Why become a member? ×

A happy band tale.

Raymondo

I wanted to share my story about band mates being fabulous for a change,we often get threads about how band members irritate us this one is about how proud I am.

The attentive amongst you will know that I have stopped gigging...it causes me great pain and tiredness plus I now have to claim benefits, so it would be wrong of me to get paid for gigging.

I wanted to do "one last gig" for my Sixtieth birthday which was on July 14th and one of my sons let a former band member know that.

The response was lovely.
I used to play in a Stereophonics "tribute" band (we just played Stereophonics songs...we didn't do the look alike thing) we were quite successful (played main Stage at Rock city several times) and the other members still play regularly.

The singer and keyboard players are both full time musos earning a very good living, the lead guitarist does two or three gigs a week. They all said that they would do a gig with me ...for free. :ph34r:

Everyone cleared their diaries and said that they would be pleased to do it unfortunately the drummer was working as a sound recordist on the tour de France for tv and July 14th was a no go.

I think that it is testament to how nice these guys are that they would drop everything to give me one last chance at making a fool of myself.

At the risk of making this rather personal post too long, I now unashamedly promote the gig that has been arranged...We are playing on Friday (25th ) at Hogarths in Ilkeston Derbyshire.

I am therefore following the Queen's example and having two birthdays this year :gas:

By the way ...just to wind up the " never play for free" mob ...I am paying the PA guys £250.00 oh and the pub is giving us all free beer (I can walk....well...stagger home) ;)

Edited by Raymondo

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1503245016' post='3356654']
Well, If you are paying the PA guys £250, but the pub will let you have free beer, you should just about break even, If you take it easy. :D
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. ;)

Thank you all for your positive messages ...

.I think that I could carry on gigging ,but, I cannot commit to a band that plays regularly and ,as I said , I cannot expect to play gigs but then live on benefits because I cannot work.

I have Fibromyalgia ...well I have had it for years but it has really got a grip on me now, and I also have stenosis in my lower spine.

It has taken me years to get the DWP to see that ,although some days, I can look like I am capable of working, the reality is that it takes me days to recover if I try.

I am the prime example of somebody that people, who do not know any different, accuse of "swinging the lead" ...That is just the way of the world unfortunately......If only I could win the Lottery and not have to rely on you fine people paying too much tax!

I don't need sympathy....there are many people with much worse things happening to them, but it is hard to accept that I just cannot do what I have always done.

How about a wee gig report then? Hope it went well.

It'd be good if you could continue to do the occasional gig, without having the pressure of too much commitment. I stopped for quite a while ( partly due to health) and only do a few gigs but enjoy them & look forward to them - I don't like he idea of actually giving up for good...yet.

My daughter has fibromyalgia so I have at least some idea how debilitating it is Not many, including the likes of the DWP, are very understanding , unfortunately. :(

Anyway, all the best & hopefully you'll be able to continue.

Remember the gig report :) B)

Ray posted in the 'how was your gig last night?' thread. However since I was there I can tell you that the boy played a blinder, though he looked knackered at the end. Unfortunately I couldnt stay too long after the set but I'm sure plenty of appropriate imbibition took place. ;)

Hi guys, and thank you for the kind words Kev.

I thoroughly enjoyed it but it was exhausting. I do not want to labour the fibromyalgia point....Bluesparky over in off topic has had a much rougher time of things than me lately for instance!

I will tell you though that I only really got back to normal levels yesterday.

Everyone seemed to have a great time, the feedback from the venue has been genuinely moving.

My old bandmates enjoyed it so much that they want to do more gigs. I have said that I will do some as long as it is, as you suggested Donnyboy, occasionally.

Great story!

Just a side comment. I don't think there's a "never play for free" mob.

I think there are some that don't play for free, I'm one of them. But even I will play certain benefit gigs for free. I've played two well organized cancer benefits this year

Blue

Edited by blue