Why become a member? ×

SKB Bass Safe / SKB44RW Assemble! Two basses in the bass safe

biro

I am the lucky owner of an SKB Bass Safe, which has proved itself to be one of the best purchases I have made in the last few years. Grab a bass, stick it into a gigbag and fly without a heavy heart.

However, I remember reading some time back that it is possible to carry [i]two basse[/i] in the bass safe. This would be fantastic, since I just so happen to prefer to go carry my Jazz Bass and a five stringer if at all possible. So far, I have only tried to put two basses together in the same gigbag (not advisable, I think) and, while it is a snug fit, it's a fit.

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with double gigbags (or just one gigbag with two basses) and the bass safe. If that were to work, I'd call myself very lucky.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I have used a Mk 1 bass safe with a Levy double gig bag and it depends on the overall thickness of your basses. Anything with a radiussed top won't work so forget Warwicks, Spectors and anything semi hollow. Standard Fender type instruments with flat tops and hardware will just about be OK. The thinner the gig bag, the better for fit.

Normally I go with a guitar and a headless/semi hollow bass in a double gig bag. But on one occasion I wrapped a reliced guitar in microfibre towels (which can be secured with velcro cable ties) with a bass in a gig bag and it worked out really well.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1503499404' post='3358749']
I have used a Mk 1 bass safe with a Levy double gig bag and it depends on the overall thickness of your basses. Anything with a radiussed top won't work so forget Warwicks, Spectors and anything semi hollow. Standard Fender type instruments with flat tops and hardware will just about be OK. The thinner the gig bag, the better for fit.

Normally I go with a guitar and a headless/semi hollow bass in a double gig bag. But on one occasion I wrapped a reliced guitar in microfibre towels (which can be secured with velcro cable ties) with a bass in a gig bag and it worked out really well.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info Kiwi! Did you find that the 2 instruments were safe enough that way?

I am looking into fitting a Jazz Bass and a Mustang Bass into the SKB and flying with it... I guess I will only know for sure once I get it and try to fit both basses. I think that the MkII differs from the MKI in the locking system only IIRC.

Cheers!

Edited by Byo

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1503500721' post='3358761']
Thanks for the info Kiwi! Did you find that the 2 instruments were safe enough that way?
[/quote]
For the most part, yes. If you get two gig bags, go for the thinnest so you have enough room. The basses won't move around as much because they'll be jam packed so no need for the extra padding and they'll be protected from sharp impacts in the same way by the shell. If you're going to put other stuff in the case, make sure you are careful about sharp corners/edges and make sure the gig bag zips don't get caught between the shell and the instrument or you'll end up with a zip shaped indentation in the finish...as I did.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1503560770' post='3359083']
For the most part, yes. If you get two gig bags, go for the thinnest so you have enough room. The basses won't move around as much because they'll be jam packed so no need for the extra padding and they'll be protected from sharp impacts in the same way by the shell. If you're going to put other stuff in the case, make sure you are careful about sharp corners/edges and make sure the gig bag zips don't get caught between the shell and the instrument or you'll end up with a zip shaped indentation in the finish...as I did.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info Kiwi! I highly appreciate it as there is no genuine info online about fitting 2 basses into the case.

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1503688257' post='3360357']
Thanks for the info Kiwi! I highly appreciate it as there is no genuine info online about fitting 2 basses into the case.
[/quote]
You're welcome. Do it at your own risk though - it's a hack.

Thanks a lot! I have tried with mine (I suppose it's a MK2) and fitting a stratocaster and an Ibanez Soundgear in it seemed quite a tight fit. I might try if I have to, but it does not seem ideal I have to say. Perhaps a thinner bag might help.

I might add that I have the impression that MK2 bass safes might be a little smaller than their predecessor. Number one reason why I think so is that I have been having difficulties fitting a thomann top-of-the-line gigbag in it. True, its leathery finish makes it less slippery than it would be ideal to fit it in the safe smoothly, but still, it didn't look so big in comparison to a normal gigbag. I guess I will have to find a double gigbag and see if it fits.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive tried this with one of the older model ones (butterfly catches).

All ready to trial it on a trip to rehearsal, two squire precision, a 4 string and a 5 string. Both fit fine, left my room, went down the first step on the stairs, the catches decided no (not hard, only took a light breeze for them to pop open even with a padlock fitted). Lots of banging and watching in slow motion as half the case and both basses made their way to the bottom of the stairs very quickly. Didn't try it again.

In the end I toured with just one bass, but every time it come off the conveyor the case was in pieces.

On returning home went through a lengthy complaints procedure to SKB. Originally they just sent new latches, but in the end caved and sent me the newer model with a combination lock.

You'd probably be safe trying it with a newer one.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1504948857' post='3368460']
Ive tried this with one of the older model ones (butterfly catches).

All ready to trial it on a trip to rehearsal, two squire precision, a 4 string and a 5 string. Both fit fine, left my room, went down the first step on the stairs, the catches decided no (not hard, only took a light breeze for them to pop open even with a padlock fitted). Lots of banging and watching in slow motion as half the case and both basses made their way to the bottom of the stairs very quickly. Didn't try it again.

In the end I toured with just one bass, but every time it come off the conveyor the case was in pieces.

On returning home went through a lengthy complaints procedure to SKB. Originally they just sent new latches, but in the end caved and sent me the newer model with a combination lock.

You'd probably be safe trying it with a newer one.
[/quote]
Thanks for the advice Jimryan. I am certainly looking at the newer model as I believe that the older (MKI) SKB had many issues with the locking system.

Janek Gwizdala uses one (I believe it is a MKII) and he showed on his Vlog that he has to lock the case with zip ties on the handles due to the TSA lock eventually breaking, which leads me to think that the weakest point is the latch mechanism as it suffers from quite a lot of stress during travel.

I will get one anyways as I like the concept of the whole Bass Safe thing and will see how a J and a Mustang fit.