Why become a member? ×

New EHX Russian Green Muff

1976fenderhead

There's some very stiff competition for good Green Muffs, but they've got the price-point right (for an EHX pedal anyway).
Already having a couple of COG Tarkins in various flavours, not interested in the EHX, but lots of people will be if they've gotten it right :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1504622493' post='3366124']
There's some very stiff competition for good Green Muffs, but they've got the price-point right (for an EHX pedal anyway).
Already having a couple of COG Tarkins in various flavours, not interested in the EHX, but lots of people will be if they've gotten it right :)

Si

[/quote]

Having both a tarkin and a stache I'm really interested how this holds up!

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1504625851' post='3366154']

Having both a tarkin and a stache I'm really interested how this holds up!
[/quote]

To be fair, the Stache isn't Green based, so will sound different, but features wise it's going to be hard for the EHX to beat either that or the COG. It's only really going to be if you want a production (i.e. not boutique) green muff for not much money.
Me? I'll stick with my Stache & two Grand Tarkins for now.

Si

P.s.
With regards to the COG, I'm generally referring to the Grand Tarkins, others may mean the standard Tarkin

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1504635411' post='3366278']
To be fair, the Stache isn't Green based, so will sound different, but features wise it's going to be hard for the EHX to beat either that or the COG. It's only really going to be if you want a production (i.e. not boutique) green muff for not much money.

Si

P.s.
With regards to the COG, I'm generally referring to the Grand Tarkins, others may mean the standard Tarkin
[/quote]

yeh i should say that mine is a grand tarkin as well!

yeh im hoping to be honest the ehx just sounds good might be fun to sneak it under the board!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1504635411' post='3366278']
[/quote]

It's useful for anyone that wants a great fuzz and is concerned more about tone than whether or not their pedal was hand made. I've had a Grand Tarkin and happen to think the EHX kicks its ar$e!

Certainly don't want this to turn into a production vs boutique argument, different strokes for different folks, pros and cons for both etc etc.
I did try the Way Huge at NAMM this past Jan and it sounded very very good! If the EHX is on par with that, and isn't built like a wet cake, then they'll have a winner on their hands.

Si

Gave mine a good workout at a loud rehearsal earlier. It has so much low end grunt it's unbelievable - pitted against my two favourite fuzzes, the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine and FEA Photon II, the humble EHX won the battle. It just sounds massive! The other two are going to stay around for recording purposes but the Green Russian is the one I'll be using live from now on.

You can probably work one info more contexts than you realise. I found myself stomping on it for breakdowns at the end of a track and all sorts of places. In a noisy mix with the tone set low, the fact it's a fuzz gets pushed to the background, you just end up with a massive fat boosted bass tone.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1504999909' post='3368817']
Gah! I was about to buy a Wounded Paw Battering Ram (v2.6) but I may just have to concede that spending half as much on this Green Muff may well be a wiser investment...
[/quote]

And getting half the features?! :)

Si

I have boutique fuzzes with more features that I thought sounded better at bedroom level or through headphones, but the Russian just dominated when playing at high volume. I even saw the lack of features as a plus, it takes up less board space and there's fewer knobs to worry about tweaking live.

Considering the price of this though, just get both!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1505078633' post='3369375']

And getting half the features?! :)

Si
[/quote]

Sometimes less is more though...especially when you know that the "less" can nail it with less effort than the "more"!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1505080137' post='3369389']
I have boutique fuzzes with more features that I thought sounded better at bedroom level or through headphones, but the Russian just dominated when playing at high volume. I even saw the lack of features as a plus, it takes up less board space and there's fewer knobs to worry about tweaking live.

Considering the price of this though, just get both!
[/quote]

Well now that you've suggested it I have no choice...

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1505082199' post='3369400']

Sometimes less is more though...especially when you know that the "less" can nail it with less effort than the "more"!

Well now that you've suggested it I have no choice...
[/quote]

Oh of course, I'm not advocating one over the other.
But I agree.....get both ;)

Si