Why become a member? ×

BF Gen 4 cabs - not anytime soon but a new BF Amp may be!

Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1502789574' post='3353499']
A new look for your range that leaves the owner thinking "wow, these are gorgeous!" (and not "ok these are great sounding cabs but shame about that metal grille look"). There I've said it!
[/quote]

As the owner of two Barefaced cabs, both bought new by me with metal grilles specified, I have to disagree! Even a pristine cloth front reminds me of the dreadful old cabs that you used to see kicking around in the 70s and 80s with sagging fabric and/or bloody great rips across them. I really don't want to be reminded of that aspect of the 'good old days' at all!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1502802201' post='3353616']
As the owner of two Barefaced cabs, both bought new by me with metal grilles specified, I have to disagree! Even a pristine cloth front reminds me of the dreadful old cabs that you used to see kicking around in the 70s and 80s with sagging fabric and/or bloody great rips across them. I really don't want to be reminded of that aspect of the 'good old days' at all!
[/quote]
+1 - invention of the devil!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1502787167' post='3353467']
Ok you've whetted my appetite (although I really should be doing some work. Lol!) and are about to prove me and scrumpymike wrong. In what way is it going to be "the dream amp for bassists"?!
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502787312' post='3353468']
"Dream amp"?

There are lots of those.
[/quote]
[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1502787997' post='3353479']
I'm excited about it! Looking back through our records, we actually started the amp project in 2011 but it got going properly just over two years ago.
[/quote]

Well literally everything I would want from an amp seemed to be included, down to frequencies, compression, DI, all the specifics that if I think long and hard about I can`t think of at all, but if they were listed would be, so-and-so, tick/yippee, that kind of thing.

In one of the Facebook videos Alex states that he sees the cabs that he has currently covering 99% of bassist's needs and that he has no plans to add or replace any bass cabs as of yet.

As has been said in this already, amps, guitar cabs and a few other non-bass-cab projects are the immediate plans.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1502826366' post='3353827']
In one of the Facebook videos Alex states that he sees the cabs that he has currently covering 99% of bassist's needs and that he has no plans to add or replace any bass cabs as of yet.[/quote]

He's right. He got it covered for us.

I haven't thought about cabs in over 2 years. Well, I briefly looked at an SM and a Two10 but that doesn't count.

A more useful thread might be a list of options and features we would like to see on the BF amp when it appears.

I don't do much Facebook so this has probably already been addressed there, but I'd like a real 800 watts, big heft, 2 ohms and an adjustable HPF.

Edited by chris_b

Do you really need 2Ω capability? AFAICS it's main use is to run more than 2 cabs without needing special series/parallel leads making up and with high sensitivity cabs like Barefaced is this really necessary?

OTOH an adjustable (or fixed at around 35Hz like the Microthumpinator) HPF is an absolute must.

I'll tell you what I'd love, purely because I hate making the extra trip to bring it, it doesn't fit in my small gig box and I sometimes forget it altogether....

some kind of bass keeper/holder/rest to put the bass guitar on whilst not in use attached to the cab.

Edited by la bam

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1502876811' post='3354061']
I'll tell you what I'd love, purely because I hate making the extra trip to bring it, it doesn't fit in my small gig box and I sometimes forget it altogether....

some kind of bass keeper/holder/rest to put the bass guitar on whilst not in use attached to the cab.
[/quote]

I have both of these and they are ace:

D'addario Guitar Dock and Guitar Rest

https://www.thomann.de/gb/planet_waves_pw_gd_01_guitar_dock.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIac8LWn33CbCb5QYMmLVq01wLgmom8BriUB9VRVh0buBLqFDjLf5x2whoCUtkQAvD_BwE

https://www.thomann.de/gb/planet_waves_gr_01_guitar_rest.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIac3WZP39MB_nGmk2rOuOd50oAuHg-VtMNTGyUvTbSiwVvTkUDZpGythoCAlEQAvD_BwE

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1502875691' post='3354050']
Do you really need 2Ω capability? AFAICS it's main use is to run more than 2 cabs without needing special series/parallel leads making up and with high sensitivity cabs like Barefaced is this really necessary?
[/quote]

I just had an eye on the 4 ohm cabs Alex makes. Somewhere someone might want to run 2 of them.

My experience is that the SC's are so sensitive that 2 of them can match the volume I was getting out of my previous Berg 312.

I had two 2 ohm capable amps, my Thunderfunk 750 and a D800, and while I mostly used 4 or 2.67, I did use the 2 ohm option a couple of times. This amp won't be cheap so its features and capabilities will need to be extensive to compete.

I agree an adjustable HPF could be a decider for me.

I don't use one but I've come from Berg cabs which have very tight low end. I tried a Thumpinator with the Bergs and it made no difference to the sound at all. With the Bergs there was no muddiness or boom, even on the worst stages. As you know I went from them to a BB2 and didn't like the amount of big low end. The SC's are much better but I'd like the option of reducing the low end even more.

I'm thinking/hoping that raising the "floor" of the low end via an HPF would do this for me. On bad stages I always feel that trying to EQ out a bad low end also alters the rest of the sound too much, rather than just eliminating the problem. Maybe it's my lack of ability with EQ but using an HPF to tighten up just one part of the sound might be a solution.

I know I could buy a separate HPF but so far I've only seen fixed ones. I'm wondering if an adjustable HPF would be a better option. I'd also be hoping that a Barefaced HPF would be better than the competition.

I might also be barking up the wrong tree. Not for the first time!!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1502878435' post='3354084']

I have both of these and they are ace:

D'addario Guitar Dock and Guitar Rest

https://www.thomann.de/gb/planet_waves_pw_gd_01_guitar_dock.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIac8LWn33CbCb5QYMmLVq01wLgmom8BriUB9VRVh0buBLqFDjLf5x2whoCUtkQAvD_BwE

https://www.thomann.de/gb/planet_waves_gr_01_guitar_rest.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIac3WZP39MB_nGmk2rOuOd50oAuHg-VtMNTGyUvTbSiwVvTkUDZpGythoCAlEQAvD_BwE
[/quote]

That's superb that is. Off I go to buy one :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502885590' post='3354160']
I don't use one but I've come from Berg cabs which have very tight low end. I tried a Thumpinator with the Bergs and it made no difference to the sound at all. With the Bergs there was no muddiness or boom, even on the worst stages. As you know I went from them to a BB2 and didn't like the amount of big low end. The SC's are much better but I'd like the option of reducing the low end even more.

I'm thinking/hoping that raising the "floor" of the low end via an HPF would do this for me. On bad stages I always feel that trying to EQ out a bad low end also alters the rest of the sound too much, rather than just eliminating the problem. Maybe it's my lack of ability with EQ but using an HPF to tighten up just one part of the sound might be a solution.

I know I could buy a separate HPF but so far I've only seen fixed ones. I'm wondering if an adjustable HPF would be a better option. I'd also be hoping that a Barefaced HPF would be better than the competition.

[/quote]

Thanks Chris, that's a great explanation!

Any other deal-makers or breakers on the amp front? Throw your thoughts down here and I shall read and think and ask questions.

The amp design is already a long way along (and has come from what I want as a bassist and also what I see other bassists wanting/needing) but nothing is yet fixed in stone - I'd hope I haven't missed anything but you never know!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502885590' post='3354160']

[/quote]

Just interests sake, what amp are you using with the SC's? I'm thinking about getting a pair of them.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1502890576' post='3354205']
Just interests sake, what amp are you using with the SC's? I'm thinking about getting a pair of them.
[/quote]

I was using either a Thunderfunk 750 (now sold) or an Aguilar TH500.

The TH500 has been my main amp for about 3 years and I've had the SC's for nearly 2 years. I bought 1 cab from Merton and liked it so much that I ordered the second cab the next day. If you're style is anything like mine, Duck Dunn meets Nathan East with a little John McVie and Willie Weeks thrown in, you'd love it. I could probably gig with just 1 cab but I like the sound of both so I usually run 2 cabs. I haven't pushed them hard and still I can get loud very quickly. I've not been beyond noon on the gain and 1 o'clock on the master and we were [u]very[/u] loud that night.

Where are you? I'm not playing for a few weeks, but if you're in the South East I've got some gigs coming up at the end of September. You could have a listen.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1502787997' post='3353479']
I'm excited about it! Looking back through our records, we actually started the amp project in 2011 but it got going properly just over two years ago.
[/quote]

How many hefts will you be fitting it with? And will they be the right class of heft?

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1502886933' post='3354175']
Any other deal-makers or breakers on the amp front? Throw your thoughts down here and I shall read and think and ask questions.

The amp design is already a long way along (and has come from what I want as a bassist and also what I see other bassists wanting/needing) but nothing is yet fixed in stone - I'd hope I haven't missed anything but you never know!
[/quote]

I thought that the programmable graphic EQ on the Ashdown Superfly was an excellent idea - let down somewhat by the power amp section. There's a pedal with something similar now available - [url="http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/toolblox/programmable_eq.php"]http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/toolblox/programmable_eq.php[/url] which looks like it was designed for guitars and the bass bit was put on as an afterthought. Are you going down the graphic EQ route or one of the others (parametric or conventional)?