Why become a member? ×

The art of musicianship...?

Dmanlamius

Hey guys :)

I want to add an "art of musicianship" post or two to my blog. I made this video, here:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Ihf7mXGoE"]Art of musicianship...[/url]

...but I want to add more to it (I ramble on a bit), but as a text piece. Can anyone add anything or ideas about this subject? Of course, i'll make sure that you get a mention if I qoute you. :huh:

A good keyboardist friend who plays for Toyah Wilcox was telling me a story about this yesterday. It went something like this:

A chef goes into a restaraunt, looking for a job. He see's the manager, and the manger asks:

"Ok..can you cook?"

"Cook!? COOK?! I'm the best cook you'll ever come across in your life, matey. People have actually pased out whilst eating my food, because it IS that good!" The Chef replies.

"O.k...Can you fry an egg?" The manager asks.

"An EGG!? Pfft. I'll fry an egg better than you have seen in your life. You won't believe your eyes. Watch this."

At this point the Chef picks up an egg, and chucks it in the air. As the egg is falling, he twists on the spot two times, and quickly gets back in position just as the egg is about to hit the floor. Before it does, the chef quickly catches it with his foot, and flicks it onto the shelf. The egg rolls down the shelf, off onto another shelf, and drops into a dish, that is sitting right on the edge of the worktop. Here, the egg spins for a while, before the motion pushes the dish over the edge. The egg falls out of the dish, rolls along another worktop, and slowly comes to rest at the edge.

The Chef then claps his hands, and the egg falls from the edge, and into the frying pan, breaking beautifully and perfectly as it does so. The Chef then spins on the spot two more times, flicks the egg in the air, catches it in the pan before flicking it again onto the plate. It is...the most perfect fried egg the other chefs had ever seen.

"So." The Chef starts, proudly.

"Have I got the job?"

"No." The manger replies.

"You F*** around too much."
:huh:

Sounds interesting. I will view the video later on today and let you have my thoughts.

I have always found though that the best way to become successful as a musician is to smile, be polite, friendly, have a laugh and have a go at everything!

ped

[quote name='ped' post='320987' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:01 PM']Sounds interesting. I will view the video later on today and let you have my thoughts.

I have always found though that the best way to become successful as a musician is to smile, be polite, friendly, have a laugh and have a go at everything!

ped[/quote]

Thankyou, Ped. And of course, i'll make sure that people know that this subject is discussed here, with linky's etc.

:)

On the flip side...

I had my first gig a month ago and I'm afraid to say I had to peruse my notes in between every song, and spent most of the time in Quasimodo pose - ie. hunched over my bass staring intently at the fingerboard. To be fair I had only 3 rehearsals with the band prior to the gig.

Perhaps in time I'll loosen up. It would be nice to be able to acknowledge that there's an audience :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='320997' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:08 PM']On the flip side...

I had my first gig a month ago and I'm afraid to say I had to peruse my notes in between every song, and spent most of the time in Quasimodo pose - ie. hunched over my bass staring intently at the fingerboard. To be fair I had only 3 rehearsals with the band prior to the gig.

Perhaps in time I'll loosen up. It would be nice to be able to acknowledge that there's an audience :)[/quote]

Just remember that only one or possibly two people in the room will notice if you mess up little bits and pieces here and there whereas a large amount of the audience will appreciate you looking at them and smiling as if you are enjoying yourself ...

[quote]The art of musicianship...?[/quote]

...just turn up where you're meant to be (or have been told to be) on time - isn't that the fundimental rule of general musicianship? oh yeah, and don't f*** up :huh:

I agree with pretty much everything you've said in your video though, especially about listening to what is going on around you :)

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='OldGit' post='321018' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:50 PM']Just remember that only one or possibly two people in the room will notice if you mess up little bits and pieces here and there whereas a large amount of the audience will appreciate you looking at them and smiling as if you are enjoying yourself ...[/quote]

But spread the eye contact around the room - if your eyes get stuck on one particular girl in the crowd for too long, she might get uncomfortable and leave. Take it from me! :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='321018' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:50 PM']Just remember that only one or possibly two people in the room will notice if you mess up little bits and pieces here and there whereas a large amount of the audience will appreciate you looking at them and smiling as if you are enjoying yourself ...[/quote]

I don't think I looked like I was enjoying myself at all, I don't really know what I was feeling to be honest :)

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

[quote name='The Funk' post='321030' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:57 PM']But spread the eye contact around the room - if your eyes get stuck on one particular girl in the crowd for too long, she might get uncomfortable and leave. Take it from me! :)[/quote]

Ha ha yeah
or her man may come and have a quiet word with you later ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='neepheid' post='321090' date='Nov 3 2008, 05:06 PM']I don't think I looked like I was enjoying myself at all, I don't really know what I was feeling to be honest :)

Oh well, onwards and upwards.[/quote]

This has been mentioned before but practice in the dark so you have to hear and feel your way around the tunes ... Then you won't miss staring at your frets when you play live.

+1. Of course you should always strive to be perfect. But be comfortable with the fact you probably can't, so have fun and enjoy the ride.

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='OldGit' post='321104' date='Nov 3 2008, 06:26 PM']This has been mentioned before but practice in the dark so you have to hear and feel your way around the tunes ... Then you won't miss staring at your frets when you play live.[/quote]
Has it OG? I don't recall seeing this tip before, but then again my memory is comparable to that of a goldfish. Good tip tho. I'm well past the staring-at-the-fretboard stage, but I have a fear of playing a gig so dark that I can't see the fretboard. (Never happened yet, just one of them phobias :huh:). Gonna play through our standard set in pitch darkness tonight* to see what happens :) .

*along with the cd's. Can't do a rehersal in the dark. Peder (singer) needs crib-sheets (well for the songs in english anyway) and I don't wanna be in the same room with Arvid (drummer) in the dark :huh: .

[quote name='SteveO' post='321289' date='Nov 3 2008, 08:19 PM']Has it OG? I don't recall seeing this tip before, but then again my memory is comparable to that of a goldfish. Good tip tho. I'm well past the staring-at-the-fretboard stage, but I have a fear of playing a gig so dark that I can't see the fretboard. (Never happened yet, just one of them phobias :huh:). Gonna play through our standard set in pitch darkness tonight* to see what happens :) .

*along with the cd's. Can't do a rehearsal in the dark. Peder (singer) needs crib-sheets (well for the songs in English anyway) and I don't wanna be in the same room with Arvid (drummer) in the dark :unsure: .[/quote]

Yes, It's been recommended before. Not in this thread though :huh:

I was suggesting that as a practice technique for people who want to get away from being dependant on watching their fingers all the time to play.

If you need to read lyrics on a dark stage invest a few quid in a UV strip, hang it somewhere high on the stage and print the lyrics in big bold black letters on white paper. Then when the stage lights go out you can still see your lyrics / chord charts etc as the white paper glows in the UK.
Beware though, so does dandruff, some teeth and some contact lenses :huh: That's odd ...

Ah you should try side LED's. They are just brilliant (ha ha) for finding the right start note for the next tune in a stage blackout between tunes..

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='321105' date='Nov 3 2008, 05:26 PM']+1. Of course you should always strive to be perfect. But be comfortable with the fact you probably can't, so have fun and enjoy the ride.[/quote]

Yes I remember the huge weight that lifted off my shoulders (in about 1975) when I realised that unless you make a monumental error, no one in the audience will notice, and probably no one in your band either)
The fleeting, ephemeral nature of live music means that even if they do notice the odd duff note here and there it's gone in an instant anyway. The energy you put into being [i]entertaining[/i] will be remembered for a lot longer .

Very few people will say "Hey go and see this band, their bass player made no mistakes at all!!"
:)

[quote name='The Funk' post='321030' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:57 PM']But spread the eye contact around the room - if your eyes get stuck on one particular girl in the crowd for too long, she might get uncomfortable and leave. Take it from me! :)[/quote]
You obviously picked on the wrong girl.... the idea is that she's supposed to leave with you….!

I think that there is a danger of confusing the art of musicianship and the art of performance. Both are very valid but different.

Having watched Kris' video there is not much to disagree with. A good musician is conscious of context and understands that it is the overall piece that is important, not just our contribution. Having a wide range of skills and techniques means that you have more choices but choosing wisely is what makes the difference. Personally as something of a plodder I wish that I had a few more choices!

Can be a bit of a problem in some WMCs, when there's only one half-decent looking burd in the place and the rest are the sort that if you woke up next to them with your arm under them, you'd chew your arm off to avoid waking them.

It does mark something of a transition when a band goes from staring at the drummer all evening to looking at the audience.

Hiya, guys.

Yea, Elom is right. I mean in the sense of playing with other musicians, rather than entertaining etc...

And yes, Oldgit that's a good idea. I practice with my eyes closed a lot these days. Every now and again, you play a show and the lighting is non-existent or minimal. That is something you need to prepare for, lol...

Keep em coming... :)

[quote name='ped' post='320987' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:01 PM']have a laugh and have a go at everything![/quote]

As opposed to having a drink and having a go at everybody, which I can say with some authority doesn't work out so well.

[quote name='SteveO' post='321289' date='Nov 3 2008, 08:19 PM']I have a fear of playing a gig so dark that I can't see the fretboard.[/quote]

The first time I gigged my newly de-fretted Jazz bass I found myself in pitch darkness on stage, and the next song on the setlist opened with just drums and bass. I could *just* make out the side dots on my bass, but it used to be fretted so they were all in the wrong places.

Oh I had some great gigs back in the day. :)

Gigging is great fun and should be treated as such but yeah u still gotta hit the right notes.
If u dont depending on what piece your playin u can normally blag it.

I usually concetrate on the numbers where the bass is more prominent and then have fun with the numbers I dont have to worry about too much.
As for people in the audience knowing when you have made a mistake, no one seems to notice and even your band mates might not notice.
I played one gig where I was reasonable and then descended into poor, my bandmates said " U were really good tonight" I must have blagged better than I thought, I couldnt help but smile.

U are always learning, there is some bass lines I wouldnt have dreamt of attempting a year ago but with a bit of effort and persevearance u do get there in the end.

Above all else I agree with everything that has been said especially staring at one woman, the only way to get away with it is where shades..... :) :huh: :huh: