Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Alpha Omega users...

fretmeister

How are you using it?

As a preamp into the FX return, or as a pedal in the front of your amp?

I'm tempted to try one.

I had a B3K which I loved, then a B7K which I didn't like as much - the drive didn't seem to be as saturated as on the 3, so I'm wondering if the AO would do the trick

In front of my amp.

Although I hate being a fan boy, for this pedal I am a fan boy..... I have had the B3K, B7K both great in their own way, the VMT which I did not like at all and this..... to me this is next level. It has a girth and warmth even at high gain levels I missed in my B7K.

If you only buy one DG pedal, let it be this one.

But that's just a fan boy's opinion :)

It also sounds great set to 100% alpha, 0% gain as a dirty amp sim into headphones (or a PA). Just the right level of gain to fatten things up yet get very gnarly if you dig in. Slotted into the mix perfectly and no additional speaker sim required! 👍

Hah! This is actually a Cali 76 BC (and how to get stuff passed the missus without her noticing) thread in disguise :)

Cuzzie will be delighted on both counts...

[Aside:You should maybe add the Cali 76 to the thread title, for sure,'cos that is going to equally be of interest methinks!]

The Alpha Omega arrived early this morning - early enough for me to play for about 5 mins before work.

It sounds very chunky, but very defined. I've not played with the EQ yet, but I'd say there was a hell of a lot of sounds in this box.

The Alpha side is stunning. The Omega side is a bit too mid pushed for me, but then again I was playing a Fender Urder2 that has a load of mids anyway. But that will be tweaked to taste with the EQ.

The bite and grown switches have an obvious impact too.

I usually run compression into drive to boost the drive levels, but I don't think I'll need that on this pedal - in fact the compression takes a little clank off the top, so I'm going to swap them round so the pedal remains fully reactive to playing dynamics, and then after the compressor can deal with excessive peaks

Can't wait for after work now so have a proper go with some volume.

I've just realised my Nano board, tiny as it is, has a value of about £800 with the board and the envelope filter on it too.
That makes me feel a bit ill! :D

Sounds very different depending on the bass too.

HUGE sound with my Urge 2.

Pretty ordinary with my Marleaux - not a surprise though. If ever a bass was built for a clean jazzy piano tone, it's this one. That bass pretty much hates drive pedals of all types! :D

Tomorrow I get my much modified Stingray back from the butc... err luthiers. It will be very different so I'm looking forward to trying it.

I've been experimenting with cleaner sounds with it - just a bit of grit.

100% wet blend and then just fiddling with the drive knob. That knob really does have a massive range - pretty much all the way down to zero drive.
About 11 o clock, with the bass cut a little and the mids boosted a little is lovely. Tight sound with plenty of mids to cut, never boomy and just a little grit coming through.

Something interesting I noticed - how hard I hit the front of the AO doesn't change the drive that much - it does a bit of course, but nothing like many other drive pedals I've had where I've really slammed the front with a compressor or flat EQ with signal increase to get it to drive the way I want it to.

Makes me wonder if there is a bit of level control going on in there at the input.