Why become a member? ×

Large rigs

Kevin Dean

I just looked at Mr Foxtons bass Rig that I thought was large at 2x15 & a 4x10 , So I asked Mark Gooday from Ashdown what was the largest rig that He had supplied ? It was for Greg Lake 20 plus cabs including 21" & Acoustic amps for the High end ....Typical pub rig then .

Bigger than most pubs I`d reckon. I`d love to try a rig like that out, just to try and understand why people feel the need for them. I just always think of a "Back to The Future" moment when looking at rigs like that.

Bruce Foxtons rig is nice though, he gets a cracking sound from it. Nice & twangy but with a good controlled low end.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1502500883' post='3351897']
I would love to try two 8x10s stacked horizontally with a big valve amp.
[/quote]
Me too, I have a stereo bass (individual pickup outs) and would love to try that through my QSC PLX2402 amp with a a rack pre-amp on each channel, plus a roland JC120 taking the high end out from pre-amp crossover output fed from the bridge pickup.

However there aren't many gigs that I could do that setup and not annoy the sound guy. I'm not after the volume just the clarity and density of sound.
That said I've done a few gigs at a large music college in town and the sound guy is happy for me to do that setup next time I gig there. :-)

Biggest rig I owned was this one (tb1200, retro610, 210 and s15)...immense bass that rumbled the inners like nothing I've ever felt in a small rehearsal room. Nothing compared to that ashdown set up though! :o also no real practical application for gigs I play!! XD Big rigs rule.

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1502500883' post='3351897']
I would love to try two 8x10s stacked horizontally with a big valve amp.
[/quote]
Whenever I think about horizontal 8x10s, Nicky Wire (Manic SP) comes to mind...

4x horizontal 8x10s

It's just all for show. A large PA can put out more bass than any 'Monster' bass rig.

A guitarist I knew, years ago, toured with Michael Shenker. Shenker had the obligatory wall of Marshalls but was actually plugged into a little Mesa Boogie combo, which was hidden behind the 'wall'.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1502953961' post='3354562']
It's just all for show. A large PA can put out more bass than any 'Monster' bass rig.

[/quote]

On the other hand, John Myung has been pretty much inaudible since he stopped using on stage amps.

There`s also the - and we know it`s wrong, don`t we - point that many punters will expect big amps/speakers, and if they see small amps on stage they feel that the band can`t be a "real band, otherwise they`d have real amps". But then I suppose that depends on which scene you`re playing, metal, rock, punk, you kindof expect big ampage & cabbage.