Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! To the dark side Build One - Alembic-esque Electric

Andyjr1515

It's like an iris close up. Really lovely, that.

I see exactly what you mean, Pea Turgh :)

In the meantime, the back has had its first coat of gloss:
KaHN9jwl.jpg

The neck will be left unvarnished - a tru-oil slurry and buffed neck has to be felt to be believed!

The top and sides have had their second coat:
qEd2hxkl.jpg

I'm using standard Ronseal Hardglaze as usual. The only thing I've changed since they altered the formulation to save the polar bears, is that I now brush it on with an artists fan brush (the budget ones seem absolutely fine) rather than wipe-on. The formulation change started giving issues when I tried to add enough thinners to make the wipe-on approach work properly. The advantage is also that the new formulation does seem a little thinner anyway so brushing becomes feasible with the subsequent reduction of the drag on such a fine brush. Edited by Andyjr1515

Looking great...The way this is going I don't think you'll be able to give it away...

Start thinking up your excuses now...

Ah....but remember it has a sister build...and that one is for me. :D

Normal stuff, of course, my own one will always tend to take the back seat :rolleyes: Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1510263944' post='3405227']

So it does :)
[/quote]

Dilemma:

If you point out the Spaniel image to the friend who commissioned the build, he'll never be able to unsee it.

It will always be the 'Spaniel Guitar'.

Personally I'm not sure I'd be able to resist.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1510267993' post='3405267']

Dilemma:

If you point out the Spaniel image to the friend who commissioned the build, he'll never be able to unsee it.

It will always be the 'Spaniel Guitar'.

Personally I'm not sure I'd be able to resist.
[/quote]
Ah...but I know where the Hannes bridge is going. Problem solved ;)

With the slightly odd way I do gloss finishes, it's often a case of knowing when to stop. Sometimes trying to get from good to perfect actually makes it worse :rolleyes:

This isn't perfect - but in real life it looks pretty amazing:
FxZfJtKh.jpg

vN4MYpth.jpg

YBaMbQOh.jpg

I've still got to do at least one more coat on the top and sometimes that means having to redo the back, but, failing that, this might be where I stop for this side :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

And this is probably the final gloss coat on the top.

It is dust buggy free but there are still very fine brush lines from a slightly 'draggy' varnish in spite of it being warmed a touch and using a very fine fan brush.  Having said that, I'm pretty sure they will polish out once the coating is fully hard:

dPmRk68l.jpg

• Like 1

Onto the final tasks while the gloss varnish hardens enough to polish it up (about 2 weeks from last coat)

The main one was levelling, recrowning and polishing the frets.  Done :)

EMYOnBCl.jpg

I'm pleased the subtle figuring in the ebony still shows after the final treatment :)

• Like 1

More still to do than perhaps it looks.  In house builders terms, we are at the 'First Fix Snagging List' stage ;)

X6huayRl.jpg

fTxmVGEl.jpg

The pickups are in, with sparkly covers subtley dulled with some Tru-oil Conditioner (basically T-cut!) and gold adjustment screws working against bass pickup type foam buffers.  The tuners are final-fitted.

Snag list, so far not too bad.  It includes:

• A couple of high spots on the frets
  • Bridge is sitting a tiny bit too high (about 1mm).  I don't want to slot the saddles so, instead, I will score round the whole unit and carefully chisel the required drop - only needed in the black saddle area as they individually flex a few degrees up and down from the gold base fixing base
  • Number one fretmarker is off.  Bugger.  Teeny, tiny amount but it would bug me so has got to be sorted!  Luckily, with an ebony fretboard it's an easy and invisible fix
  • The fret ends (spherical) are too prominent.  The fret ends are now well clear of the strings so I'll go for a more standard chamfer.
  • The nut (still loose fit) is a bit high and, once I've reduced that, the truss-rod cover will need slimming a tad.  Easy job.

Other than the remaining jobs of magnetic catches, electrics installation, volute tidy up, strap locks and final polish that were already on my list, that should be it.

6 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Did you say this is to be a showpiece for AJR guitars Andy?

If not, I am sure you'd struggle to find a better example of your art.

I'm waiting eagerly to hear news of how it sounds now.  No pressure.

But actually no - that's the sister build that is shaped like the piccolo bass.  It's the same woods so should look pretty similar but with that one I'm going ultra-light and ultra slim.

That one is progressing slowly in the background but will generally always be second fiddle time-wise because it's for me so there are fewer time expectations ;)