Why become a member? ×

F****r AE Precision build - Final PICS added!

honza992

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

Wow,This is a really lovely fretless.

Thanks for that!  

At the moment it's also sitting unfinished in a case.  Nothing major, but the electronics need finalising, it needs a string retainer, and a couple of imperfections in the finish need sorting.  I finally got to the point where the mess and chaos in the workshop was sapping my motivation - the endless tripping up over power leads, dragging a shop vac around from one machine to another, the endless looking for stuff!  So, I am in the middle of completely re-organising, getting power and extraction to every machine, assigning everything it's true and proper home from which it will never move (honest guv, I'll be tidy in the future).  And building a new table, workbench and shelving.  

This will be finished in January, I promise.  Probably.......

Merry xmas to you all, see you in the New Year.  Basschat is without question the friendliest place on the 'net :D

• 5 months later...
On 18/11/2017 at 10:27, honza992 said:

Ok here's a teaser photo.  Proper ones will follow....

IMG_20171117_124503_1_75_1.jpg

Saw this one in the flesh this afternoon.

It is so, so, so well built it's crazy.  And it's lightweight!  Top drawer on both counts :hi:

On 5/23/2018 at 17:48, Andyjr1515 said:

Saw this one in the flesh this afternoon.

It is so, so, so well built it's crazy.  And it's lightweight!  Top drawer on both counts :hi:

On 5/23/2018 at 18:07, TheGreek said:

I had "the real thing". If anything this looks better.

Good work that man..

:biggrin:  He he thanks guys that really means a lot to me.  This building thing is sometimes a solitary pastime, so having other people like what you do is ...well...amazing.  

The guy in the next door workshop is a photographer so did a couple of vanity shots.......

5.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1

• honza992 changed the title to F****r AE Precision build - Final PICS added!
17 minutes ago, owen said:

Just as well that is not a fretted 5 string!

Ha ha it's funny you should say that, but I've already (mentally) planned out a fretted version using the Graphtec Ghost piezo saddles set in a custom wooden bridge like the one on the fretless.  

pn_8304_00_an.jpg

If anyone has any experience of the Ghost piezos I'd love to hear!

Edited by honza992

I have a set of Ghost saddles in a bass. I once had a Bolin NS bass and foolishly sold it. I NEEDED something else. Live and learn - one day maybe. Anyway, it had a lovely, lovely piezo sound. I have tried to recreate that with this set of Ghosts. I have not managed, I do not know if it is the bass, the saddles or the preamp or a combination of all. They just do not bloom like the Bolin did. Mind you, nothing else has either (MM Bongo with piezo bridge and another custom).

On 5/24/2018 at 23:57, owen said:

I have a set of Ghost saddles in a bass. I once had a Bolin NS bass and foolishly sold it. I NEEDED something else. Live and learn - one day maybe. Anyway, it had a lovely, lovely piezo sound. I have tried to recreate that with this set of Ghosts. I have not managed, I do not know if it is the bass, the saddles or the preamp or a combination of all. They just do not bloom like the Bolin did. Mind you, nothing else has either (MM Bongo with piezo bridge and another custom).

That's disappointing.  Have you tried using exactly the same strings that you had on the Bolin?  

On 5/25/2018 at 04:37, Saved said:

I have this bridge

http://www.chguitars.co.uk/bridges/bass-bridges/b41-four-string-bass-piezo-bridge.html

In a 40" p-bass.I was expecting a huge boom,eath moving sound,and i get a very clean sound.If i play only the piezo bridge,i can turn all the way up the bass knod,and all the way down mid and treble knobs in my amp,and stil the sound is clean

40?!?  Inches?!?!  That is insane.  Any pictures?  (sorry to hijack my own thread...)

How would you compare the piezo and magnetic P sound?  I did think about putting a traditional pickup on this build (and may still do at some point), but assumed I would put a jazz in the bridge position.  Do you ever mix them?

This 40" bass,soon will be my short scale..

check this out

here is a pic of this

IMG_20170123_235306.thumb.jpg.0b6bda7db0b31b0109b1edb929c8bff8.jpg

In this pic,it has the normal bridge.

i dont have piezo preamp on it.The piezo goes in a jack.The magnetic pickups go with these ways:

parallel: the P straight to one channel in stereo jack (no vol no tone) and the mudbucker have push/pull tone (like the yamaha attitude II) and series/parallel & in/out phase and to the other channel of the stereo jack.

series:i can use them in series with a toggle switch in the back side,that makes them go in series and the tone control with the other wiring affecting only the mudbucker.

To compare the sound of piezo and magnetic,as i said,piezo is CLEAN.Cut everything in your EQ and boost the bass,and you have a bassy sound without booming.

There is also a huge difference in the volume level

1 hour ago, honza992 said:

That's disappointing.  Have you tried using exactly the same strings that you had on the Bolin?  

I did, but the Bolin had a Fishman OEM piezo pickup and preamp set up that I could not source.