Why become a member? ×

Best cover you've heard?

paulbass

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1507661500' post='3387102']
I watched a band called 'The Hamsters' years ago in Bolton. During their Hendrix set they played All Along the Watchtower, and to this day i can still remember the power of how they played it. Absolutely awesome - real next level stuff.
[/quote]

Yeah, another Hamsters fan here. Really tight 3 piece, seen them dozens of times up and down the country. A great live set and covered a lot of RnB really well, not just the Hendrix and ZZ Top songs. Gutted when they stopped touring. Mind you, 25 years and over 4500 gigs is pretty good going....

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1507661500' post='3387102']
I watched a band called 'The Hamsters' years ago in Bolton. During their Hendrix set they played All Along the Watchtower, and to this day i can still remember the power of how they played it. Absolutely awesome - real next level stuff.
[/quote]

I think I remember seeing them at what was called the Guildford Festival of Folk and Blues in the mid 90s. They were just fantastic, not a tribute band but channeling the Hendrix vibe and adding their own energy.

[quote name='plumbob' timestamp='1508001995' post='3389292']
Been loving this very talented family lately

http://youtu.be/rWah6plGip4
[/quote]

The version is just a super accurate copy of the original. Don‘t get me wrong, that‘s a huge achievement in itself, but I prefer cover versions which are different to the original.
Having said that, the quality of the vocals and the playing really is superb. Reminiscent of Crosby, Stills and Nash. Indeed on their website, which I felt obliged to go and look up, there‘s a quote from Dave Crosby praising them very highly.

Edited by SICbass

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1509701824' post='3400927']
+ 1 for The Hamsters here too. Way back in the mists of time when I lived in London I saw them quite a few times at venues like the Half Moon in Putney . Excellent band . An excellent guitar player as I recall who also had a nice line in witty patter
[/quote]

+ 1 here too! Back when I was still a student they were playing the Half Moon on a monthly basis and it became a bit of a ritual with some of my friends. They did a pretty good line in ZZ Top covers too, and their own material was always entertaining.