Why become a member? ×

Loud Inc cabs?

FarFromTheTrees

Hi guys.

I recently bought 2 Loud Inc Cabs (1x15 & 4x10) with an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 head all in for £200. The cabs and head are in immaculate shape and it sounds great (my first non-combo rig). I bought them based purely on how good they sounded when I tested them out and I figured a full stack in that good condition for £200 doesnt come along too often..especially where I live so I jumped on it.

I cant find a whole lot of information on line about them though. Does anyone know anything about them?

Cheers :)

As far as I can remember Loud Inc was a small concern based in Northern Ireland. They were making these cabs about 10-15 years ago. The cabs were amazing value for money however for the suppliers ran into difficulties, deliveries became very erratic and they eventually ceased trading. I'm sure someone who was on Bassworld will be able to add a bit more.

More info at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/27039-loud-inc-410-cab/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/27039-loud-inc-410-cab/[/url]

A lot of people got stung on Bassworld with them going out of business and not supplying the goods. At the end they where chasing cash flow and did not have the parts to cover the orders but still taking orders.

I bought a 2x10 off Ebay from them new and was lucky to receive it (in hindsight)

The Cabs themselves where pretty good, Great driver and construction. You could sell the drivers for more than the £200 you paid so good score :)

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1502314303' post='3350675']
As far as I can remember Loud Inc was a small concern based in Northern Ireland. They were making these cabs about 10-15 years ago. The cabs were amazing value for money however for the suppliers ran into difficulties, deliveries became very erratic and they eventually ceased trading. I'm sure someone who was on Bassworld will be able to add a bit more.

More info at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/27039-loud-inc-410-cab/"]http://basschat.co.u...ud-inc-410-cab/[/url]
[/quote]

Oh so quite the wee scandal there. That's interesting. Cheers!

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1502350471' post='3350783']
A lot of people got stung on Bassworld with them going out of business and not supplying the goods. At the end they where chasing cash flow and did not have the parts to cover the orders but still taking orders.

I bought a 2x10 off Ebay from them new and was lucky to receive it (in hindsight)

The Cabs themselves where pretty good, Great driver and construction. You could sell the drivers for more than the £200 you paid so good score :)
[/quote]

Oh really? I'm not so well versed in the innards or cabs and stuff. Out of interest, do you happen to know the value of the drivers? I'm not planning on selling them, it would just be nice to know :)

Loud Inc usually used Eminence USA components. I've had three of them, two 4x10's and a 1x15.

The 4x10's used either 250 or 300 watt drivers, making the cabs 1000/1200watt handling. They also
came with a crappy piezo type horn ( which often packed in quickly! ) Came in both 8 and 4 ohm options.
The 1x15's were mostly 350 watts/8 ohms with no horn. Both cabs were the same dimensions IIRC, so
stacked well. Quite lightweight construction but reasonably sturdy - my first 4x10 took a lot of hammering
for years and never failed. Good gear at very good prices, the drivers alone are not worth a fortune
so best leave them as they are!
( Probably worth checking your 4x10 is 8 ohm, as pairing a 4 ohm 4x10 with your 8 ohm 1x15 may cause
your amp problems. Would assume as you bought the rig together though, both cabs will be 8 ohms. )
Cheers.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1502469004' post='3351722']
Loud Inc usually used Eminence USA components. I've had three of them, two 4x10's and a 1x15.

The 4x10's used either 250 or 300 watt drivers, making the cabs 1000/1200watt handling. They also
came with a crappy piezo type horn ( which often packed in quickly! ) Came in both 8 and 4 ohm options.
The 1x15's were mostly 350 watts/8 ohms with no horn. Both cabs were the same dimensions IIRC, so
stacked well. Quite lightweight construction but reasonably sturdy - my first 4x10 took a lot of hammering
for years and never failed. Good gear at very good prices, the drivers alone are not worth a fortune
so best leave them as they are!
( Probably worth checking your 4x10 is 8 ohm, as pairing a 4 ohm 4x10 with your 8 ohm 1x15 may cause
your amp problems. Would assume as you bought the rig together though, both cabs will be 8 ohms. )
Cheers.
[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

They were advertised as 8 ohm, but how do I check them to be sure?

Also you said "250 or 300 watt drivers, making the cabs 1000/1200watt handling." Could you explain what this means exactly? As I said earlier, this is my first foray into separate amps and cabs so the terminology and fine details are somewhat lost on me at the moment.

Cheers!

[quote name='FarFromTheTrees' timestamp='1502753050' post='3353337']
Also you said "250 or 300 watt drivers, making the cabs 1000/1200watt handling." Could you explain what this means exactly? As I said earlier, this is my first foray into separate amps and cabs so the terminology and fine details are somewhat lost on me at the moment.
[/quote]

Quite simply, if each speaker is rated at 300w, then four of them in a cabinet will mean the cabinet is rated at 1200w.

+1 to the above.
Basically your 4x10 should be able to handle pretty much any amp you use, so your Ashdown would be
fine with either cab on it's own if you prefer that.

This clip shows how to check your cab ohmage. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3WMt7nrjw

• 2 months later...

[i][b][size=3](bumping my old thread for further information rather than begin a new one)[/size][/b][/i]

So the cabs are 8 ohm, I checked them as per posted instructions above so thanks for that!

Are there any head recommendations under £400 which I could use with these cabs?

What is the benefit (if there is one) of using the 1x15 & 4x10 with a 300w head over say using my 4x10 alone with a 500w (or higher wattage) head?

I ask because I think the Ashdown EB180 which came with the cabs isn't quite cutting it for me. I feel like i'm pushing it too hard at practice (we havent started gigging yet) so a higher wattage amp may be in order, especially if we start doing gigs and I need more wattage. The dilemma is do I keep the 1x15 (350w) or sell it and go for a higher wattage head to use with the 4x10 (1200w). I dont see many heads with higher wattage ratings at 8 ohm impedance. Everywhere I look they are rated for 4 ohms, with the 8 ohm value being markedly diminished.

I was looking at the Markbass Nano Mark 300. On the spec it states [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][color=#000000]300W@4ohm / 150W@8ohm. Would someone be kind enough clarify this for me ala amplification for dummies? I dont yet fully understand much about amp and cab impedance values etc. My guess is that with both my 1x15 and[/color][/font][color=#000000][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] 4x10 [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]cabs, I would have the full 300w when used in parallel as that is 2x150w?[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Would the Markbass amp in question deliver 150w to each speaker in the 4x10 totalling 600w? I feel that may be a glaringly noobish question to ask but I need to know for certain. If not, why not? 4x300w/8ohm speakers being supplied at 150w each = 600w? [/font][/color]

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]I was also considering financing a GK MB500. This amp is rated 500w@4ohm / 350w@8ohm. So a total of 700w when using both my 8 ohm cabs. Correct?.[/color][/font]

Cheers!

Edited by FarFromTheTrees

The Markbass would give 150 watts into either of your 8 ohm cabs on their own - the 8 ohms refers to the spec of the total cabinet, whatever speakers are in it. The 4x10 would probably sound louder due to having more speaker area but worth trying them both separately to see which you prefer.
If you use the Markbass with both cabinets you will indeed use the full output of the amp - 300 watts - as this means it would be running into 2x8 ohm cabs which would give a total load of 4 ohms to the amp.

The GK scenario is much the same - 350 watts output into either of your 8 ohm cabs on their own, the full 500 watts into both of them used together.

I would sell the Ashdown EB and probably the 1x15 cab to finance the GK MB. Although into your 4x10 it's only giving 350 watts, in reality it may well be enough. Best to try out first if at all possible of course :) , hope this helps!

Edited by casapete

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1509547759' post='3399799']
The GK scenario is much the same - 350 watts output into either of your 8 ohm cabs on their own, the full 500 watts into both of them used together.
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying, much appreciated. So that means I couldnt use both my cabs with the GK as my 1x15 is only 350w, right?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1509651146' post='3400643']
The main advantage of using more speakers is that you move more air. I'd be looking for a second hand Markbass LM2 or LM3 in the classifieds and run it with both cabs.
[/quote]

I'll take a look at those, thanks for the tip! :D

[quote name='FarFromTheTrees' timestamp='1509718720' post='3401173']
Thanks for clarifying, much appreciated. So that means I couldnt use both my cabs with the GK as my 1x15 is only 350w, right?

I'll take a look at those, thanks for the tip! :D
[/quote]

Yes, the two cabs will each get around 250 watts (i.e. 50% each) of the GK's full 500 watts output, as they are
both rated at 8 ohms so should receive an even split of the amp's output.
You can also probably use the 1x15 on it's own as the amp will give around the same output (350w) as the cab
can handle, if it's the original Eminence speaker still in there. Your ears will tell you if the cab is struggling!
The 4x10 will comfortably handle the same 350 watts from the GK on it's own and sound good, but the two
cabs together should really sound the business if you can be bothered with the lifting / transport issues.
( From my experience of the Loud Inc 4x10's, they are good enough to use on their own.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/11/2017 at 16:04, casapete said:

Yes, the two cabs will each get around 250 watts (i.e. 50% each) of the GK's full 500 watts output, as they are
both rated at 8 ohms so should receive an even split of the amp's output.
You can also probably use the 1x15 on it's own as the amp will give around the same output (350w) as the cab
can handle, if it's the original Eminence speaker still in there. Your ears will tell you if the cab is struggling!
The 4x10 will comfortably handle the same 350 watts from the GK on it's own and sound good, but the two
cabs together should really sound the business if you can be bothered with the lifting / transport issues.
( From my experience of the Loud Inc 4x10's, they are good enough to use on their own.)

Thanks dude. I checked the speakers and they are indeed the original eminence speakers!

I was lucky enough to borrow a Little Mark III the other day and I LOVE it. It produces a very clean tone. How would you compare the LM III to the GK MB500 if you can? Mostly I play alt metal and reggae if that helps.

Edited by FarFromTheTrees

1 minute ago, FarFromTheTrees said:

Thanks dude. I checked the speakers and they are indeed the original eminence speakers!

I was lucky enough to borrow a Little Mark III the other day and I LOVE it. It produces a very clear tone. How would you compare to the GK MB500 if you can? Mostly I play alt metal and reggae if that helps.

I had an LM 11 and must say I prefer the GK. Both good amps IMO though.

The LM was okay but a little characterless for me, whereas the GK has a bit more output

( to these ears anyway) and just seems to sound a bit more old school.

15 minutes ago, casapete said:

I had an LM 11 and must say I prefer the GK. Both good amps IMO though.

The LM was okay but a little characterless for me, whereas the GK has a bit more output

( to these ears anyway) and just seems to sound a bit more old school.

Alright then, cheers. I may have to venture out to try the MB500 for myself. That means a 180 mile around trip to my closest stockist but I guess it might be worth it for the clearer picture :)