Why become a member? ×

Naff things that vocalists say (during the song)

leschirons

Used to play in a pub band in the UK where one of the two guitarist's was the lead vocalist. Also, a very clear case of "it's my van and P.A. so it's my band.

He had a habit at the end of songs of shouting out "take me home" and before the other guitarist's solo "tell me a story"

Probably acceptable and convincing if your Pat Travers or some other renowned rocker but not if you've got a squeaky little voice like he had. Rest of us would die of embarrassment.😂

Anyone had the same problem?

In a previous covers band we used to play 'gay bar' and on one occasion the singer pretended to fellate the lead guitarist. Only happened the once, unsure why it was never repeated.
So happy there was no bass solo!

Irrelevant to the topic as nothing naff was spoken, he had his mouth full at the time.

I quite often sing 'alternative' words of an adult nature in my backing vocals. No one's ever noticed and it keeps me amused when playing that bloody awful Kasbian song we've been doing since time immemorial.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1503426587' post='3358158']
Used to play in a pub band in the UK where one of the two guitarist's was the lead vocalist. Also, a very clear case of "it's my van and P.A. so it's my band.
[/quote]

If it's a pub band then the pa is is for vocals , just as the drummer and the axe players have to buy their rig .

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1503428524' post='3358187']
Opening Song can often be U2, 'Vertigo' so our singists 1st words are 'Unos, Dos, Trez, CLITORIS!'   I never know if to cringe or smirk
[/quote]
We sometimes open with that as well, I know what will be in my head next time we play it!!

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1503433289' post='3358263']
I quite often sing 'alternative' words of an adult nature in my backing vocals. No one's ever noticed and it keeps me amused when playing that bloody awful Kasbian song we've been doing since time immemorial.
[/quote]
Mark King quite often changed L42 lyrics to an adult nature. I think 'sun goes down' on Physical Presence has had a cleverly placed sound effect over "I'm gonna f%@# her till the sun goes down". Great slapper he might be but he's got a potty mouth too you know!

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1503433987' post='3358279']

Mark King quite often changed L42 lyrics to an adult nature. I think 'sun goes down' on Physical Presence has had a cleverly placed sound effect over "I'm gonna f%@# her till the sun goes down". Great slapper he might be but he's got a potty mouth too you know!
[/quote]

Many a time I've heard Mark do the Chinese Way and sing "my legs wide open, I feel a breeze, my willy reaches, down to my knees" in the middle!

Ours keeps asking the audience to sing along if they know the words.

Years ago we videoed our band featuring a young female singer who between every song tells the audience to get up and dance. Didn't notice it at the time but it was a cringe watching it back we folded very soon after.

Our singist has had, for the past decade or so, the habit of ending just about every one of our numbers with a rather laconic 'Thank you', whether or not there's any reaction from the attendance. Looking back at the videos, it looks suspiciously like taking the pee, although that's not his nature. I think it's more of a nervous tic, really.

[quote name='BristolBass' timestamp='1503435676' post='3358302']
If I ever did a few 'twiddly' bits and got a bit of applause our singer was prone to saying 'what are you clapping for? He's only got 4 strings...' - took the wind right out of my sails!
[/quote]

I've seen this happen with a local band. The bass player was above responding to the remark but I thought it was one of those "in" jokes that is wasted on the audience and is best kept to the back stage area. It suggests that the band are in-fighting. Maybe that sells tickets though...? Whatcha reckon?

PS: Welcome to the forum.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='BristolBass' timestamp='1503435676' post='3358302']
If I ever did a few 'twiddly' bits and got a bit of applause our singer was prone to saying 'what are you clapping for? He's only got 4 strings...' - took the wind right out of my sails!
[/quote]
So say "that's four more than you