Why become a member? ×

Compressor for a noob

tandark

Team BC.

Been playing a tokai MIJ hardpuncher through a Fender Rumble 500 combo. Finding it a bit boomy at times and beginning to think now is the time to investigate a compressor pedal to smooth things out a little (certainly not after major squashing).
As I'm a rookie to the world of compression, any recommendations for a favourite mild compressor out there?

N.B's
ultra pricey boutique etc not on my radar.
I'm aware of ovnilab, but would like opinions.

Boomy might be an EQ issue, less bass more low mids might help.

If you want to try compression may I suggest a Zoom B1on multi effects pedal, cheap as chips, has a few modelled compressors in it and you get all the other effect thrown in, a great way to try what works for you.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1502713211' post='3353011']
Boomy might be an EQ issue, less bass more low mids might help.

If you want to try compression may I suggest a Zoom B1on multi effects pedal, cheap as chips, has a few modelled compressors in it and you get all the other effect thrown in, a great way to try what works for you.
[/quote]

I agree. Unless you actually want a compressor then just cutting the bass EQ a bit will help. Start with completely flat EQ and cut bass if it's boomy. Add some mids to cut through a but

the EQ on the Rumble is a bit limited but try turn the bass knob down it cuts around the 80Hz mark, just in case you haven't got it here's the what all the controls do
Bass: +/- 15dB @ 80Hz
Low mid: +/- 12dB @ 280Hz
High mid: +/- 12dB @ 1.2kHz
Treble: +/- 15dB @ 10kHz

Bright: +13dB @ 10kHz
Contour: +1dB @ 80Hz, -13dB @ 670Hz, +2dB @ 8kHz
Vintage: dynamic compression (-9dB max) with low pass (-6dB/oct) @ 400Hz

EQ chain is:

Bright > Vintage > O/D > Contour > EQ

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1502726412' post='3353139']
Zoom B1ON - no brainer.......i use mine all the time as a practice unit as well
[/quote]

and one just popped up in the classifieds too.........

(not mine by the way)

You could have a look at one of these.
Its idiot proof. I should know, I have one!! :blink:
https://reverb.com/uk/item/4660908-xvive-xb1-bass-squeezer-pedal-by-jamie-mallender-dark-red?gclid=CjwKCAjwt8rMBRBOEiwA2F2biMgvgmkNH5gT8idbb1R9Qftvi-wE7aW2J5WQ5-x75VRkJP5JUm59nRoCCTwQAvD_BwE&pla=1

I have one of these and it's great. Easy to use, the instructions are excellent with a few suggested presets.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/1611900-007/compression-pedals/seymour-duncan-studio-bass-compressor-pedal?LGWCODE=1611900007;56375;6335&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Knl15Lb1QIVR7XtCh3VcwkZEAQYASABEgLYXfD_BwEe pedal has a pretty simple EQ switch which combines with the compression to offer a pretty good range of tone shaping. Maybe a wee bit pricey though, sure I paid about £130 for it.

Edited by Thunderpaws

I'm a big fan of my Palmer Deepressor.
Inexpensive, really solidly built, very simple controls and quite transparent tonally.
I find it evens things out quite nicely and if you use the -10db pad then it reduces the amount of signal over the threshold (which you can then compensate for on the output level control) and stops it getting too squashed.

http://youtu.be/pBcz8U0TTKg

If you just want to even out the level of your playing you might actually prefer a limiter. I like my green behringer BLE100 pedal a lot for this & normally just set all four controls to twelve o'clock & forget about it. The current model, the BLE400 looks to be functionally identical & can be found new for about £20.

... when you've moved up from Noob status, to a more broader understanding, then I would recommend this: -

Nova Dynamics ~ Compressor and Noise Gate ~ with metering ~ by TC Electronic.

Multi band compression ('stomp' compression for that classic "squash" and TC's advanced 'Studio' multiband compression).

DISCONTINUED and rarely available - but, here's one for less than the MXR: -

http://www.reddogmusic.co.uk/catalog/product/126724/tc-electronic-ndy-1-nova-dynamics-b-stock?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-ovHyb7l1QIVyLvtCh2l_w6NEAQYASABEgK_JfD_BwE

I'd watch some vids & read up about what both a compressor does & what EQ does. If you can get a compressor with some sort of meter, it'll allow you to judge what you're doing easier.
When I was fairly new to compressors, I got a lend of a Boss compressor pedal & all & seemed to be able to do was raise the noise floor.
If you've got a computer & can plug your bass in to it, play about with a VST compressor & get a feel for what it does.
If you've got access to Lynda.com, have a look at Billy Sheehan talking about compression.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tandark' timestamp='1503496933' post='3358716']
a couple of compressors I like the look of are the Fairfield Circuitry Accountant and the Rothwell Love Squeeze. Any users on here?
[/quote]

The Rothwell is a great simple two-knobber with good compression and low noise, by all accounts. Never tried one though.

I do have an Accountant though, but I use it set with low compression as a dirty boost / overdrive. For some reason it's very noisy when adding the input pad to clean the sound up, so I wouldn't recommend it as a general purpose compressor.

I have no experience with Rumble amps, but if it's boominess you're trying to mitigate (I dunno, perhaps some overbearing lower frequency band? Maybe in the room!), I'd prefer to address it with EQ, and then using compression for sculpting dynamics.

Then again, a good squishy comp can be a great bit of fun. YMMV. :)