Why become a member? ×

BF Gen 4 cabs - not anytime soon but a new BF Amp may be!

Al Krow

From his website, I note that Alex bought out his current set of Gen 3 cabs back in 2013 and promised to continue with his innovation, asking us to stay tuned:

[color=#333333][size=3]In September 2013 the entire Generation 2 range (Midget, Midget T, Compact, Super Twelve, Super Twelve T, Super Fifteen, Big Baby T and Big Twin T) were discontinued as we launched the radical new Generation 3 models. The only pre-Gen 3 model that continued in production was the '69er.[/size][/color]
[size=3][i]Continuous research and development[/i][/size]
[color=#333333][size=3]We pushed the boundaries of what was possible with bass cab design when we launched our first model and we're not going to stop trying to push those boundaries - stay tuned![/size][/color]

That was 4 years ago. Any news on when his Gen 4 cabs are due out and what we might expect to be seeing in terms of new models and pricing (or indeed what suggestions BC'ers have been putting to him)?

Edited by Al Krow

Entirely reasonable suggestion (again!). I've dropped him a quick note:

[i]"Hi Alex, Your Gen 3 cabs came out in 2013, so I'm guessing that your Gen 4 should be due out sometime soon? Any news on what's in the pipeline for your Gen 4 cabs in terms of product range, pricing and timing of release? I suspect that I am not alone in looking forward to your new range! Looking forward to hearing from you. Al"[/i]

Will let you know if / when I hear back from him. In the meantime, if anyone else has any insights on this then please do share...

You could always tune into his Facebook Live videos, think there's another one today. Been pretty good so far & he's happy to discuss his plans for the future, even guitar cabs! Still hasn't answered my question about tolex & cloth finish on the 12" range of cabs though.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1502784797' post='3353435']
You could always tune into his Facebook Live videos, think there's another one today. Been pretty good so far & he's happy to discuss his plans for the future, even guitar cabs! Still hasn't answered my question about tolex & cloth finish on the 12" range of cabs though.
[/quote]

That sounds good...I wasn't even aware these existed! I'm probably not going to be able tune in (likely to be at work) but if you've already had some feedback from him on his plans for the future then please do share, I'm guessing there is wider interest in this topic than just mine!

You can watch the videos back. You don't have to see them live.

I think he said that there are no plans to update the cabs for now but he is working on an amplifier so will be watching for that. Be interesting to see what he manages to achieve.

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1502785573' post='3353442']
You can watch the videos back. You don't have to see them live.

I think he said that there are no plans to update the cabs for now but he is working on an amplifier so will be watching for that. Be interesting to see what he manages to achieve.
[/quote]

I can understand why Alex would want to expand out of the very limited market of bass cabs. Guitar cabs, yes - but getting into amps could be a step too far. May look like an obvious expansion route for his business but development costs will be substantial and it's hard to see how he could bring as much to the amplifier party as he has done with the cabs.

Oh no! I'm kinda skeptical that the ability to make a great cab will automatically translate into being a quality amp maker and we all know that amps are SUCH a competitive market place with some great players with big budgets. I'd personally be concerned that this could turn out to be an expensive distraction for Alex from doing something that he is doing very well with a strong following (and further delay in bringing out his Gen 4 cabs which could be a killer product if he further improves on form and function); but hey I'm just a simple bass player!

Just seen scrumpymike's post...we seem to be in full agreement!

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1502786707' post='3353463']
Last time I saw him - about a year ago - he spoke about the amp they`re developing, sounded like the dream amp for bassists.
[/quote]

Ok you've whetted my appetite (although I really should be doing some work. Lol!) and are about to prove me and scrumpymike wrong. In what way is it going to be "the dream amp for bassists"?!

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1502784797' post='3353435']
You could always tune into his Facebook Live videos, think there's another one today. Been pretty good so far & he's happy to discuss his plans for the future, even guitar cabs! [/quote]

Thanks!

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1502784797' post='3353435']Still hasn't answered my question about tolex & cloth finish on the 12" range of cabs though.[/quote]

I definitely did!

https://www.facebook.com/BarefacedAudio/videos/10155648483312704/

(about twelve minutes in - apologies for the sheer quantity of shoulder shrugging when answering ;) )

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1502786707' post='3353463']Last time I saw him - about a year ago - he spoke about the amp they`re developing, sounded like the dream amp for bassists.[/quote]

I'm excited about it! Looking back through our records, we actually started the amp project in 2011 but it got going properly just over two years ago.

Morning Alex!

So you gonna spill the beans on:
- a teaser on where the new amp is heading (power, price-point, size / weight, tone, class D or class A/B / Mosfet / valve, preamp, EQ etc!) [and why me and scrumpymike shouldn't worry that this is going to be an expensive detour from your excellent cabs in a crowded and v competitive marketplace?]
- when (if?) Gen 4 cabs are coming out and what we might have to look forward to from your new cab product range?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1502788424' post='3353486']- a teaser on where the new amp is heading (power, price-point, size / weight, tone, class D or class A/B / Mosfet / valve, preamp, EQ etc!) [and why me and scrumpymike shouldn't worry that this is going to be an expensive detour from your excellent cabs in a crowded and v competitive marketplace?][/quote]

Watch the broadcast later today!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1502788424' post='3353486']- when (if?) Gen 4 cabs are coming out and what we might have to look forward to from your new cab product range?
[/quote]

I guess my question would be "what do you all want from Gen 4?"

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1502788726' post='3353487']
I guess my question would be "what do you all want from Gen 4?"
[/quote]

Ok so you're happy to open the flood gates then! :)

My starters for 10: a new BBII something along the lines of the new Markbass Traveller 123: 800W and great performance in the mids, as well as the lows, but in a significantly lighter package which is, of course, your forte.

A new look for your range that leaves the owner thinking "wow, these are gorgeous!" (and not "ok these are great sounding cabs but shame about that metal grille look"). There I've said it!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1502789574' post='3353499']My starters for 10: a new BBII something along the lines of the new Markbass Traveller 123: 800W and great performance in the mids, as well as the lows, but in a significantly lighter package which is, of course, your forte.[/quote]

I don't understand what about the Big Baby 2 doesn't already fulfil these criteria?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1502789574' post='3353499']A new look for your range that leaves the owner thinking "wow, these are gorgeous!" (and not "ok these are great sounding cabs but shame about that metal grille look"). There I've said it![/quote]

That's why we offer optional cloth grills and further customisation like unique cloth, different piping, different baffle colours etc.

Confused!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1502789574' post='3353499']
My starters for 10: a new BBII something along the lines of the new Markbass Traveller 123: 800W and great performance in the mids, as well as the lows, but in a significantly lighter package which is, of course, your forte.

A new look for your range that leaves the owner thinking "wow, these are gorgeous!" (and not "ok these are great sounding cabs but shame about that metal grille look"). There I've said it!
[/quote]

I'd second both of those...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502789699' post='3353501']
I want the implementation of Graphene cabs. And I want it now.
[/quote]

Bwahahahaha!!!

Hell yes. I'd buy one of those.

Failing graphene, how about the world's first carbon fibre bass cab?