Why become a member? ×

A couple of P builds

Bridgehouse

Got a pair of bodies and necks on the way (due to be delivered tomorrow!)

One is for a friend and the spec is agreed on for it (so it will be a surprise as I go through it :) )

The other, however, is going to be built up as a gigging bass - relatively low cost etc.

So the specs?

- Alder PJ body (x2)
- Standard P neck, rosewood board, 1.75" nut & 7.5" radius

For my gigging bass, I'm going to do a satin amber tint neck, and it will be a relic.

The question is, what colour to go for? It's a gigging bass, so preference is bright, cheery, pastel or bling as I'd like it to stick out a bit....

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1501798346' post='3347492']
Got a pair of bodies and necks on the way (due to be delivered tomorrow!)

One is for a friend and the spec is agreed on for it (so it will be a surprise as I go through it :) )

The other, however, is going to be built up as a gigging bass - relatively low cost etc.

So the specs?

- Alder PJ body (x2)
- Standard P neck, rosewood board, 1.75" nut & 7.5" radius

For my gigging bass, I'm going to do a satin amber tint neck, and it will be a relic.

The question is, what colour to go for? It's a gigging bass, so preference is bright, cheery, pastel or bling as I'd like it to stick out a bit....

[/quote]

I'm so glad you didn't mention the little six stringed elephant in the room. Heeheehee

I'm part way into a kit of parts for a tribute build. It's my first but already I am looking towards the next! My motivation is to end up with a five string extra long scale bass that I can afford but that will play well and survive (an imagined) life on the road.. Home build is how I've chosen to achieve my aim.

In your research did you notice if Fender supply a 35inch scale neck off the shelf? I tried to use the Fender website but my browser doesn't seem to like it. Am I expecting too much looking for a five string 35inch neck production finished with frets ready to be put on a body of my choice perhaps?

For your gigging bass, I always thought that Fender's pastel blue looked eye catching in an understated way. Perhaps that?

I am interested to see how the relicing process works for you.

Edited by SpondonBassed

The bodies and necks were sourced from a UK Luthier - but he doesn't advertise widely at all. My contact with him came via another popular UK online forum.

I specified the nut width, and other specs - I'm sure 35" scale could be specified too.

If you want some details then PM me.

The Tele body and neck are also getting built up (as an Esquire) but I didn't think you lot would be as interested in these ;)

Started the first neck - for the gigging bass.

Now for this build, as I'm going hardcore relic, I wanted to start with that in mind, so I've gone for a much darker tint and tried to give it an uneven coat so that there are some darker areas than others - hopefully looking like lacquer darkening over time.

Anyway, masked up:

First coat of tint:

Once dry to the touch (not long in the sun!!) - it's time to give it some relic treatment. I'm doing it straight after spraying to allow me to rub back (less of the belt sander look) and it means the relic'ing will harden as the lacquer does..

Here's pre relic:

Then, it's on with the various sharp and blunt bits of metal, the 600 grit wet and dry, and some 0000 wire wool. Oh, and some shoe polish :)

Edited by Bridgehouse

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1501866088' post='3347936']
Good job, I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses. :)
[/quote]

Quite possibly slowly :)

Tomorrow I'll get some sanding sealer on the body - but I don't have a colour for it yet!

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1501838192' post='3347652']
The bodies and necks were sourced from a UK Luthier - but he doesn't advertise widely at all. My contact with him came via another popular UK online forum.

I specified the nut width, and other specs - I'm sure 35" scale could be specified too.

If you want some details then PM me.

The Tele body and neck are also getting built up (as an Esquire) but I didn't think you lot would be as interested in these ;)
[/quote]

Many thanks. PMd

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1501958705' post='3348514']
That's looking well aged. You can imagine that it has absorbed the nicotine out of lots of basement gigs.
[/quote]

Just the look I was going for - very aged, played often in smoky clubs, but looked after and not abused!

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1502103900' post='3349287']
interested to see how you do the checking and body relic. What did you do the the tuners, or did they come like that ?
[/quote]

Not got the tuners yet - but it will be documented ;) I usually go for a scuffing/denting then vinegar vapour suspension..

Checking will be freezer then sunlight - but it's got to harden off first!!

Bit more neck relic'ing.

Now the lacquer has dried some more, I've started to relic the exposed wood. I use a 6B pencil - rub it on the exposed wood and then rub off with a finger. It gives the wood a more subtle grey-slivery aged look rather than a bright "I've just knocked my bass" look!!