Why become a member? ×

Light drive pedal for more aggressive tone

Graham

I put together a comparison vid of the overdrives in my pedal drawer at the moment, thought it might be on interest.

Absolutely use headphones or decent speakers please :)

Recorded with my custom US Lakland 44-94 passive P/J (both pickups on, tone up full), slightly gigged 45-105 Lakland strings and a Dunlop 1.14mm pick.

Riff played into a TC Electronics Ditto, looped and recorded into a Focusrite iTrack Pocket after the pedals.

Pedal order is:

-COG Mini 66 (custom 'Seaweed' enclosure painted by Claire Cousins)
-Schalltechnik Guma Drive (Darkglass Vintage clone DIY kit)
-Fuzzrocious Dark Driving (in 'Dark' mode)
-Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery (BDPG)
-DHA VT1-Pro-Bass-Drive Preamp/DI (the only Tube pedal here. I just concentrated on the drive section and don't really explore the considerable EQ section)
-Fuzzrocious Demon
-COG Knightfall 66 (Prototype: Germanium diodes on channel 1, LEDs on channel 2)

This isn't meant to be a definitive demo of each pedal, more of an overview and how they compare tonally to each other.

Cheers

Si

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

You should try a buffer before the BDPG - I thought the one I had sounded terrible with a passive bass going straight in for some reason, but awesome with another drive pedal or even just a clean buffer in front!

I always thought it sounded great on its own, it kinda needs a cab to get the best out of it, not a DI recording. But you are right, it stacks excellently with other drive pedals.

Cheers

Si

Edited by Sibob

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

I put together a comparison vid of the overdrives in my pedal drawer at the moment, thought it might be on interest.

Absolutely use headphones or decent speakers please :)

Recorded with my custom US Lakland 44-94 passive P/J (both pickups on, tone up full), slightly gigged 45-105 Lakland strings and a Dunlop 1.14mm pick.

Riff played into a TC Electronics Ditto, looped and recorded into a Focusrite iTrack Pocket after the pedals.

Pedal order is:

-COG Mini 66 (custom 'Seaweed' enclosure painted by Claire Cousins)
-Schalltechnik Guma Drive (Darkglass Vintage clone DIY kit)
-Fuzzrocious Dark Driving (in 'Dark' mode)
-Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery (BDPG)
-DHA VT1-Pro-Bass-Drive Preamp/DI (the only Tube pedal here. I just concentrated on the drive section and don't really explore the considerable EQ section)
-Fuzzrocious Demon
-COG Knightfall 66 (Prototype: Germanium diodes on channel 1, LEDs on channel 2)

This isn't meant to be a definitive demo of each pedal, more of an overview and how they compare tonally to each other.

Cheers

Si

Right, I’ll set myself a reminder to play this video through my big ole monitors tomorrow! Thank you for taking the time to do this:)

• Thanks 1

On 15/11/2017 at 22:18, Al Krow said:

@Sibob Hey thanks for putting that comparison together, appreciated! Having just succumbed to GAS on another synth pedal already this week, Mrs Krow will be relieved that my Two Notes and Mojomojo are still both feeling very secure on my boards...B|

Oh I wasn't trying to convince anyone, t'was just for reference, was going to do it anyway :)

Si

On 11/12/2017 at 22:04, dannybuoy said:

You should try a buffer before the BDPG - I thought the one I had sounded terrible with a passive bass going straight in for some reason, but awesome with another drive pedal or even just a clean buffer in front!

That sounds a bit odd. The BDPG is basically a trimmed down Kreuzer on-board preamp with a boost (actually an EHX LPB-1 modded for more bass throughput) in front of it. Confirmed by Ryan Ratajski himself on TB...

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

That sounds a bit odd. The BDPG is basically a trimmed down Kreuzer on-board preamp with a boost (actually an EHX LPB-1 modded for more bass throughput) in front of it. Confirmed by Ryan Ratajski himself on TB...

I know it does - a preamp that needs a preamp before it to sound good?! I thought it was based on the Electronix Submarine preamp myself. Anyhow, all I know is it sounded pants with my passive P straight in, but glorious with any buffered pedal inbetween!