Why become a member? ×

MK in BGM

spectoremg

Whilst Mark King is a divisive character in terms of his playing style, I don't think it could be argued he is amazingly good at what he does.

However, I thought that if the captions on the front cover had been altered to a style befitting Cosmopolitan magazine it'd be hilarious: Mark King - "Why middle aged men want to be me."

Just read through the content and looked at the photos, nice bit of PR 'puff' for Gizmodrome and Status Basses.

Not sure what the picture of him 'gurning' and clenching his fist is about: and there's just lots of other spurious photos too with very little written content over 8 full pages and 7 photos, all obviously taken in a local hotel room.

Still it could have been worse, like an old interview with Sir Paul?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1502750375' post='3353329']
Just read through the content and looked at the photos, nice bit of PR 'puff' for Gizmodrome and Status Basses.

Not sure what the picture of him 'gurning' and clenching his fist is about: and there's just lots of other spurious photos too with very little written content over 8 full pages and 7 photos, all obviously taken in a local hotel room.

[/quote]

I didn't know what Gizmodrome was, so I looked. Adrian Belew and Mark King?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1502750375' post='3353329']

[/quote]BGM probably wet themselves when they found out Mark had a 'new' project and promptly filled a great chunk of the mag with it.

You only have to listen to the breadth of L42 material to realise that MK can do it all on bass. I just do not understamd why people love to have a pop at him. When I grow up I want to be touring on a regular basis playing whatever I want from my extensive back catalogue. Most of us would.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1502826795' post='3353830']
Coming from where I live I assumed the title referred to Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire Gardening Magazine. Somewhat not surprised, however, to find out it is not the case.
[/quote]

I thought this was going to be about Milton Keynes too. Bummer.

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1502836625' post='3353914']
Had a brief exchange with Mark tonight on twitter - says the new 6 string Status is glorious, but sounds better with two of the strings taken off

I said wondered if it was to hide his waistline better
[/quote]

Did he say why he has a six string now? I'd love to know.

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1502877127' post='3354070']
Sorry, he didn't mention why a 6 string. Can only assume it's for Gizmodrome, his new band with Adrian Belew & Stewart Copeland?
[/quote]

Wow just found the album launch video. Mark is playing (a 4 string) with a pick too!! IMHO He should of done this years ago!!! (joined new projects that is!)

Brendan

Edited by Sonic_Groove

I'm very interested to see where he goes with his new band. It's long over due.

He's generally avoided more than four strings on the grounds that the E string doesn't sound as punchy but I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with 6 strings. Perhaps more of his tasty chordal stuff.

Mark is a multi instrumentalist too - drums, guitar and bass mainly. Not sure about keys.

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1502877127' post='3354070']
Sorry, he didn't mention why a 6 string. Can only assume it's for Gizmodrome, his new band with Adrian Belew & Stewart Copeland?
[/quote]
Disappointingly, he did say in the article that he's only got it "for noodling on". Somewhat inspired by seeing Thundercat at Glastonbury, he asked Status to make him a six string version of his paramatrix bass. So there you go - just gonna give Rob Green a buzz and tell him I too saw Thundercat (on telly) and can I have a free bass please. 😂
I'm actually hoping to see MK play that sixer live.😊

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1502912038' post='3354379']
Disappointingly, he did say in the article that he's only got it "for noodling on". Somewhat inspired by seeing Thundercat at Glastonbury, he asked Status to make him a six string version of his paramatrix bass. So there you go - just gonna give Rob Green a buzz and tell him I too saw Thundercat (on telly) and can I have a free bass please.
I'm actually hoping to see MK play that sixer live.
[/quote]
Maybe he'll do a Pot Noodle advert on it?