Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for first buy.

TLMC

Greetings.

I'm looking to get my very first bass.
I actually already got one, but I can still return it in case I change my mind, which I'm starting to believe I have. Also the salesperson seemed a little to happy with selling me this.

I got a Sandberg California TM5, and let me start by saying that I really like it.

That is however the most expensive instrument I've bought so far, and I think that it might be a little overkill.
I have a Takamine acoustic guitar which I spent 1500€ on, and I like it but it's really not that much better than the Yamaha guitar I have, which where only in the ~650€ range, which I think hit a very nice quality to price ratio. My guess is that the same goes with bass guitars, so I would like to maybe find a cheaper bass which is still really nice, opening up for the remaining money to be spent on other equipment instead.

And I would like to hear if you folks had some recommendations?

What I've (doubtfully) figured out I like so far is:
The Sandberg California TM5, obviously. It feels and sounds great.
I think I like the sound, primarily due to it's active humbucker pickup. It have a really nice 'umpf' to it.
I don't know what makes it feel great to play on, but the strings seems easy to twist and the fingerboard is really nice to hold. Some of the other bases I tried felt more edgy with strings much harder to work with.

Regarding the music I would like to play, I'm trying to move my skill set from folk/pop in the direction of some hard rock and melodic metal.
I would prefer a five string bass, but I'm open for awesome four strings as well.

Also, I'm using the bass for recording, and don't expect it to ever be used for a live performances.

Best regards, and thank in advance.

1400 euros is big money for a first bass. Of course the Sandberg is a great bass and will serve you well for many years.

If you decide bass is the instrument you want to play !

I'd suggest returning it and spend the next few weeks trying many different basses. You have a very good budget so the one you choose will not depend on money but what feels right. Don't get catch up with brands and prices there's great basses out there at all prices.

Like PaulGibsonBass I've basses costing £1-2K but I spend most of my time playing a £90 Harley Benton .

A contrary viewpoint: keep the Sandberg! It's a decent-quality instrument that'll be useful for a range of genres and playing styles, and isn't going to give you trouble in terms of setup and maintenance. You've said it's comfortable for you to play on - you'll find it easier to learn (and more fun to play) if you're not fighting the instrument. And if you're not planning on gigging, there are plenty of decent but [b]really heavy[/b] second-hand combos/cabs available for not much money these days, so you may as well put the money into the bass.

I'd be more tempted to think about cheaper basses in a couple of years once you've been playing for a while and know what kind of style you prefer and how to set up an instrument to your taste. If you look after the Sandberg it'll have reasonable resale value should you decide you do want to trade down...

I too would suggest keeping the Sandberg.. However if you are intent on trading down to something much cheaper then don't overlook Squire. My daughter wanted to take up bass so I was after a new instrument of decent quailty but without spending over the odds. We got the Squire Affinity PJ and I was very impressed with the finishing of the neck and the playability - for a £200 bass anyway - and the set up was good right out the box. The quality of budget instruments has really increased since I learned over 20 years ago! Although I can only really vouch for the one we got; we didn't try many other Squires/alternatives. All that said... If you keep on with the bass you may later regret parting with the Sandberg..?

Sandberg is a great bass! You have the 5 string version of my TM4 and I still love mine.

If you want some suggestions on plenty of good 5 strings then check out this thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/296657-best-5-string-bass-youve-ever-owned-and-why/

For an alternative "first" 5 string (if you have the budget which you do), I'd be really tempted get the Ibanez SR1805. I bought the 4 string recently and I think it is just amazing for its tone and playability. [url="http://www.ibanez.com/products/eb_detail17.php?year=2017&area_id=3&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=67&color=CL01"]http://www.ibanez.co...d=67&color=CL01[/url]

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1502923938' post='3354484']
The Cort GB-75 JH bass has a very similar configuration - these are very nicely constructed instruments.
[/quote]

Agree 100% with this. Fantastic build quality and a really nice instrument. Will serve you well through any situation.

I was really surprised at how good they are when I played one.

Edited by maxiburke

Keep the Sandberg, you seem to like it. That is the most important aspect , imho. Also, as Mark King once said:

"Over the years, when parents have asked me about their kids wanting to play an instrument, I always say buy the best one you can afford. If it doesn't work out, and you flog it, you get your money back. A good instrument is also much easier to play and sounds good. If you start off with a clunker that's impossible to play, the kid will get disheartened, and you'll have wasted your money. For me, it's just good insurance. You either spend £50 and waste the £50, or spend £150 and you'll get £130 back."

Ok, I guess you're not a kid, but still the argument holds - get the best instrument you can afford!

[quote name='tom5string' timestamp='1503568904' post='3359205']
If it doesn't work out, and you flog it, you get your money back.
[/quote]

IMHO that is not even close to being correct when it comes to many of the more expensive / high quality / well loved bass guitars if you are buying new? E.g. a new German Custom Shop Warwick will retail for £2.5K to 3K but will then come down pretty rapidly to 50% (or less) of that price over the space of just a few years. I'm sure we can find lots of similar examples for other makes.

If, on the other hand, you start by getting something second hand in good condition, that is a different matter - you may not subsequently see much in the way of any further price falls.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='maxiburke' timestamp='1503436402' post='3358316']
Agree 100% with this. Fantastic build quality and a really nice instrument. Will serve you well through any situation.

I was really surprised at how good they are when I played one.
[/quote] Another vote for the Cort from me , i have the GB74 and it holds its own with any of my far more expensive instruments.

[quote name='TLMC' timestamp='1502920982' post='3354463']
I'm trying to move my skill set from folk/pop in the direction of some hard rock and melodic metal.
I would prefer a five string bass, but I'm open for awesome four strings as well.
[/quote]

Dingwall NG-2 is equivalent or only slightly less dough than the Sandberg, but is definitely worth consideration. The fanned frets give the low B a very long scale length so it's as clear as a bell and records great. I'm lusting after one myself.

I would also look at the Yamaha BB range and see what Ibanez have to offer, there are some very nice basses with Nordstrand big singles, which are very meaty Jazz pickups.

I can relate to the OP's reservations about keeping the ([i]admittedly, very fine[/i]) Sandberg as a first bass - requires some commitment to spend a big chunk of money on something you may not stick with. What is the re-sale value (i.e. "loss") on a Sandberg if he chucks it in after 6 months??

Personally if I were looking at a good quality, inexpensive "first bass" I'd give serious consideration to a [b]Sire[/b] - designed with Marcus Miller - not overly expensive and highly regarded by those I've spoken to who own one.

I'd also consider some of the Squier Vintage Modified range...well priced and well respected.