Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! To the dark side Build One - Alembic-esque Electric

Andyjr1515

Hi

I know, I know, I know....it's not a bass. But I HAVE done a lot of basses in the past year and one or two of you DID say that you would forgive me doing an *spit* electric build as long as I did a build thread for it, and so that's my excuse ;)

I am pushing it a little, though, because I'm building not one but TWO electrics - this one for a guy from one of the other forums and another one for myself - which I will start on another thread entitled, imaginatively, "To the dark side Build Two" :D

So this one...

Alembic build fantastic bass guitars. But they also build 6-string electrics. What Tim has asked me to build is an 'in the style of' build. Definitely not a clone - an Andyjr1515 custom build but with some respectful tugs of the forelock towards that impressive range.

Basic spec will be:

• Closed top semi acoustic construction. ie, fully chambered but no 'f-hole'
  • Fancy burl top, cutting through into mahogany back
  • 5 pieceThrough neck, but only visible from the back. I'm going maple/purpleheart/mahogany/purpleheart/maple
  • Piezo saddles and 2 humbuckers, with the associated electrics
  • A couple of Andyjr1515 features that I will outline shortly

So, the body shape will be :
9ZHR0eyl.jpg

The top will be bookmatched and will slim down to reveal the wenge demarcation veneer and the underlying mahogany back at the arm relief and the edges. Got a nice piece of bookmatched camphor laurel for this:
TNBThLDl.jpg

The figuring will contrast even more than this when the finish has been applied.

The neck is presently being clamped while the glue dries but is being laminated like this:
COI3BIsl.jpg

As I will be doing two builds in parallel (something I generally don't do) this will take a touch longer than normal, but I'm still hoping for a timescale within three months :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

Had some time off?? Outrageous!!

There are BCers out there in build following withdrawal and you build a [i]6 string guitar[/i]?? I bet you think that it's OK...shame on you!!

Well at least it isn't a Strat copy I suppose...and the idea of [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]bookmatched camphor laurel burl and enclosed semi acoustic body will be interesting. We all know that Tim (not [i]the[/i] TIM is it??) will be more than happy, not sure if he deserves it though, after all he is a guitarist ([i]spit!![/i])[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]OK, we'll let you off this time, but don't do it again!![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ;)[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color] ;)

BTW love the Psilos!!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1501695093' post='3346684']
Had some time off?? Outrageous!!

There are BCers out there in build following withdrawal and you build a [i]6 string guitar[/i]?? I bet you think that it's OK...shame on you!!

Well at least it isn't a Strat copy I suppose...and the idea of [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]bookmatched camphor laurel burl and enclosed semi acoustic body will be interesting. We all know that Tim (not [i]the[/i] TIM is it??) will be more than happy, not sure if he deserves it though, after all he is a guitarist ([i]spit!![/i])[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]OK, we'll let you off this time, but don't do it again!![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ;)[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color] ;)

BTW love the Psilos!!
[/quote]
:lol:

And no - it's not [i]the [/i]TIM :)

Thanks, folks :)

The neck laminations have glued up nice and tight and gap-free - this will now be tidied and squared up. I will be getting a neck for both builds from this one bass-length assembly (one of the reasons why I'm breaking a rule and doing two builds in parallel.

Excellent quality from David Dyke as usual - and an added and unexpected bonus...it's birds eye!:

In the meantime, Tim has sent me a bridge to use on it....and what a bridge!:

I'm a fan of Schaller products (and service!) but this is something else. It just oozes quality...

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1501750644' post='3347042']
Cool!

Following with interest and awe, as usual. :gas:

No pressure, Andy, but everyone's watching :lol:
[/quote]
That can be quite a beggar when the chisel slips and takes off the headstock..... :lol:

I've been finishing off a fretted alternative neck for a lovely Wal which has distracted me for a few days, but all of the main components for this are now sorted ready for cutting to shape, that is -

neck (maple / purpleheart / mahogany); back (mahogany); top (bookmatched camphor laurel):

You can probably see how I'm going to get a second neck out of that beam!

And with the glue dry, the top is cut out. This is it slightly dampened to show how the figuring will come out:

There are some rich colours in there, probably better seen in this sunshine shot:

This is going to tone and contrast with the mahogany back beautifully...

Talking of sunshine, the camphor laurel is a very 'hole-y' wood. It's very stable but many of those burrs are actually gaps. Here's the sunshine shining through:

These will be filled with epoxy mixed with ebony dust - I keep a jar of ebony sandings just for this kind of job. When it's done, it will look like it was always there and, indeed, further enhance the look of the burls...

Next job is to finish-thickness the neck beam and cut out the two necks from it :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1502532328' post='3352033']
And with the glue dry, the top is cut out. This is it slightly dampened to show how the figuring will come out:

There are some rich colours in there, probably better seen in this sunshine shot:

This is going to tone and contrast with the mahogany back beautifully...

Talking of sunshine, the camphor laurel is a very 'hole-y' wood. It's very stable but many of those burrs are actually gaps. Here's the sunshine shining through:

These will be filled with epoxy mixed with ebony dust - I keep a jar of ebony sandings just for this kind of job. When it's done, it will look like it was always there and, indeed, further enhance the look of the burls...

Next job is to finish-thickness the neck beam and cut out the two necks from it :)
[/quote]

Careful now. You're description of the Camphor Laurel was bordering on religion. Heeheehee.

I'd be tempted to put some blingy particles in a clear resin to stop up the gaps. I am just a big tart at heart though. It's not like you haven't got enough eye catching features in those grains. Wow. Just wow.

• 3 weeks later...

OK - two steps forward and one step back on this one.

Having leveled and squared up the neck beam, then thicknessed it down to the 55mm width to match the fretboard width where the body meets the neck, I was able to cut the mahogany back wings. They are oversize and will be routed later, using the camphor top as the template (yes, I know - that needs the words of caution, "Children, don't try this at home!")

My method of doing thru-necks varies, but is also a little unconventional.

I will be routing a notch in the neck that the mahogany wings will be glued flat with and the top will sit in, flush with the top of the neck. However, this needs to be routed at an angle to give me the required neck angle. I did the calcs on paper and then simulated the real thing:

There's belt and braces for you! :)

Trouble is, then I recklessly decided where to actually rout it :rolleyes:

The observant of you will notice something a little amiss:

The body sections are in the right place in relationship to the nut. Hmmmm....but the part of the top that meets the neck notch is, hmmmm, the top cutaway. And maybe it should have been the BOTTOM cutaway?

There's no option but to order more wood and redo the neck. It has to be said, I don't often make really big boo-boos like this so I reckon I'm owed a few :lol:

I'll keep this neck - you never know, someone might ask me to build a 3/4 scale at some stage. In the meantime, new wood has been ordered, received and glued, ready to start all over again :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1504193800' post='3363315']
The body sections are in the right place in relationship to the nut. Hmmmm....but the part of the top that meets the neck notch is, hmmmm, the top cutaway. And maybe it should have been the BOTTOM cutaway?

There's no option but to order more wood and redo the neck. It has to be said, I don't often make really big boo-boos like this so I reckon I'm owed a few :lol:

[/quote]

Your zen calmness is admirable. I would have thrown the neck through the nearest window!

I once cut out a body only to realise I had the template on upside down so the nice wood was at the back and the knots and worm holes were at the front. Would have been fine for a lefty, but, well I'm not......Numpty :gas:

[quote name='honza992' timestamp='1504215712' post='3363518']

Your zen calmness is admirable. I would have thrown the neck through the nearest window!

I once cut out a body only to realise I had the template on upside down so the nice wood was at the back and the knots and worm holes were at the front. Would have been fine for a lefty, but, well I'm not......Numpty :gas:
[/quote]
I've got so close to doing that in the past... Thankfully, the approach of checking 38 times before cutting usually gets me by ;). In this case, I should have checked 39 times!

[quote name='honza992' timestamp='1504215712' post='3363518']
[/quote]

A lad did that at my guitar building class the other week. The instructor didn't notice either! Luckily it was the neck template so he's now making a reverse headstock telecaster! They had just finished cutting the truss rod channel when I pointed out the error. Doh! :D

Edited by Norris

Anyway...I'm pleased to report that this is now back on track.

Here are the components:

That will fit together like this:

The two mahogany wings will line up with the notch in the neck, giving a full-width flat surface for the top to be glued onto. The notch itself incorporates a 2 degree drop to create the correct height range for the bridge (a lovely Schaller piezo jobbee)

Next task is to sort the position and sizes of the various chambers and cable runs before gluing the wings to the neck...

Tim's spec includes an enclosed (ie no f-hole) semi-acoustic-with-centre-block approach, trying to get it as light as possible but without compromising balance, etc.. This means a major chamber in the top half, most of which is routed into the rear mahogany wing:

Note truss rod slot is also now cut.

The wall thickness of the chamber thickens at the top horn to give plenty of meat for the strap button, but also thickens at the top of the lower bout to allow the 'sucked lozenge' (as Tim describes it) cut through that he has also asked for. This will be similarly done as on Kert's camphor-topped bass which many of you will have seen before:

Tim has sent me his recently purchased fancy Schaller pre-amp so that I can now work out the optimum size and shape of the control chamber to sort out the lower wing cuts and routs before they are then both glued to the neck.