Why become a member? ×

NBD: Wingbass (Half-sized mini bass NOW WITH GK system!)

ped

I've now started modding the Roland Micro Cube somewhat. Nothing OTT but since removing the plastic corner protectors I've also put the rubber feet on the side so the amp sits rotated 90 degrees with the input and controls on the side of the box. This means I can sit on top of it and also it fits under my coffee table without having to remove the lead.

Next I am changing the metal grille for a wooden frame covered with black speaker cloth, which should look quite nice. Hardly warrants a build thread... will update when it happens!

Any tips for covering a wooden frame with cloth? I've got some decent non stretchy stuff that I plan on basically stapling to the frame, then attaching the frame to the cab by using lego bricks or velcro...

I presume covering the existing metal grille with cloth is a no-no, but that said I've only read that in connection with big cabs in large rigs, which might produce flapping against the grille. Hardly an issue in this case...

Thanks! Here’s the cloth I bought. I’ve decided to cut some MDF into a square and then cut out the centre to make a rigid frame that won’t need glueing. I can use the pillar drill at work to do it and probably nick some wood too. 

OK the cloth arrived - turns out it's completely black rather than the 'salt 'n' pepper' style as per the listing. (although looking at the photo of my amp it kind of depends on the lighting)

For now I've covered the grille of the amp, which works fine as the curved ends of the grille actually do a great job of grabbing the cloth and holding it. I'll still make a wooden frame though next week. Here's a quick snap. Really pleased with how it looks now, nice and clean!

I might get a folding handle for the top, like a flight case style sprung handle.

Any ideas what I can call it, there's room for a logo on the top front edge (with a label gun!!)

IMG_0161.thumb.JPG.592179aba3116e3466f7f5a240f5bd23.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 21/11/2017 at 16:06, CameronJ said:

Every time I check on this thread I wish I’d bought that wingbass when I had the chance!

You’ll be interested in this - this week I’ve been setting up and playing the polyphonic octaver. This means I can play -1 octave and do chords or just not worry about tracking at all (no glitches whatsoever). Then I discovered you can add another -2 octave on top of that. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ped said:

You’ll be interested in this - this week I’ve been setting up and playing the polyphonic octaver. This means I can play -1 octave and do chords or just not worry about tracking at all (no glitches whatsoever). Then I discovered you can add another -2 octave on top of that. 

Ah, the joys of digital tracking! Have you made any clips of the sub octave sound soloed?

I spoke to Andy and asked if he could install and Aguilar Octamizer instead of the POG 😅 to my surprise he said yes! Still, I’m willing to be convinced by the nano POG...had a lacklustre experience with the micro POG a couple of years ago which has left me with a case of “once bitten, twice shy” syndrome.

3 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Ah, the joys of digital tracking! Have you made any clips of the sub octave sound soloed?

I’ll do some for you. It’s complicated to explain but so it can track each string at the same time you use just the Roland pickup, so you have to choose a bass model to begin with (including the setting where you can out pickups wherever you like and choose what type of preamp and pickups) and then add the polyphonic effect, so as you can imagine there are millions of sounds available. That’s why it’s taken me so long to get into it. That’s before you add effects and an amp/cab lol. 

It’s quite weird because it sounds exactly like playing a full sized bass... come on get yours ordered!

Oh god. That’s a serious rabbit hole. Not sure I’d be going for the Roland system but I guess it would make it the ultimate synth bass...🤔 food for thought. Still, I reckon I’ll be ordering a standard “analogue” Wingbass and can retrofit the GK at a later date like you did, if my desires lean in that direction...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I’ve been playing the Wing a lot since getting the Future Impact pedal. This bass could have been designed for it. It’s amazing for playing synths!!

Another thing, I’m playing it tuned ADADG which gives a massive range and tons of bottom. With some synths it gives me a headache it’s so ballsy!