Why become a member? ×

Footswitch needed - but latched or unlatched?

scrumpymike

The Magellan 800 I've just bought off this forum has 2 separate channels - clean and driven - that are selectable either via a push-button on the front panel or by plugging a footswitch in to a jack socket on the back. The manual says to use "any single-button footswitch" - but my local guitar shop asked whether I needed latched or unlatched. Beats me - anybody know?

I use [url="http://arachnidaudio.co.uk/product/amp-footswitch/"]one of these[/url] from Arachnid audio for channel switching on my Magellan 800.
According to the blurb on their website it is a latching switch.

I'm really pleased with it, it's well built, feels solid, looks great and, of course, does the job. Plus it's a bit cheaper than some of the other options available too. I don't think it states it on the website but there are several different LED colours available too. Mine has an externally powered LED with the internal polarity switch so you can choose which channel lights the LED up.

If you're interested, drop them a line. They were very helpful when I dealt with them a few months ago.

Thanks Raggy - odd that the on-line specs give the info but not the manual supplied with the amp.

Osiris - they look like nice switches but more expensive that the £16 my local dealer wants. Haven't seen his yet, as I only spoke to him on the phone. Maybe it doesn't have an LED, in which case I'll go for the Arachnid one. Btw, does the Magellan send power to the switch?

I've no idea if the Magellan can power a foot-switch. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so I'm assuming that it can't.
Mine is powered from a fuel tank junior power supply that feeds my tuner and compressor pedals. As mine is the smaller case size there's no room for a battery, but it might be possible that the larger sized case can accommodate a battery. Drop them an email to ask the question if you're tempted by one.

Hope this helps.