Why become a member? ×

Compressor usage

T-Bay

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1503058188' post='3355368']
I use it in a few songs, mainly where the song is more bass driven. I use an EBS multicomp which does more than compression and TBH I really use it for the non compression aspects it gives..
[/quote]

What are the non compression aspects or capabilities?

Blue

I used to use one (an Aphex one)

I haven't used one for about 5 years. Mind you I generally play Stingrays, which can produce a slightly compressed sound naturally.

I don't have problems with consistency of sound so don't feel the need to use it - the reason I did previously was to have the ability to get a very squashed sound when required.

I think they can be useful to even your sound intensity.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1503037996' post='3355166']
Yes. I have a compression dial on my Warrick ProFet amp. I leave it set at 3. Everything else is flat and I don't use pedals.
[/quote]

Changed my mind. The dial is set to 3 but at last nights gig I realised the compression button is out.

So...

No, I never use compression. :D

I've never had a compressor pedal in my setup, but then again I do use amps that do their own particular thing to the dynamics. My GK MB200 has an optical limiter around the power stage that does some audible squashing when turned up, or for some things I'll use a valve amp with a hint of preamp grit which acts a little like compression too.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I tried a couple of compressors out at gear4music on Saturday & ended up buying an EBS multicomp.
I really like the tube sim setting but won't find out how it works in a band situation until tomorrow evening.
I'm hoping it all make my live sound more clear & punchy,it certainly sounded good in the store

Edited by artisan

Just got in from rehearsal & I have to say
"Wow"
The EBS multicomp has totally amazed me,I just love the fat punchy tone I had through the studios well hammered Ashdown MAG300 combo.
Usually it sounds sh*te but tonight it sounded great,love this compressor to bits.
I was playing classic black sabbath tunes
& nailed it,every note far punchier than i have ever had.
Highly recommended,I really wish I'd bought one years ago.
If anyone cares my settings were 😁
Comp/limit just past 2 o'clock
Gain at 10 o'clock
Tube sim

Rich warm bass bliss

Edited by artisan

Felt compelled to chip in and say that EVERY bass player should at least be familiar with how a compressor works, even if they choose not to use one on stage.

Compression is so essential to bass. We have lengthy discussions about strings, wood types, pickup configurations, amps and cabs... and yet the most useful tool in the bass players arsenal gets frequently overlooked - apart from in this thread of course! :)

Never ceases to amaze me.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1503560477' post='3359081']
The boy's not wrong!
[/quote]
Indeed he isn't.
It's a revelation to me after 38 years of playing & also being one of the "I don't use pedals" crew.
I always struggled to get the bass tone I was looking for only to find it's in a pedal.
You live & learn,never say never 😁

EBS Multicomp always ON in multiband mode with internal trim pots at Low-50%/High-75%, Comp a bit under 50% and Gain at 0%. Lets me keep all my dynamics and doesn't squash the attack. It takes care of all the peaks in the highs region but keeps the sound clean with all the harmonics. I don't use the comp to mask technique, in fact i would prefer not to use it but it does make a big diference playing live using other FX as OD and Wah as it doesn't let the sound get too harsh and have unpleasant peaks. Great for slap though i hardly ever do it.

Had comp's over the years but always sold them on, as the times that i didnt use them (through laziness) i really didnt notice it. Saying that, i do like what they do, so im giving it one last go with a Spectracomp. It will be always on, to hopefully iron out my pick playing.

I've owned and used an Effectrode PC2A, 3 Leaf Pwnzor,Diamond BCP1 and currently a Cali 76 CB loved them all. I've had three EBS Multicomps over the years and it's always been one of my faves!! :)
I love compression it's a massive part of my sound!! The Cali76 is so Subtle! Yet not! When you switch it off,you really notice :) it works wonders for my OC2 as well :)

Edited by lee650