Why become a member? ×

Stiffness

Stamford

Has anyone got advise on how to stay loose when gigging?
I'm having problems with my fingering hand when playing live. Clearly nerves are playing a part but even when I've relaxed my fingers become stiff and I lose speed in my fingering. The stiffness comes right up my forearm to my elbow.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[quote name='Stamford' timestamp='1503058751' post='3355377']
I'm having problems with my fingering hand when playing live. Clearly nerves are playing a part but even when I've relaxed my fingers become stiff and I lose speed in my fingering. The stiffness comes right up my forearm to my elbow.

[/quote]

Theres a thread on here somewhere with exercises which help a lot. Damned if I can find it though.

[quote name='Stamford' timestamp='1503058751' post='3355377']

[/quote]

Do you practice? Do you practice like a gig i.e. long periods of playing without big breaks?

If I were in your situation I'd find the song that causes the most issue and practice it over and over again without really stopping and work on a feel that lets you play without discomfort. You might be way out of whack on your technique or maybe just a tiny tweak away from perfect.

For general nerves when gigging I'd recommend you go to a quiet corner of the venue about five or ten minutes before going on stage. Do some breathing exercises. Slowly breath in deeply through the nose and slowly breath out through the mouth. When you go on stage to play, remember to "breathe". Sometimes we get so caught up in our playing that we hold our breath without realising. Try to be aware (granted...it's not always an easy thing to do ) of your breathing while playing.

As for the physical side of things..i.e. stiffness : use the rest of your time in that quiet corner of the venue doing gentle stretches BEFORE you even touch the bass. Check out Youtube for .."hand stretches for bass/guitar". Spend a few minutes on these and then pick up the bass. SLOWLY start doing scales and/or arpeggios above the fifth fret at first... (any lower might be too much of a stretch when starting cold). Then move down the fretboard gradually.

Be aware that your general technique and stance could be causing the problem also.

All of the above should take between ten and fifteen minutes. Time well spent IMO.

Hope this helps. Worth a try anyway. :)

Edited by Coilte

Thanks for all your thoughts on this.

I don't have the same issue when practicing either at home or with the band in the studio so I dont think it's a stance or technique issue.

I think the breathing might be part of it plus I find I play harder when live, and the obvious speed increase due to adrenaline may play a part too.

Do you practice as you gig though?

Ie 15 songs back to back with no break? a 20 minute break then the same again?

If not, it could just be you're getting no natural rest (even if only 30 seconds here and there).

Try building in a natural break in your set (where the singer chats, or guitarist plays a long intro). So you play 2-3 songs then get a bit of a rest, rather than playing flat out for 45 mins.

That break now and again may just help you to recover.

Edited by la bam

I used to get cramp in my left hand especially long gigs. I read somewhere it's possibly dehydration and low potassium so since then a banana on way to gig and drink loads of water and no problem since. Might be a load of rubbish but works for me.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503094424' post='3355748']
Pint and a spliff? :ph34r:
[/quote]

+1, you'll be limp as a fish. Also, try not to forget your bass. Easier said than done.