Why become a member? ×

"Dad, I want to play bass, who should I listen to?"

interpol52

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1503444564' post='3358374']
"Right then boys; do you want me to tell who/what* I think are the best players/bands/songs/albums/styles*, or do you want me to suggest something you might have a chance of actually being able to play sometime soon?"

*Delete as appropriate
[/quote]This times ten.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1503474726' post='3358445']
Carrying on the 5 songs theme (as most likely to succeed):

Money - Pink Floyd

Goin' Underground - The Jam

Peaches - The Stranglers

Killer Queen - John Deacon and some other people

Papa's Got A Brand New Bag - James Brown

5 slightly different flavours and none of them so difficult that you can't have a stab after a while.
[/quote]Great suggestions.

I find if I push my tastes too hard it backfires. I was delighted when Martha got into Elvis but I had to quit whilst I was ahead. Only yesterday I was showing her some Ramones songs and playing along to show that it would be easy to get her started and she replied with "I think I'd rather play guitar than bass!" My heart shattered, slightly <_<

My sons just started getting guitar lessons but he's free to use any of my bass, acoustic or electric if he wants. For me, he wants to learns stuff from songs he likes, and he's inherited my own eclectic tastes so would probably go with

Rappers Delight - Sugarhill Gang (He's more into rap than Chic, but loves the bass line "That's the one you always play Daddy")
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac - GoTG2 has a lot to answer for but he loves it, one of the first lines I learnt
Another One Bites the Dust - various TV game shows have a lot to answer for, but have told him the story of John Deacon trying to emulate Good Times
Smells Like Teen Spririt - obvs
Smoke in the Water - but only if I nail the guitar solo - no pressure...

I totally agree with letting children/beginners playing along to the music that gets them going the most. Enthusiasm and enjoyment will be let drivers in improvement.

If I had to throw one bassist at them from my own POV it would be anything by Bernard Edwards. Such awesome groove, bass to the fore and memorable/fun lines.

Some youtube videos with Tal Wilkenfield, John Mayer. Even if they seem to play music of the past they are themselves very present. And when he is ready maybe some Boney M and some Vulfpeck just to demonstrate that the bass often carries the whole thing through. On a second thought - maybe you shouldn't show him a video with Bony M.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1503523717' post='3358974']
Album #1 Joy Division - Substance
Album #2 Joy Division - Substance
Album #3 Joy Division - Substance
Album #4 Joy Division - Substance
Album #5 Joy Division - Substance
[/quote]

I think I perceive the inklings of a trend creeping in here... :lol:

(No, I've never heard of 'em; I'll look it up. One never knows, I might even like it... B) )

Leave a thread for 24 hours and what do you come back to?

Recommendations for 21st Century music include Leonard Cohen.

Tributes to the 'Now' series of compilations. Every time I think about that, I hear Brian Glover's voiceover from way back when.

http://youtu.be/quupYqZDQBg

And no one recommending drum'n'bass.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1503569816' post='3359225']
Skream! - Skream - 2006

Track: Dutch Flowerz - according to ETjr, all you need to know in slightly over four minutes .....

[media]http://youtu.be/yBv4kWsi4TE[/media]
[/quote]

If that's all ET jr. needs to know, then he may be asking the wrong questions ...

:lol:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1503570306' post='3359231']
If that's all ET jr. needs to know, then he may be asking the wrong questions ...

:lol:
[/quote]

'Uncle, I want to play bass, who should I listen to?'

'Well, I could certainly make plenty of suggestions, but who have you been listening to that has made you want to play bass?'

'I like Drum 'n' Bass '

'Well, you'll want to learn to sample and to use a synth, as well as pickup bass guitar and/or double bass, but let's ask your cousin, who is a Drum 'n' Bass promoter as well as a musician ..... '

'..... apparently he's got a long list of stuff for you but he says Skream's Dutch Flowerz is all you need to know in four minutes.'

Or is Basschat just too rockist for this stuff?

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1503523717' post='3358974']
Album #1 Joy Division - Substance
Album #2 Joy Division - Substance
Album #3 Joy Division - Substance
Album #4 Joy Division - Substance
Album #5 Joy Division - Substance
[/quote]

Well, I looked 'em up. I skipped across the Youtube tracks; there's no way I'm going to waste a whole hour of my life giving [i]that [/i]the works, not at my time of life. And to think they actually blagged record deals with that..! Amazing salesmanship. :rolleyes:
I did appreciate the irony of the title, it being spectacularly devoid of it, in my view. :lol:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1503579745' post='3359339']
Well, I looked 'em up. I skipped across the Youtube tracks; there's no way I'm going to waste a whole hour of my life giving [i]that [/i]the works, not at my time of life. And to think they actually blagged record deals with that..! Amazing salesmanship. :rolleyes:
I did appreciate the irony of the title, it being spectacularly devoid of it, in my view. :lol:
[/quote]If Joy Division fans never made Private Eye's Pseuds Corner (now defunct I think) they should have. Mostly utter tripe. And just as a challenge to the Pseuds out there; Paul Young made a better job of Love Will Tear Us Apart :lol: