that bass[/i]?" A smaller subset of people may instead ask, "so are you [i]addicted to bass[/i], wha-oh-wha-oooh?" In either case, they will probably grin inanely in the assumption that they are the first person to have ever asked a bass player that question.

And when people see them carrying their bass guitar, a large number of them, having got past the two obvious questions above, will then ask, "ooh, can you play the thing from 'Seinfeld'?" Possibly while doing air-slap-bass in a manner not unlike Alan Partridge.
[/quote]

I'm unfamiliar with those three pieces and I have never been asked questions about them in 45 years - perhaps I need to get out more.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1503832916' post='3361088']

The band, called Euphony, haven't been gigging this year due to them all (that's now eleven of them if and when they can all make it) having other things to do in various parts of the country.

They haven't played London or Brighton since last summer. But old farts were allowed, although I've had to pay like anyone else.

If you're interested though, you can hear two EPs at Bandcamp, from 2013 as a six-piece group and 2014 as nine-piece group ...

[url="https://euphonybrighton.bandcamp.com/album/mistakes-ep"]Mistakes EP - 2013[/url]

[url="https://euphonybrighton.bandcamp.com/album/outside-in-ep"]Outside In EP - 2014[/url]

ETjr and his muso mates did steal from my vinyl and cd collections but the thing is they were also listening to a massive variety of world music and European classical music now so easily available on the internet which is an echoed of the earlier comment about listening to everything.
[/quote]
Thanks Dave, will check those links out this evening.