Why become a member? ×

New EHX Russian Green Muff

1976fenderhead

Great looking pedal!! I'm curious as to whether it's the same as the bass big muff without the 50/50 clean blend. The bass BM is supposedly voiced as per the green Russian. I actually loved it,so I'm very tempted by this :)

• Like 1

An EHX engineer has posted on the Talkbass thread. He said he tried to clone the best sounding tall font they could find, and the resulting pedal has kicked the BBM off of his own personal board.

That Russian Pickle sounds amazing though, I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention!

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1503176765' post='3356293']
[url="http://www.fredric.co.uk/green-russian-sovtek-clone"]http://www.fredric.c...an-sovtek-clone[/url] been out for ages, so close to the original.
[/quote]

I wasn't impressed by that one and stuck with my Deluxe BBM, so if it sounds like that... meh. Hopefully it will be better.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503066020' post='3355482']
I'd love to see a shootout between that and the Way Huge Russian Pickle that has been tempting me as of late:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FO0zJCG770[/media]
[/quote]
My exact thoughts. I hadn't been keen on the idea of a fuzz until Juan Aldrete on Pedals And Effects played through the russian pickle, sounded great. Now EHX comes to the table with this - around £75!!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503691365' post='3360401']
Just ordered the EHX. Initial reports from over the pond are very positive, at least one person had replaced their Wren & Cuff TFR with one!
[/quote]

blimey. though I'm sure talkbass will have moved on to something else in a week or two ;)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503691365' post='3360401']
Just ordered the EHX. Initial reports from over the pond are very positive, at least one person had replaced their Wren & Cuff TFR with one!
[/quote]
Would be interested to hear your views - I have a BBBOD and am looking for a more a full on pedal to put directly after it.

Just gave it a quick bash!

VERY thick and heavy, just like the TFR with a bit more upper mids. It can deal with me pegging the low B on my loud passive Yamaha BB, which overloads the front end of most other muffs I've tried except the TFR and BBM.

Massive lows, they thump nicely too, I wouldn't need to use a blend with this. Even playing with a pick that normally sounds thin and trebly, you get a massive sub bass punch using this.

One difference I noticed to the BBM, if I dig in hard on that pedal with both PJ pickups on, it produces a nice overdrive like growl. On the Russian it just sounds the same but louder and heavier, like this is your tone now and you ain't changing it! Not necessarily a bad thing either.

It gets my seal of approval anyway, I'll stick it on the board for a bit and see how it fares in a full band mix!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1504194055' post='3363319']
Just gave it a quick bash!

VERY thick and heavy, just like the TFR with a bit more upper mids. It can deal with me pegging the low B on my loud passive Yamaha BB, which overloads the front end of most other muffs I've tried except the TFR and BBM.

Massive lows, they thump nicely too, I wouldn't need to use a blend with this. Even playing with a pick that normally sounds thin and trebly, you get a massive sub bass punch using this.

One difference I noticed to the BBM, if I dig in hard on that pedal with both PJ pickups on, it produces a nice overdrive like growl. On the Russian it just sounds the same but louder and heavier, like this is your tone now and you ain't changing it! Not necessarily a bad thing either.

It gets my seal of approval anyway, I'll stick it on the board for a bit and see how it fares in a full band mix!
[/quote]

Interesting... I've watched a few youtube comparisons with the BBM and honestly couldn't hear the difference, beyond the extra volume... keen to read other opinions here.