Why become a member? ×

1981 Wal MK I Custom (P.B. serial, Padauk) with original case: ***SOLD***
£3600

Etienne

[left]***NOW SOLD: 15/08/17***[/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1981 Wal MK I Custom, complete with original brown ABS hardcase. Serial Number P.B.1620.[/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I bought this lovely instrument from Basschat’s very own Gary Mac (see his advert here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/301050-now-sold-wal-custom-1981-four-string/"]http://basschat.co.u...81-four-string/[/url]) back in early March this year, having coveted my very own Wal for about twenty years. I’m [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]very [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]happy to have ticked t[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]he [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]box on the bucket list and [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]to have been its custodian for a while, but regrettably due to new life priorities, the time has come to move it on...[/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Aside from home use and a couple of trips to the studio (under a watchful eye), the bass has barely seen any action since I purchased it, so condition-wise it’s pretty much exactly as it was- it’s always stored in the case when not in use.[/font][/color][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There are some signs of user wear (as to be expected from its 36-year lifespan)[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], but nothing out of the ordinary for an instrument that’s been played regularly over the passing decades. The frets are still in good shape, and [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]al[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]l [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]hardware functions as intended. The truss rod operates smoothly and effectively. I will include a pair of Allen keys in the sale to enable truss rod, bridge and pickup adjustments to be made easily by the new owner. [/font][/color][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Since taking ownership, I have replaced the original Wal strap buttons with Dunlop Dual-Design straplock buttons[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- both [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]se[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] and [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] original parts are[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] included in the sale, [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dunlop[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] mounting hardware is completely unused and ready for installation on your own strap. The bass is currently strung with used but good condition D’Addario XLs, 45-105 gauge.[/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The bass was signed off by Pete The Fish, and is a beautiful example of an early PB serial ‘sandwich’ MK[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]I.[/font][/color][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The body alone is made from nine pieces, and features padauk front & rear facings, and triple-laminates of walnut/[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]m[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]aple/[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]walnut (I think- please correct me if I’m wrong!) underneath these, either side of the mahogany core.[/font][/color][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The neck is constructed with what looks to be hornbeam in the centre-block, with mahogany stringers, maple outer blocks, and a rosewood fingerboard (there’s no mention of the fingerboard on the build label, but it’s more than likely to be Indian rosewood). Considering the heavy-duty construction and materials, the weight is quite reasonable at 10lbs 10oz/4.8kg.[/font][/color][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The bass feels comfortable to wear with a wide strap and balances well.[/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Being an early MK I, this bass features a master volume control with a built in on/off switch, as well as the usual ‘pick attack’ control. The electronics are in full working order throughout[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], having been thoroughly inspected by [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]my flatmate[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], who is a professiona[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]l [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]electronics[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]builder/[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]repair[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]er [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]of good repute. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A buzzing issue noted shortly after buying the bass was traced to a pair of reversed wires on the XLR socket, and easily rectified. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In preparation for the sale, I have[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]also [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]had [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]him replace[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the pair of [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]aging [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]electrolytic capacitors on the lower circuit board [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]([/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]by[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] the transformer[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif])[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]with [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]modern [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]premium-[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]grade caps of[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] equiv[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]al[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ent spec… the original caps will be supplied in the sale as evidence of the work done.[/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]case is in good working order, and has done its job well over the decades. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]One minor issue is that the right-hand [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]catch is faulty, [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]but it still [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]latches[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]OK- there’s just a knack to doing it which I’m happy to demonstrate to the new owner, as was taught to me.[/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I’m looking for [s][b]£3600[/b][/s][b] SOLD[/b] for this lovely instrument- the price is absolutely firm, so no offers please. I am looking for a straight cash sale only, so unfortunately I cannot consider trades or part exchanges either.[/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Collection from Liverpool City Centre and payment by bank transfer is strongly preferred- I can provide a quality rig for potential buyers to audition the bass through, and I make a great cup of tea! Alternatively, I would be prepared to deliver this in person to most places within the UK mainland if my travel expenses are met.[/font][/color][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I am reluctant to ship this overseas due to the high value, but I will consider arranging this[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]at the buyer’s expense, providing that it is insured at its full value.[/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Please PM me with any inquiries or questions you may have… thanks very much for looking.[/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Etienne[/font][/color][/size][/left]

Edited by Etienne

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1502024095' post='3348787']
This is a superb instrument, someone will be very happy.

Glad you got the buzz sorted out, I can't believe I got that wrong.
[/quote]

It is indeed Gary- you know the instrument far better than I do!

The buzz was a really easy fix once my flatmate and I worked out what the source of it was- to be honest, you did a grand job putting it back together, so a couple of crossed wires is not a big deal :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1502024665' post='3348795']
Lovely bass in superb condition for it's age, excellent for sale advert and a very honest and long-standing Basschatter...

What's not to like?

GLWTS
[/quote]

Thanks for the props Nik! Hope you're well :)

[quote name='zomnius' timestamp='1502035823' post='3348877']
wow this is a serious beauty. love the paddouk since Aria's SB...
[/quote]

It really is a beauty! It's hard to capture the true colour, but the second row of photos from the top gives you a pretty good idea :)