Why become a member? ×

FT: ACG J Type 5 String (trade only - NEW INFO)
£1400

thepurpleblob

I thought I would never part with this bass but it's a little bit too 'flashy' for what I need it for. I'm looking for something a bit more traditional.

This ACG is in fantastic condition. I have gigged it quite a lot but it's lived in a hard case and has been well looked after. Everything works - I can't think of any issues at all.

The picture is from ACG's site but it doesn't look any different now. I can't do much better than point you to the full details here - [url="http://archive.acguitars.co.uk/portfolio/0078-j-type-5-string/"]http://archive.acgui...-type-5-string/[/url]

The bass is currently strung with new-ish S.I.T. strings.

I am looking for a clean, 'quality' 5-string bass as an trade with a possibility of cash either way to adjust (not much from my way though). I'm completely in "I'll know it when I see it" territory so please try me and we'll see. Ideally something a bit simpler in the EQ department or even passive. Must be 19mm spacing at bridge. No singlecuts (Satan's bass!) or spiky instruments though :D . I'm not in a rush so no daft offers please.

I am just outside Glasgow and any inspection can be arranged and tea/coffee will be provided. I probably won't post this. I get cheap rail travel (wife in the business) so am happy to travel, meet half way, whatever for the right deal.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1502277452' post='3350384']
Scale length and string spacing?
[/quote]

Come to think of it, I have no idea what the scale length is. They were, I believe, available in 33, 34 or 35 inches. I'll measure it tonight and update.

The string spacing is 19mm at the bridge. What you would describe as a "broad neck" I think.

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1502280350' post='3350419']
Steady on Ian.

However would you justify another one ????

[/quote]

I couldn't Mike, but since when did that ever matter!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1502296335' post='3350550']
Having had the tape measure out...

Scale length is 34 inches.
[/quote]

Thank heavens for that... If it had been 35" my wife may have thrown me out!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1504625373' post='3366150']
You could change the preamp.
[/quote]

I'm honestly not sure what to do for the best. I could. I have a SansAmp RBI which I sort-of understand but the ACG preamp is a complete mystery (yes I have read the instructions). That doesn't make it bad - I just set all the knobs in the middle because I don't know what they do :huh:

It is just a Toné control for each pickup. Set up the tone you like on each pickup and use the blend to move between them. You can ignore if you wish the upper knobs on the second and third stack the first stack being the volume and blend. . Set the upper ring to zero on the final stack and ignore that stack completely. Then all it is a volume/blend Toné and Toné. Once you have that sorted out all the upper rings on the second and third stack make the tone control more pronounced. The final stack is basically a treble boost. Set the frequency with the lower ring boost with the upper. But it works perfectly well just using the second and third stack lower ring. It behaves just like a passive bass with a Toné control for each pickup.

Edited by skelf

• 2 weeks later...