Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Super Compacts

Wilco

So, i'd been keeping an eye out for a decent used Berg HD112 to pair up with the existing one I own as it's a fantastic cab. They don't come up for sale very often, & I've been too slow & missed out on a couple when they have.

Then I see BC member timotei's (thanks Tim!) ad for two of the above, did a bit of research on them & decided to go for it. Got them home at 3pm today & have only just put my bass down since!

I was a little concerned about the lack of a tweeter, but more than enough high frequency for me. Oodles of power - having the two cabs really allows the BH550 to stretch it's legs. Fantastic tone too, as was expected to be honest. Also an each one is an easy one hand carry. Low B on my five string is thunderous!

I'm sure I would have been just as happy with a second Berg - obviously both brands are at the top end of bass cab production, but the first available opportunity I saw was for the two BF cabs & I'm more than happy. Struggling to think of a reason why I should ever have to change them now I've got them....!!

[quote name='jimbartlett' timestamp='1503255616' post='3356753']
Congratulations, looks fantastic. I have a Super Compact and it's absolutely superb. I'd love to hear a pair of them in action, must be outrageous!
[/quote]

Only tried them at home so far. Gain at 55% & volume at 30% - yes, pretty damn loud especially with the Fender & its 18v circuit. Bonkers in a good way! Rehearsal a week tomorrow......

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1503300366' post='3356941']
They're great cabs, perhaps I'll hear them in action as we do most of our gigs around Swindon.
[/quote]

Hopefully gigging again by end of the year

Yep they are great, I had a similar setup for while, 2 supercompacts and was using the BH250 amp / also had an Ashdown ABM1000. Great punchy sound and venue dependent I would use 1 or both.

Ultimately I decided to try a two10 and found out that suited me even better (I must like a bit of colour from the cabs).

If anyone is gigging with a barefaced cab around Birmingham & West Midlands give me a shout I'd love to hear one in the wild so to speak. Especially if it's a back line gig with the bass not going through the PA. I'm gonna phone barefaced today to see if I can get one to try out. Which is all well and good but I want to understand how they sound out front as well as when I'm standing near it playing.

I have a brace of them - been using Barefaced since the Compact started and find these Supercompacts the best i have tried by a mile. My new-ish Mesa Boogie prodigy four:88 is, for me, the perfect head to drive them along too.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1503330419' post='3357314']
Great punchy sound and venue dependent I would use 1 or both.
[/quote]

That was my thoughts too, either 1 cab or two depending on venue. I also have the Tech 21 Bass-Fly rig to go straight into a PA if necessary. A solution for every venue!!

(the Bass-Fly rig is also useful in front of the BH550 with its in built chorus, octaver, boost & compressor too!)

Edited by Wilco

If I'd bought a Suer Compact when I first tried Barefaced, then I'd have a second by for the same reason, but I started with a Super Twin, so have a 2x12 pr 1x12 set up, depending on the venue. I'm also having something put together so I can link two amps without ground hum etc, and then I'll also have a 3x12 set up with two amps powering them!