Why become a member? ×

TRAINERS

Count Bassy

My apologies if this subject has been covered before.

I am looking to get myself a portable trainer device (Christmas is coming). I've looked at a few on paper, but not actually tried any. To be honest, based on the specs the Tascam looks to be the best option for me, but I was hoping to some solicit opinions from anyone here who's actually used any of them.

The ones I've looked at are the Korg Pandora, the Tascam MP-BT1 bass trainer, and the Boss MicroBR. The impression I get is that the Boss thing seems to be more targeted at recording and effects rather than training, and the Korg has lots of effects and amp/speaker emulations, but a very limited memory and only a short loop facility.

The Tascam seems to have a fair memory capacity, but doesn't allow you to record anything, the only way to load anything being via USB.
Also the tascam doesn't have any auxiliary input, so if what you want isn't loaded then your stuck unless you've got it on your PC. Neither does it have any sort of rythm generator/drum machine (which some of the others have), so you'd have to load any drum tracks as a song via the USB.

As I say, at the moment I'm favouring the Tascam, but am interested in opinions on the above three or anyother such device.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

PS I already have a simple headphone amp set up, but am looking to move up from that.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='321257' date='Nov 3 2008, 07:48 PM']My apologies if this subject has been covered before.

I am looking to get myself a portable trainer device (Christmas is coming). I've looked at a few on paper, but not actually tried any. To be honest, based on the specs the Tascam looks to be the best option for me, but I was hoping to some solicit opinions from anyone here who's actually used any of them.

The ones I've looked at are the Korg Pandora, the Tascam MP-BT1 bass trainer, and the Boss MicroBR. The impression I get is that the Boss thing seems to be more targeted at recording and effects rather than training, and the Korg has lots of effects and amp/speaker emulations, but a very limited memory and only a short loop facility.

The Tascam seems to have a fair memory capacity, but doesn't allow you to record anything, the only way to load anything being via USB.
Also the tascam doesn't have any auxiliary input, so if what you want isn't loaded then your stuck unless you've got it on your PC. Neither does it have any sort of rythm generator/drum machine (which some of the others have), so you'd have to load any drum tracks as a song via the USB.

As I say, at the moment I'm favouring the Tascam, but am interested in opinions on the above three or anyother such device.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

PS I already have a simple headphone amp set up, but am looking to move up from that.[/quote]

I had a pandora version 3 (can't remeber the model code - it was the red one) which was good, but I know have the tascam which has no drum machine (but it has a metronome) but obviously stores mp3's. it is a great piece of kit, and is useful for working out covers as well as general practice. I'd recommend it :)

I have both the Tascam and Boss. Both have their uses, and both do stuff the other wont...... The Tascam is great jsut for noodling with, but the Boss will do most of what the Tascam will plus its great for recording jam sessions and converting to MP3. The boss has a few pre recorded drum beats and and I have put some more on ( recorded from drum machine and converted to MP3) which is great for timing.....

Plus you can (and I have) record an drum track and bass line and send it to your geetarist for them to get in sync...... :huh:

If you just want to noodle or learn stuff the Tascam is ideal. If you need a more expandable practice tool the Boss is better.

IMO and experience..... :)

I have a Tascam BT1 MkII which is great as you dont need to plug in an external CD player and a limitless sample time. It only has a metronome though and the EQ isn't very good. I used to have the Korg Pandora which had great tone and a good drum machine, but only a limited sampler and you had to hook up an external player for CDs, etc. Both good, depends what's most important to you feature wise.

Thanks for your replies people.

I've just stumbled upon the tascam GTR-1, which seems to be a blend of the MP-BT1 bas trainer and the Boss microBR (ie it has inbuilt mics, has a line input, and allows recodering/overdubbing) Mind you at £265 you'd expect it to be good!

Any one come across that one ?

Thanks again.

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne