Why become a member? ×

Cheap alternative for stage lighting

bonzodog

I've been reading up on LED colour changing light bulbs that fit into a traditional socket like the ones here

Auraglow 10 W Remote Control Colour Changing LED Light Bulb B22 Super Bright Warm White Dimmable Version – 2nd Generation https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CSTU7C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ghlJzbXPXBHFS

I have plenty of old desk and floor lamps around that these would fit into and am thinking these would make a cheap way to light a stage. Not sure they are bright enough for FOH spotlights but I'm thinking a couple on floor behind amps as a back wall wash.
Apparently one remote control can control more than one light which is cool.

Anyone used them in band or at home?

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1502393105' post='3351215']...
[/quote]

These ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-10W-RGB-LED-Flood-Light-Waterproof-Outdoor-Graden-light-IR-Remote-Control/311906870965?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D38086183f94142a783fc84d03543509c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D222584440376&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851"]Ebay: Led Floodlights x 5 ...[/url]

I use these (in white only...) at home, as workshop lights, and 10w is very bright indeed. With the colour changing you'd lose a few lumens, but easily enough for a pub stage area, or back-lighting, as you suggest. True, they won't use your current fittings, but they can be stood on the floor as they are, or easily fixed to a stand of sorts, or clamped to PA stands for side flood. As a bonus, they're waterproof for light rain, at least, so could be risked outdoors. I'll be getting a set like this for our next gigs, if I get well enough to gig again. Certainly not 'pro' quality, but those that I have are well made and reliable. Being LED, they are pretty well shock-proof, don't heat up much at all and last a very long time.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps.

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1502405167' post='3351303']
Try some ex dj stuff

Fog machines

Pyrotechnics

Boom!

Get cheap cheap!
[/quote]

As someone who has operated pyro professionally, I'd suggest not trying to do it on the cheap, and in fact not trying to do it at all without proper training, knowledge and safety assessments.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1502393105' post='3351215']
I've been reading up on LED colour changing light bulbs that fit into a traditional socket like the ones here

Auraglow 10 W Remote Control Colour Changing LED Light Bulb B22 Super Bright Warm White Dimmable Version – 2nd Generation [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CSTU7C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ghlJzbXPXBHFS"]https://www.amazon.c...a_ghlJzbXPXBHFS[/url]

I have plenty of old desk and floor lamps around that these would fit into and am thinking these would make a cheap way to light a stage. Not sure they are bright enough for FOH spotlights but I'm thinking a couple on floor behind amps as a back wall wash.
Apparently one remote control can control more than one light which is cool.

[/quote]

Got them at home. You wouldn't want to use them in a stage situation. They haven't the power you'll need. 10 Watts is not enough. It's probably equivalent to a 75 watt incandescent bulb in brightness.

They're nice of an evening with the main lights off while you watch telly. Good for badly lit nooks and cubby holes too.

Stop trying to cheap out and go onto Thomann's site. That'll help desensitise you with regards to the costs of proper LED stage lighting.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1502455429' post='3351589']

Stop trying to cheap out and go onto Thomann's site. That'll help desensitise you with regards to the costs of proper LED stage lighting.
[/quote]

I already use ADJ par cans that are very bright and cost quite a bit for main spots. As I indicated above I was wondering if these may be a good option for a back wall wash

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1502455876' post='3351596']
I already use ADJ par cans that are very bright and cost quite a bit for main spots. As I indicated above I was wondering if these may be a good option for a back wall wash
[/quote]

The answer is 'Yes'; be aware that you'll need 'line-of-sight' for them to obey the remote, though.

I still don't think they're going to make any appreciable impact. There aren't nearly as many LEDs in the bulb in your OP as there are in the American DJ lamps for a start. You will notice them if there aren't any other lights on with them okay but not much more than that.

Another thing about the lamp in question - you may well lose some of the LEDs. They're not the most long lived of LED products available.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1502461070' post='3351653']
I still don't think they're going to make any appreciable impact. There aren't nearly as many LEDs in the bulb in your OP as there are in the American DJ lamps for a start. You will notice them if there aren't any other lights on with them okay but not much more than that.

Another thing about the lamp in question - you may well lose some of the LEDs. They're not the most long lived of LED products available.
[/quote]

On the other hand, they're not very expensive to try out. I had similar qualms when I acquired my first cheap leds, but, so far, I've not been disappointed with any of 'em, including workshop floods, main tube (ex-neon...) lights, outdoors auto-lights and several other types. They might go duff in two days, but I doubt it; if they did, their cost would be reimbursed. I've worked with pro lights (I was lighter for a band for several years, and assistant to a buddy with an events company, so I've seen a few...). No, they won't rival with Martin lights, but [i]will [/i]provide a backstage wash in a pub or small theatre.
Just my tuppence-worth, though.

I really don't think 10 watt LEDS are going to cut it I'm afraid.

These are 50 Watt cool whites, we use them as an effect and they do look bright on the photo but we point them straight at the audience from the floor and they don't cause anyone to squint. Think you'll have to get as higher wattage as you can if you want anything useful.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1502656526' post='3352758']
[url="https://m.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_bar_240_8_bundle.htm"]https://m.thomann.de...40_8_bundle.htm[/url]

We use these. Brilliant, hook together with an XLR without unstability, light in weight, easy to use programs. Can't wait to buy more!
[/quote]

Non-mobile users might find this link renders better on screen;
https://thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_bar_240_8_bundle.htm

• 3 years later...

Lighting is only one component of production, and for lighting design to achieve the overall goals of a theatrical performance, it cannot exist independently. On the contrary, it must work in conjunction with the other design elements, the performers, and the director's vision. Similarly, the physical components of lighting design must work in combination with various aspects of the physical setting, such as the theater space, lighting components, personnel, and the production program. So to begin with, I would advise you to seek help from this company in London builds exhibition stands and deals with various other issues in this field

Edited by PippaSmith

5 minutes ago, RoseAbraham said:

Can anyone at all explain to me why lighting is so important, and who you advise to rent good equipment

Depending on the event, it can be as important as the music. As for equipment, one would need to have context to give an appropriate reply.

• 7 months later...

I was here when I started working as a photographer and generally understand the different lighting. I bought both LED lamps and lamps that can be controlled by wifi using your phone. It's pretty convenient to start with, especially since you can ask the model and match the color with your mood. It is also so easy to convey the atmosphere, and you can also use such a lamp just for home. So when you buy more expensive and more professional lighting in the future, you can easily use this lamp just for yourself. Anyway, that's what I did, and it's comfortable enough and suitable for simpler photo shoots at home.

Edited by medsakord

Just discovered the wonders of Ape Labs. Not the cheapest, but brilliant, brilliant kit. Battery powered, can be controlled by your phone with their incredibly simply app if you have the transceiver and there’s so many creative options. Check them out!