Why become a member? ×

American 75 RI Jazz vs 70's RI

ferguswads

I played the US 3 bolt american RI jazz bass in the new rattle n drum guitar shop in Derby and honestly fell in love with how it plays and the tone, and the next bass I buy HAS GOT to have the rosewood board with the inlays/binding.

I am acutely aware that this is available for around £1200, I am not that keen on the natural finish with the white board on these guitar but it played so well.

Now the cheaper (I assume MIM or CIJ version) : [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-70s-Jazz-Bass---3-Colour-Sunburst~ID~9701.asp"]HERE[/url] looks a lot nicer with the sunburst IMO.

I was just wondering how much the difference would be as there isn't one available to play, and for £450 that's a lot cheaper bass.

Obviously the build quality and hardware on the US made bass straightaway suggests a no brainer, however I have a MIM jazz and it sounds/plays as well as US basses I have played (All be it mine's been beaten up a little)

Any help would be much appreciated...sorry for the essay

Ferg

I Love my USA 75 re-issue it is my main gigging bass if push came to shove and all but 1 had to go that would be the one. I agree with the natural finish, Not nice, but the previous own had mine sprayed Shoreline Gold :) :huh: :huh:

[attachment=15585:DSCF2278.JPG]

I spent a couple of hours at Coda music in Luton a few weeks ago while their tech sorted out a problem I had on another bass and I played everything they had there. Vintage P bass, some beautiful Musicmans, Warwicks down to an amazing Danelectro, but the bass that came out on top was the MIM 75ish Jazz basses (both a black and a sunburst) they are a lot of bass for £450ish if I hadn't recently added a All parts nice in a similar style to my other Jazz, I would have got one. the neck seemed slightly chunker (like the Allparts one) but not a great deal Go for it.

Good thread this. I also adore the Fender American Vintage 75 re-issue Jazz bass. I love the colour and its one of my dream basses. However, I can no way afford to spend £1200 on a bass, not at this moment anyway. So I am looking at all my options also. I love the Fender 70's Re-Issue Jazz bass that you have pointed out. They also do a Fender classic 60's Jazz bass for £549 and a Fender Precision 50's bass for £445 which also looks ace. Then you have the Fender Standard Series Jazz Bass for £350.

The thing is, apart from the name. what are the differences between these basses?? Is one better than the other or are they the same and just different branding?

[quote name='ferguswads' post='321797' date='Nov 4 2008, 02:02 PM']I played the US 3 bolt american RI jazz bass in the new rattle n drum guitar shop in Derby and honestly fell in love with how it plays and the tone, and the next bass I buy HAS GOT to have the rosewood board with the inlays/binding.[/quote]

I walked past the old rattle and drum (thought they only did percussion) just the other day (near the DRI) - where have they moved to?

[quote name='Linus27' post='322551' date='Nov 5 2008, 11:40 AM']Good thread this. I also adore the Fender American Vintage 75 re-issue Jazz bass. I love the colour and its one of my dream basses. However, I can no way afford to spend £1200 on a bass, not at this moment anyway. So I am looking at all my options also. I love the Fender 70's Re-Issue Jazz bass that you have pointed out. They also do a Fender classic 60's Jazz bass for £549 and a Fender Precision 50's bass for £445 which also looks ace. Then you have the Fender Standard Series Jazz Bass for £350.

The thing is, apart from the name. what are the differences between these basses?? Is one better than the other or are they the same and just different branding?[/quote]

The MIM ones certainly feel much different than the standards. The necks are a different profile and feel like a vintage bass.

They are lovely. I played one in Paris and wanted to bring it home. Never did though :)

"the previous own had mine sprayed Shoreline Gold"

Ah, the one from e-bay with the Sadowsky circuit - absolutely gorgeous! I bought the same seller's '75/'76 original Jazz Bass a few years ago - he's a great guy with excellent taste and a penchant for lovely Jazzers! I've a feeling he's on here with us at BC.

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='Darcy' post='322077' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:27 PM']I Love my USA 75 re-issue it is my main gigging bass if push came to shove and all but 1 had to go that would be the one. I agree with the natural finish, Not nice, but the previous own had mine sprayed Shoreline Gold :) :huh: :huh:

[attachment=15585:DSCF2278.JPG]

I spent a couple of hours at Coda music in Luton a few weeks ago while their tech sorted out a problem I had on another bass and I played everything they had there. Vintage P bass, some beautiful Musicmans, Warwicks down to an amazing Danelectro, but the bass that came out on top was the MIM 75ish Jazz basses (both a black and a sunburst) they are a lot of bass for £450ish if I hadn't recently added a All parts nice in a similar style to my other Jazz, I would have got one. the neck seemed slightly chunker (like the Allparts one) but not a great deal Go for it.[/quote]

Darcy, whats that blue Fender Jazz you have in your picture? Looks great and such a wonderful blue colour.

Yea I played a MIM 75 RI the other day and it was lush. Much better than the US one they had in IMO. never bought a new bass before as I always prefer the feel of vintage instruments but this one felt great. Might go and have another play on it tomorrow, it's only 2 mins down the road. Very dangerous it being so close.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='323889' date='Nov 7 2008, 01:08 AM']Yea I played a MIM 75 RI the other day and it was lush. Much better than the US one they had in IMO. never bought a new bass before as I always prefer the feel of vintage instruments but this one felt great. Might go and have another play on it tomorrow, it's only 2 mins down the road. Very dangerous it being so close.[/quote]

Do you mean the one in this link?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-70s-Jazz-Bass---3-Colour-Sunburst~ID~9701.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~F...rst~ID~9701.asp[/url]

This one is called a 70's re-issue but you refer to a 75 re-issue and I can't find any 75 re-issue.

[quote name='Linus27' post='323939' date='Nov 7 2008, 08:29 AM']Do you mean the one in this link?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-70s-Jazz-Bass---3-Colour-Sunburst~ID~9701.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~F...rst~ID~9701.asp[/url]

This one is called a 70's re-issue but you refer to a 75 re-issue and I can't find any 75 re-issue.[/quote]

I'm in love with the 75RI also. I've messed about quite a bit with different jazzers in shops and actually really fancy a Marcus Miller version. They are MIJ, but each one I have played is faultless. I've had a Jap jazz (62RI) which I bought from Japan which was my first intro to Jap Fenders and in my opinion they are great.

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='324040' date='Nov 7 2008, 10:24 AM']I'm in love with the 75RI also. I've messed about quite a bit with different jazzers in shops and actually really fancy a Marcus Miller version. They are MIJ, but each one I have played is faultless. I've had a Jap jazz (62RI) which I bought from Japan which was my first intro to Jap Fenders and in my opinion they are great.[/quote]

Do you mean the American 75RI or do you mean the same bass that joegarcia is talking about which he says is a MIM 75 RI??????? If you mean the MIM version then which bass is this? The same as i posted in my link or different?

[quote name='Linus27' post='323939' date='Nov 7 2008, 08:29 AM']Do you mean the one in this link?

This one is called a 70's re-issue but you refer to a 75 re-issue and I can't find any 75 re-issue.[/quote]

My bad, yea thats the one. The one I played was black like neilb's though.

[quote name='ferguswads' post='322635' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:30 PM']Geek99 it's what was Play It Again Sam's and then Soundcontrol before it went bust my friend.[/quote]
Okay thanks, I'll look it up on the web - I'm not a Derby regular. Their website is well out of date.

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='324040' date='Nov 7 2008, 10:24 AM']I'm in love with the 75RI also. I've messed about quite a bit with different jazzers in shops and actually really fancy a Marcus Miller version. They are MIJ, but each one I have played is faultless. I've had a Jap jazz (62RI) which I bought from Japan which was my first intro to Jap Fenders and in my opinion they are great.[/quote]
I have that same jap jazz 62 RI in 3SB and its very nice indeed.

[quote name='lozbass' post='322662' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:00 PM']"the previous own had mine sprayed Shoreline Gold"

Ah, the one from e-bay with the Sadowsky circuit - absolutely gorgeous! I bought the same seller's '75/'76 original Jazz Bass a few years ago - he's a great guy with excellent taste and a penchant for lovely Jazzers! I've a feeling he's on here with us at BC.[/quote]

Yeah that could be me...... That 75 has had a few owners after me, can't work out why ?

I had all the mods done to it anyway.....

That 75 Re-issue is one I'd love to have back..... For the Current Owners info it used to be Black

Loz, not sure if we did a deal on an original 75 / 76 or if it was another owner, I did have a 4 bolt 72 Black Block & Bound sprayed gold that I sold a while ago

So many basses so little time....

As far as the OP..... those New Mex 70's are very good for the money, I agree with the reference made that they feel "vintage"

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Marcus

Well, I took the plunge and bought myself the MIM 75 Jazz Re-issue in Sunburst. Beautiful bass that sounds and plays beautiful. The neck is stunning. Not super thin but pretty then and has a great shape and feel to it. The Fender website says it comes with 045, 065, 080, 100 gauge strings but to be honest, I am not convinced. It feels like the strings are more 45, 65, 85 105. They just feel so much heavier. Also the fret lines are pretty fat and high which I guess adds to the 70's feel. Sound wise its just incredible. My ESP jazz is a top sounding bass and comparing the two, its pretty much on par, maybe a a little better. Anyway, here is a photo.

[attachment=15737:DSC03939.JPG]

[quote name='Linus27' post='323087' date='Nov 5 2008, 11:24 PM']Darcy, whats that blue Fender Jazz you have in your picture? Looks great and such a wonderful blue colour.[/quote]

Linus it's a Bitsa bass. All parts neck etc. The colour.. Cant remember the exact name it was left over at the bodyshop I got it painted at. A Vauxhall colour for a limited edition Corsa Breeze :) I see that colour on the road quite a bit, although the elements have taken it's toll on the cars lol

[quote name='lozbass' post='322662' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:00 PM']"the previous own had mine sprayed Shoreline Gold"

Ah, the one from e-bay with the Sadowsky circuit - absolutely gorgeous! I bought the same seller's '75/'76 original Jazz Bass a few years ago - he's a great guy with excellent taste and a penchant for lovely Jazzers! I've a feeling he's on here with us at BC.[/quote]

It would be nice if he was. I would want to thank him again for a real beauty