Why become a member? ×

Light drive pedal for more aggressive tone

Graham

I’ve a Hookers Green Bassmachine for sale and it’s designed by Bjorn Juhl. It’s a darker sound than the bass soul food which is my ‘main’ drive pedal. I use a Hudson Electronic Broadcast as my always on ‘drive’ but it’s just adding some extra oomph from its transformer to the sound so not necessarily driving my amp. I’m not needing bags of drive so the mid character works more for poke in the mix.

The HGBM is a great always on drive if you want a darker tone or play a lot with a pick. I preferred the HGBM pick tone over the BSF. I think the mids were a bit too pokey with a pick on the BSF. Alas I don’t play much with a pick and on one of my two main gigs I play with flats and the BSF again works better for my needs in that set up. I’m limiting my pedal board to what fits onto a PT Mini so it’s not gonna change any time soon.

It’s always gonna depend on your rig, style etc. For me the BSF works well in my set up. A MojoMojo might be worth a look and appear to be pretty affordable.

Edited by krispn

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1510065026' post='3403667']
I think less high end could be correct but with the Low control it has heaps of bass. Not sure if you’ve tried one yet but trust me it’s got some bottom!
[/quote]

I've had one and A/B'd it with the Blueberry. It has good low end retention but the Blueberry goes noticeably deeper, maybe even boosting lows. It just didn't have the same mojo as it's Blueberry brethren though for me.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1510069018' post='3403718']

I've had one and A/B'd it with the Blueberry. It has good low end retention but the Blueberry goes noticeably deeper, maybe even boosting lows. It just didn't have the same mojo as it's Blueberry brethren though for me.
[/quote]

I knew you’d have actual real world A/B experience 😀 just didn’t want the casual reader to think the HGBM lacked low end oomph as I’m selling one 😉

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1510075276' post='3403803']
Which will be followed shortly by this- you would like this with your myriad of stuff

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/314694-new-hpf-and-lpf-blending-pedal-kma-audio-machines-tyler/page__pid__3402242#entry3402242
[/quote]

Basschat’s “like” button can’t come soon enough!

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1510168666' post='3404468']
Drive pedal has arrived now!
[/quote]

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing your detailed thoughts on how it stacks up against your beloved Two Notes le Bass once you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

Nope Al all wrong

Its the A and B channel and fusion modes , I am allowed a ranking or preference, I am not just picking 1.

What I have is the flexibility to dial in different tones between stuff from high to low gain.

Don’t get me face palming as well....!

Oh and not ducking, had to sleep and work!

Edited by Cuzzie

Visions of heads in hands and sighs of "oh no, seriously" all round Bass Chatter land...

Time to get yourself into a gigging band, Balloo, and make use of all this amazing gear you have...maybe call it the Bear Necessities? :D

Btw I'm sticking to my point that if you remove the A channel from the 2Notes, you still have an awesome drive pedal (and truly gorgeous when combined with a COG T16 octave). Remove the B channel from the 2Notes and you've got a headphone amp with moderate EQ capabilities Fusion mode just adds to the fun but unlike revenge is not necessarily best served cold.

[b]TC Mojomojo review[/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Had a chance to spend a little bit of time with the TC Mojomojo ("MM") this evening. Initial thoughts as follows...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]At the outset it's worth mentioning that the MM is better than any of my 4 favourite dirt sims on the Zoom B3n. I'm noticing that there is a slightly 'noisy fizz' on the B3n dirt sims whereas the MM provides a much cleaner more rounded dirt.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The MM has less 'clean fizz' than the Two Notes le Bass ("2Notes"). However, the clean fizz on the 2Notes adds a touch of what I call 'sparkle' but is not annoyingly (to me anyway) DG metal in the way the Zoom sims touch on. The 2Notes can do the 'just breaking up' with aplomb whereas the MM is not so good IMO at low gain; the more rounded sound and lack of 'sparkle' just results in a more muffled sound. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putting the MM 'voice' switch up makes it slightly brighter and combine this with treble up at 3pm, bass on flat (at 12 noon) and drive up at 3pm (increasing the drive increases the volume, so you need to compensate by dialling the level back, but fortunately you can). This results in a more aggressive over-driven dirt that is a good sound and being more rounded then works well. On its own, on this setting, I'm liking it as much as Channel B on the 2Notes (which is saying quite a lot!). They're different: like having a choice of Sandberg (rounded) and Ibby (bright).[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My favourite dirt sound, by a mile at the moment, is the combination of COG T16 clean octave and dirt. This sounds really good with the MM (certainly "good enough"), but it's even better when the COG T16 is paired with the 2Notes. There the 'sparkle' and octave just work great together to provide a rich wonderful dirt.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1510277083' post='3405313']
Just out of curiosity, who on this thread is a pick player and who is a fingerstyle player? Just wondering as that has a massive effect on drive tone Si
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Disclaimer[/b] - picking up on Si's comment at #71 all dirt pedal tests in the Krow household have been done with warm digits and no picks (whether plastic, wooden or metal) have been knowingly used or harmed in any shape or form.[/font][/color]

Edited by Al Krow