Welcome to the new site. We hope you enjoy it. We also hope you like this little sticky note. You can send them to each other or to yourself for reminders. 

Have a read of this thread (click) where I describe some new functions.

Take some time to try the new content search, maybe set up your own custom search and make it your bookmark.

A note about PMs - please read the note in the link above about PMs from the old site.

Thanks for visiting, and enjoy.

(you can dismiss this note so you won’t see it again)

Sign in to follow this  
Manton Customs

Manton Customs Build Diary Thread

Posted (edited)

Thought I'd stop littering this section with separate threads for each build and consolidate into one thread containing current builds. Be warned though it's not just basses...there will be guitars too! Some builds will be for sale also, so if you see something you like get in touch. All B.C members will get a 5% discount.

I struggle to find time to document everything so it won't be all the builds I'm currently working on, mainly just the highlights. Also thanks to the fact Photobucket decided to charge a fortune for pic hosting this thread will give me chance to post some previous work here too, as the pics I've posted elsewhere on this forum are now dead. So here's a picture dump of some of those:

Titan 5 string bass

38trNK9.jpg

A 32" scale Echo MK II in trans black with Ebony board

EoX8x2B.jpg

A natural version with Rosewood board

JqWnxs4.jpg

A True Temperament guitar version

r1FOChx.jpg

A Les Paul inspired Origin model

D8ATMBI.jpg

More coming soon, a couple of the current builds I'll focus on are a 32" P bass, a chambered fretless 5 string (also 32" scale) at present.

Edited by Manton Customs

Posted (edited)
Now moving onto a current build the aforementioned fretless 5 string. It's just been completed so I'll post some finished pics in the next couple of days, in the meantime here's the spec and some of the progress pics.

This one has been named the conquistador, partly due to the fact it's inspired by a Spanish Parlour guitar. I've also run with that theme a bit...But more on that later.

Specs
32" scale
Fretless 5 string
String through body
AAA grade Rosewood fingerboard
100+ year old 1/4 sawn Oak neck
Chambered thin Walnut body for lightweight
Pear top with black binding
Compass Rose F hole
Handmade brass and Rosewood bridge

Here's the body template, the open areas are the chambers which will be covered by the top/control cavity.

The Rosewood fingerboard

Here's the neck wood, a 1/4 sawn Oak beam salvaged from a barn, it's at least 100 years old and more likely much older, due to this it was super stable and did not move a millimetre throughout the build. Not the most attractive piece of wood in this state, but once planed (below) it was beautiful.

A planed face of the neck.

The Pear top, which has a wonderful understated elegant look to it, unfortunately this pic really doesn't do it any justice!

More soon... back to work spraying a guitar neck for now. Edited by Manton Customs

Posted (edited)
Carrying on with the Conquistador...

Here's the Walnut for the back...And that's the last picture of blanks without sawdust.

Here the neck blank has been planed and the headstock angle cut. I was trying out the wooden plane on the left as it was a recent acquisition, it performed nicely! Can't quite remember why I ended up taking the pics on the grass though!

Smoothing out the Walnut with my trusty Stanley no 4 1/2 which sees action on every build! I love the way handplanes make the wood shine like you can see in this pic. Edited by Manton Customs

Back cut out and chambered.

Top glued on and trimmed.

Neck pocket routed for (corners will be trimmed with chisels)

Neck cut out and truss rod routed for.

Posted (edited)

A quick mockup.

The headstock now with Pear cap to match the body.

The radius jig. Slightly misleading pic as I use a router with it, but I use the smoothing plane afterwards to remove any cutter marks...quicker than sanding!

Nice thin shavings!

The neck with fingerboard glued down...yes I missed the obligatory clamp shot, shame on me. Edited by Manton Customs

Drawknife action

...more drawknife action

Brass position markers, these squares for the 12th and 24th, brass dots for the rest.

Post draw knife action...

A fun before and after shot of the neck.

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Time to make a bridge, this is the shape of the bridge base, it's inspired by the shape of the Conquistadors helmets (below) and it'll have a brass saddle adjustable for height. The wood itself is some nice Rosewood to tie in with the fingerboard. I sliced a section off on the bandsaw, rough cut out (also on the bandsaw) then shaped it by hand with files, scrapers and sanding. Then I routed a slot for the saddle to sit in.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]An actual Conquistador helmet.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Here's the brass saddle, this was also cut from a larger block, then I filed in my radius.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Tapping the holes for the height adjustment screws.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Screws installed[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]The finished bridge...sorry about the blurred pic, but you'll get to see it later on the bass! Any questions on the process feel free to ask as that was a bit of an edited run through having lost some pics along the way.[/size][/font][/color]

Back to the body, drilled for the neck attachment ferrules and rounded over the edge.

A compass rose "F hole" to tie in with the theme.

Black binding added.

Now the pickup has been routed for, string through holes drilled and a couple of coats of oil have been applied.

The back.

Next up the finished pics!

Posted (edited)
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Thanks, here's the finished pics![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Thanks for watching this build, next I'll be focusing on a 32" scale P bass inspired build.[/size][/font][/color] Edited by Manton Customs

On with the next build, the Paradigm. Based on a P bass, yet slightly smaller, lighter weight, better balanced and in 32" scale.

The body template, it's very similar to a Precision, except the upper horn is longer and the rest of the body has been reduced to stay in proportion with the new shorter scale.

I think there might be enough Maple here for a bass neck or two...there's about 5m here!

The bass is to have a 3pc laminated neck, so here I've ripped it into strips and put them through the planer. The joint the planer produces is fine, but I like to fine tune it a little bit as seen here. It only takes a couple of minutes for all lams.

Here the lams have been glued up.

I then rip the blank in two, to get two neck blanks from one glue up.

Here's the rather nice AAA grade Rosewood fingerboard for the build.

The neck cut out and glued fretboard glued up.

More soon, thanks for watching!

Into the radius jig!

Some clay dots.

Frets in

Rough shaping the headstock scoop/transition.

Neck carving with the trusty drawkinfe

Shaping the transitions with chisels.

More soon, thanks for watching.

Some shots after the carving, but before sanding! A sculpted heel on this one rather than the P basses usual blocky heel.

Moving onto the body

A nice 1 piece Alder blank.

Cut out

This build is getting a control plate rather than a pickguard, so here I have routed for it.

...dust extraction must have not been working that day :o. And no the metal plate is not made by Recticel, that's the reflection from my shop roof insulation!

Ferrules in place of a neck plate

A quick mockup.

I really like the simplicity of this design.

A light tint on the neck to bring out a bit of warmth.

The base colour for the burst sprayed, it looks a bit more goldy than it actually is here.

A wide burst as requested by the customer and hardware mockup.

Assembling!

[size=4]Here's a shot of one o[/size]f the current guitars neck in progress, a rather nice figured Ebony fretboard which is for one of my Echo MK II models.

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Here's the body for the neck posted earlier. Sort of a natural relic where the wood tells a story, with cracks knots, wormholes and loads of character...AKA a Barncaster in our Echo MK II shape. The large cracks will be filled black to ensure it's solid and highlight the features. The knot will be left as is and it's getting a Seymour Duncan P90 pickup.[/font][/color]

The back.

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
Here's another build I started recently. This one is/will be a 6 string bass. The body wings are Yew which have some great character to them, the middle is Walnut with some Yew accent stripes. Still plenty of work to go, in this pic the body has just been glued up and cut out.[/font][/color][color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
The neck will be a 3 pc Walnut and Wenge Laminate[/font][/color]

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A Wenge and Black Limba neck with Macassar Ebony Fretboard, this one is for an Echo MK II commission.[/font][/color]