Why become a member? ×

Seperating up a large WAV file

dazza14

my band played a support slot a few weeks ago and the sound man recorded the whole set onto a memory stick in a 43min WAV file.
I would like to cut down the file into the individual songs but have no way of doing this.
Is there a piece of software I can download or is there something easy on Windows Media Player or similar that I just haven't worked out yet?

All help... um, helpful.

Dazza

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1502210399' post='3350026']
Is it a multitrack wav?
[/quote]

I don't think so, I think it's just one big chunk of data.

I'll give Audacity a download and look into it further. Thank you for the advice

[quote name='dazza14' timestamp='1502352770' post='3350806']
I don't think so, I think it's just one big chunk of data.

I'll give Audacity a download and look into it further. Thank you for the advice
[/quote]

It's more than likely a stereo file. Audacity is easy enough to use for splitting it up. Once done, it might be a Good Idea to 'normalise' each of the chunks so that they all have a relatively even level..? Depending on the sonic result, mastering may be of benefit, too. Just for the anecdote, we had a desk recording of one of our concerts; there had been an error in the connections, making the whole thing sound muddy. One pass of a mastering tool brought it all up to very acceptable quality. Just sayin'.
If you have any difficulties with anything, there are many here that can either offer guidance or do the job for you, given the file. Good luck with it; we'd like to hear a bit of it, if it's at all palatable.

Having heard the full file again the sound levels are consistant, but I'll look at 'normalising' it before I split them.
Had a quick go at splitting them and it's not jumping out at me how to do it but hopefully I'll get time over the weekend to look at it more.