Why become a member? ×

advice needed! 350w 4 ohm aguilar tonehammer into a 300w aquilar GS112 no tweeter

DanH71

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1503043261' post='3355213']
Yes, it would only be 3db.
8Ω load usually pulls a max of @ 2/3 of the amp's total watts, so that would probably be about 200-220w.
You're only gonna hit the max watts with the occasional spike from your playing at volume or when the amp is near clipping & you're playing as loud as you can without things sounding nasty.

Muzz's suggestion of a Barefaced cab is good advice. Small, light and loud.
The Two10 is available in 4Ω or 12Ω, the Compact & Super Compact are both 8Ω.

Talking of Barefaced, here's an article on Alex's page tht's worth a read...
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/mythbusters1.htm"]http://barefacedbass...ythbusters1.htm[/url]
[/quote]

@
[b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/2896-xgsjx/"]xgsjx[/url][/b]

i am torn right no !!! buy the aguilar gs112 and add another for larger gigs or wait for a barefaced beauty to come up..

pffff...

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1503044620' post='3355228']
@
[b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/2896-xgsjx/"]xgsjx[/url][/b]

i am torn right no !!! buy the aguilar gs112 and add another for larger gigs or wait for a barefaced beauty to come up..

pffff...
[/quote]
How far away is the GS112 from you? Can you try it out & if it's not for you, can you return it?
I've never tried a GS112, but I've not heard anything bad about them. Might be worth a browse around the posts in the "Amps & Cabs" section & maybe do a search on "GS112". :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1503043261' post='3355213']
Yes, it would only be 3db.
8Ω load usually pulls a max of @ 2/3 of the amp's total watts, so that would probably be about 200-220w.
You're only gonna hit the max watts with the occasional spike from your playing at volume or when the amp is near clipping & you're playing as loud as you can without things sounding nasty.

Muzz's suggestion of a Barefaced cab is good advice. Small, light and loud.
The Two10 is available in 4Ω or 12Ω, the Compact & Super Compact are both 8Ω.

Talking of Barefaced, here's an article on Alex's page tht's worth a read...
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/mythbusters1.htm"]http://barefacedbass...ythbusters1.htm[/url]
[/quote]

ahhhhhhhh , what to do!!!

a. buy the alguilar gs112 and add another as and when if needed or b. wait for a rare barefaced beauty!

thanks for the link. had not seen this page on barefaced.
very informative reading Alex's 10 commandments.

especially liked the last truth:

[b] Truth #14 - You can safely use any amp with any cab, regardless of power ratings, but if you hear distortion or farting, turn down the volume or the bass knob.[/b]
[color=#333333][size=3]
This distortion/farting is a warning sign that the cab is reaching its excursion-limited power handling. Clearly if your band is so loud that you can't hear your cab at all then you won't be able to hear the audible warning signs![/size][/color]

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1503045140' post='3355230']
How far away is the GS112 from you? Can you try it out & if it's not for you, can you return it?
I've never tried a GS112, but I've not heard anything bad about them. Might be worth a browse around the posts in the "Amps & Cabs" section & maybe do a search on "GS112". :)
[/quote]

Don't know where Rabbie is but im pretty busy at the moment.
Read on here a discussion about the agiGS112, and it was largely positive. Seems to have a mid scoop, but EQ can rectify this. People have reported they have played
in small-medium venues upto 100 people without trouble playing with 6 piece brass bands and other more electric set-ups;)

im very tempted by this agi, but part of me wants to wait for one of Alex's creations...

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1503045547' post='3355240']
I put TH500 into a Barefaced Super Compact 8ohm - never failed me yet!
[/quote]

Hey Mickey,

would love a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Barefaced Super Compact, but they are like blue moons it seems..;([/font][/color]

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1503045801' post='3355242']
... I'm very tempted by this agi, but part of me wants to wait for one of Alex's creations...
[/quote]
It depends on how soon you need a cab, but why not buy the Agi, & then save up for a BF, then sell the Agi? Buying the Agi 2nd hand means you're likely to lose little money (if any) when it comes to moving it on.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1503046884' post='3355255']
It depends on how soon you need a cab, but why not buy the Agi, & then save up for a BF, then sell the Agi? Buying the Agi 2nd hand means you're likely to lose little money (if any) when it comes to moving it on.
[/quote]

currently only rehearsing at a room that has a 2x15 marshall cab that i play my agi th350 head through but it sounds a bit like a fart and boom machine.
the agi GS112 is tempting but like you say I may hold fire as i dont like the idea of buying something only with the thought in mind to sell it for a better solution.

Cheers fella

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1503048285' post='3355276']
currently only rehearsing at a room that has a 2x15 marshall cab that i play my agi th350 head through but it sounds a bit like a fart and boom machine.
the agi GS112 is tempting but like you say I may hold fire as i dont like the idea of buying something only with the thought in mind to sell it for a better solution.

Cheers fella
[/quote]
That makes sense. If you're in no hurry, save & get the one you want. :)